Just joined the uncool kids club

Spanky's Monkey

Taking the MSF next month and I want to have all my gear ready for the riding portion. I actually brought my bike first and just got my temp plate today. Not riding yet cause I don't know how. So anyway in my search for protective gear I decided to settle on hi viz. Here in Decatur, IL it seems to be very uncool to wear gear. Most riders with gear only wear a helmet and little else. Well I've always been different and I think my choice of gear will reflect that. Still waiting on my Bell Vortex Manifest helmet and I'm going to get the Olympia AG4 pants to go with my AG5 jacket. I love the fit of the jacket and the Alpinestars Ridge Air boots feel good during the break-in period. Walking around the house in the boots feels like I could wear them while hanging out as long as I'm not hiking anywhere.

Reflective strips in the Airglide 5 jacket plus a rain liner and removable thermal insert sounded great to me. Rain liner can be worn zipped in the jacket or over the jacket. It's a nice setup with some great features to make wearing while riding comfortable.

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Drennan57

Nothing is more cool then wearing good gear. I don't know anyone who thinks not wearing gear is cool. Riding without gear is like telling everyone to steer clear of you because you obviously don't know what you're doing.

Be cool, wear gear.

MrFrzZ

No one here wears much gear.the only piece of gear I see on most sportbikes is a helmet. Im looking into an arai defiant helmet as my next purchase. I went with a leather jacket as my first and I recommend it over textile due to the fact that we are inexperienced and leather can handle a down or two.

Spanky's Monkey

I was looking into leather but I really need something reflective I can feel comfortable wearing late in the day. Bikes just don't stand out enough at night around here.

MrFrzZ

I hear ya. My leather is a very bright orange. And I am a very large individual. Lol it looks like they're painting lines on the road when I have a line of traffic behind me. Lol

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

mzzgaby

Don't have a recent pic of me on my fz6r yet, but in this pic I've got Sidi Vertigo boots, Drayko Drift kevlar jeans, Joe Rocket Phoenix gloves with hard knuckles, and a Vega hi-viz vest over my Revit mesh jacket (mainly wear it during days wear my leather Teknic jacket is too hot for me to bear).

Some friends/coworkers have teased me about the vest, but I feel better when I wear it. AGATT is my motto... A guy nearly ran me off the road while I was riding with my bf in staggered formation, you never know what's gonna happen but it's better knowing you did everything you could to prevent it!

Last edited:

Spanky's Monkey

Woot woot! ordered the Airglide 4 pant to complete my gear from head to toe.

Nothing wrong with what you got. Better safe than sorry, especially if you're not confident/skilled enough to make quick decisions that could prevent or cause a bad time. I have some old Truant bike boots and a Speed & Strength textile jacket for 100 and ended up over time upgrading back/shoulder/elbow pads. I plan to upgrade my helmet (Speed & Strength SS700) that I've had since I started riding in 2012. But, I need to save up and try to not let it fall or get banged up.

Richie21

I live in Arizona which allows you to not wear a helmet. I grew up in California and have always been used to wearing one. Anyways during the summer it can get 115 degrees out here. I couldn't imagine falling even going just 15 miles an hour. That asphalt would be hot! But even in those triple digits I always wear everything. It's not about what people think. It's about your safety

Spanky's Monkey

So far I've put in 1,400 miles since I have learned to ride and I can't imagine riding without my gear now. Yea at times it can feel a little stuffy when sitting still but that's not a problem cause I try not to sit for long anyway. I get compliments all the time on my gear so it's a little cooler then I initially thought, lol.

davet7469

I'm glad your not paying attention to what everyone else is doing. In my area ( columbia, MD. Most of the people i see are just with a helmet, but still i gear up everyday. The one day i didn't i was moving and had my gear in the moving truck. I was went to my new place when it was dark and had my first accident. Luckly it just involved me in a low slide, but man i wish i had my gear on.