Just rode one.... I'm sold

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

danieljardim

Went to a Yamaha demo day at OC Yamaha earlier today.

Was going to try the FZ6R, FZ8 and FZ1 just for the hell of it, but it became really obvious after riding the FZ6R, that the benefits of the more powerful bikes would almost certainly be completely lost on me at this point. In truth, I kind of managed to spook myself a bit towards the end of the ride and decided it was best to quit before I scared myself into doing something dumb. Realistically, not any problem that an hour in a parking lot won't solve, just needed a bit more familiarity with the bike.

Was a nice 10 mile loop with some nice curves (not really twists) in the hills and a freeway segment at the end. Coming from a very docile, but less stable 250 motard, I was impressed by the smoothness and stability, while still quite capable of making it turn as much as I wanted to. On the freeway I kind of surprised myself with how fast I got going without noticing it. I will want to put the seat in the higher position, but that's about all I'll need to do.

The only other bike I've considered is a Ninja 650. Have ridden the older version and while the new one looks nice and is supposedly a bit smoother, I don't believe there is anything they could have done to it that would make it ride as nicely as the FZ6R.

Now, I think just a matter of time. Will get some pictures of my KLX250SF this weekend and see what it'll fetch. Bought it cheap enough that I doubt It'll end up costing me more than a few bucks per month for the 8 months I've owned it. Nice rental.

Dealer still has a few 2011s at a very nice price that he's trying to get rid of, especially the copper ones that apparently aren't all that popular but I kind of like with the fairing decals gone. Unless I can find a used one with low miles and a motivated seller, that's probably my direction. Actually been seeing some used ones asking as much and sometimes more (after all costs factored in) compared to out-the-door on a 2011. Obviously more bargaining power on a used bike. In any case, not in a rush, but hoping for something to ride faster and longer this summer.
Good luck. I love the cooper. Couldnt fine one on the price i wanted bought a raven about 3 months ago. Just love it.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member
Last edited:

jocampo

Went to a Yamaha demo day at OC Yamaha earlier today.

Was going to try the FZ6R, FZ8 and FZ1 just for the hell of it, but it became really obvious after riding the FZ6R, that the benefits of the more powerful bikes would almost certainly be completely lost on me at this point. In truth, I kind of managed to spook myself a bit towards the end of the ride and decided it was best to quit before I scared myself into doing something dumb. Realistically, not any problem that an hour in a parking lot won't solve, just needed a bit more familiarity with the bike.

Was a nice 10 mile loop with some nice curves (not really twists) in the hills and a freeway segment at the end. Coming from a very docile, but less stable 250 motard, I was impressed by the smoothness and stability, while still quite capable of making it turn as much as I wanted to. On the freeway I kind of surprised myself with how fast I got going without noticing it. I will want to put the seat in the higher position, but that's about all I'll need to do.

The only other bike I've considered is a Ninja 650. Have ridden the older version and while the new one looks nice and is supposedly a bit smoother, I don't believe there is anything they could have done to it that would make it ride as nicely as the FZ6R.

Now, I think just a matter of time. Will get some pictures of my KLX250SF this weekend and see what it'll fetch. Bought it cheap enough that I doubt It'll end up costing me more than a few bucks per month for the 8 months I've owned it. Nice rental.

Dealer still has a few 2011s at a very nice price that he's trying to get rid of, especially the copper ones that apparently aren't all that popular but I kind of like with the fairing decals gone. Unless I can find a used one with low miles and a motivated seller, that's probably my direction. Actually been seeing some used ones asking as much and sometimes more (after all costs factored in) compared to out-the-door on a 2011. Obviously more bargaining power on a used bike. In any case, not in a rush, but hoping for something to ride faster and longer this summer.
The fz6r is a fantastic bike! And totally agree. It has the perfect balance between power and handling. It is also good with gas and insurance is usually cheaper than other similar bikes.

But to be fair, give yourself the chance and try the new Ninja 650. While is not an in-line engine, Kawasaki has modified its design and has almost no vibration. I've being told that it is also better with gas.

But overall, if you pick the Yamaha, you will be pleased. It is also a very reliable bike.

By the way, don't go over 8k OTD, if you buy new!

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member