Just wanted to express the importance of safety gear.

jearnshaw

In another post I stated I accendtly did a burnout by that I mean when I thought I was in second gear and went take off and it turned to be in first along with a rear tire past its wear bars it turned to be an eventful evening.

And for the gear I was glad to be in full gear from head to toe. When I got home and everything seemed fine except for a scuff on my boots and one small mark on the side of the visor. It wasn't til today I found my gloves took must of the punishment. The leather over the armored knukles wore through and there was some heavy abrasion on the plams and one had a small hole torn through the leather. If I had my summer gloves on I would be certain my left hand would be broken. Time to upgrade my summer gloves to something more armored.

My cowokers laugh at me with all gear on but it does pay off.

linkgt

Glad to see you made it out ok. My coworkers question me too my gear too, especially my cold weather gear. Drivers simply do not understand :p

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

latony007

hot

I have lost more water and weight wearing my jacket this summer than I care to. Its been so hot but I hate riding without it, has the armor and leather is thick as heck. It has a couple vents but there was a couple occasions this year I just couldn't take it with me for the heat so I am def. going to get a mesh armored one next year. If anyone knows any good ones let me know. I also wear boots and 90% of the time gloves but have never worn pants. I just guess I have always felt comfy in jeans and don't want to have to completely redress myself just to goto the store.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member
I am guilty of not wearing all my gear. I only wear a helmet and gloves. So hot here in Florida to wear anything. Shorts and T-shirt for me. I'm gonna have to get used to the heat and wear all my gear.

latony007

I am guilty of not wearing all my gear. I only wear a helmet and gloves. So hot here in Florida to wear anything. Shorts and T-shirt for me. I'm gonna have to get used to the heat and wear all my gear.
I never go out without pants at least :)
just the odds of bumping into the bike and burning my leg are enough for me, never mind going down. I see guys in shorts and flip flops all the time and it makes me cringe. You should check out a mesh jacket too. I checked the ones listed about but at least 200. I need a bargain model since im mostly in my leather.

I never go out without pants at least :)
just the odds of bumping into the bike and burning my leg are enough for me, never mind going down. I see guys in shorts and flip flops all the time and it makes me cringe. You should check out a mesh jacket too. I checked the ones listed about but at least 200. I need a bargain model since im mostly in my leather.
I have a mesh jacket with padding and it has a removable winter liner. With or without the liner I sweat something awful. When I come in after a ride with it on my family always asks me if it is raining outside cause I am soaked in sweat. Kind of nasty if you ask me. LOL!

latony007

I have a mesh jacket with padding and it has a removable winter liner. With or without the liner I sweat something awful. When I come in after a ride with it on my family always asks me if it is raining outside cause I am soaked in sweat. Kind of nasty if you ask me. LOL!
Ok bordering on TMI there :)
Those winter linings are useless, even here where there is no real winter. The thing is that even though it doesn't get below say 50 on the coldest day of the year if you grew up here that's freezing and I need a heavy leather with the lining ! found something on leather up and jafrum for like 60. ill put in on my birthday list since its already cooling down.

JFresh

I had the same issue. Then I got a light gray/red Rev'it Airwave jacket, and it was awesome on the 90+ degree days with high humidity.

xleeb0y13x

You'll never find me in shorts while riding but a tshirt is a must on hot days. That's when my armored vest comes in handy. Lots of air flow but with chest and back protection.

Sent while running with scissors.

Fizzi6ergal

I always ride with gear on. I recently just bought a pair of boots to complete my outfit yay! I went down to Sacramento/Carmichael area this last weekend and it drove me absolutely NUTS to see all the motorcycle riders wearing shorts, flip-flops, and tanktops. Oh! And the non-DOT approved helmets. Unless they took the sticker off. But the newer helmets have the DOT sticker under the clear-coat.
My husbands coworker showed me a story of a girl down in Cali that went for a ride on the back of her boyfriends bike in shorts and a tanktop and ended up falling off the back of the bike cause he punched the throttle and she wasn't expecting it. She ended up going down and had to have like 5 different sets of skin grafts on her left side of her body. She told her story and she races to this day after that accident. She said she wouldn't go out again without any gear on.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Fizzi6ergal

YES! It was. Thanks for reminding me the website! I think everybody should read her story. It really inspired me to wear my gear. I definitely wouldn't want that to happen to me. I've seen other photos of people that wear flip-flops and ended up grinding their skin down to their bones. The pictures were hanus(if that's how you spell it).

MegaManX

I have lost more water and weight wearing my jacket this summer than I care to. Its been so hot but I hate riding without it, has the armor and leather is thick as heck. It has a couple vents but there was a couple occasions this year I just couldn't take it with me for the heat so I am def. going to get a mesh armored one next year. If anyone knows any good ones let me know. I also wear boots and 90% of the time gloves but have never worn pants. I just guess I have always felt comfy in jeans and don't want to have to completely redress myself just to goto the store.
Hey Tony! you don't have to go to a mesh jacket to be cool in SoCal, I use a Dainese perforated leather jacket and it does the trick nicely!

anticsd

I rode in shorts once to my local CVS to buy some soap. Lesson was learned when my bike got really hot and burned the side of my knee.

The CVS was 4 blocks away from my house and I swore never to where shorts when on a bike no matter what.

The gear I'd always have on is helm and gloves. I'm guilty with the icon stryker chest piece on extremely hot days, and would wear knee guards on long trips or unfamiliar roads.

latony007

Hey Tony! you don't have to go to a mesh jacket to be cool in SoCal, I use a Dainese perforated leather jacket and it does the trick nicely!
I bet! i checked it out and at 1/10 the price of my bike i bet it is nice LOL. It certainly looks nice and i do love leather over mesh or textile or whatever they call it. Not sure id shoot my wad on it though. I only paid like 150 for my regualr and its thick as hell with armor. It sure dropped to a normal temp. quick so im back into my regular jacket now but still would like something fairly inexpensive for the month of heat.

ylwf3vr

I wear most of the gear when riding. I wear my MILSPEC (neon-yellow) vest, reflective belt (long ways) on my backpack, armored gloves, boots (unforunately not motorycle boots but my Army boots), leather jacket, and helmet. I do wear just jeans, just can't afford few pairs of the motorcycle pants right now.

Here in Hawaii there is no helmet requirement. Heck until few months ago there was no seat belt requirement (from what I hear). So there are plenty of people in shorts, FLIP-FLOPS, sunglasses, and T-shirt rolling around in Busas or Harleys.

That's their choice, but I'd like to be somewhat safe. Some say "if you have a serious crash on a bike no amount of gear will help".. but I tend to think it'll help SOME..

jearnshaw

From what I was told from people that have been in accidents they said"I would rather deal with broken bones then road rash".