Just got scammed on Craig's List

Sirnice

I was looking to buy an iPad 2. Saw an ad in CL for a brand new sealed one for $420. Talk to guy down to $400. We meet up after I got off work. Exchanged cash for iPad 2 which is sealed and he even gave me a gift receipt from Target (You probably know how the story ends). Got home, ate dinner and was excited to play with it and relaxing after a long day of work. Cleaned my hands, grab the box and removed the plastic wrap carefully and open the box...Mo@#$@#$#F1@#!$@#%@ a freaking book and cotton ball paddings. I've been scammed!!!!

Immediately I picked up my phone and called, no answer, I text him and he replied. He basically called me a liar and said "run that shit on someone else" and it's on me. He then told me I take it back to target with the gift receipt...like I would make a fool of myself and commit fraud like that returning a book claiming to be an ipad2.

Please advice on what I can do about this. I have his cell phone number but no name.

I want to get this son of the @#$#@$#@5.

Update: 9/16/2011 9:35am.
Called Montgomery police department last night and was told I had to file it with another police department where the incident took place (IKEA in College Park)

Called PG county police department to file a report, police officer called me back about 15mins later and the conversation lasted only about a minute. I told her the story. She basically told me it's my loss and she will not be filing a police report. There was not traceable payment methods used. It's CL, all most everyone pay in cash and meet in person. I guess they'll dismiss all frauds unless you pay with a credit card or check. I'm getting a little frustrated with this.

Last edited:

Deputyfarva252

Well your only option is too find his name , adress using a cell phone search site which you will have to pay for , unless you have a hook up at a cell phone store , and sue him civially but the burden of proof is on you to prove your case and even then you might not ever get your money . It might just be a REALLY expensive lesson , you should have checked it right there on the spot .....I hate it for you but thats life :surrender::surrender::surrender:

CrazyCawi

I would have asked him hey do you mind lets open it up right here and watch him get nervous.

Deputyfarva252

Blocking your number works except on the actually phone records and he can get in trouble for harrassing phone calls , call the cops report the douche and if you can try to get your money back great if not go back to post one

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

This guy is a rookie....Sirnice call me. 320-266-8733 Ill tell you how to handle this.

Rookasaki

Deputyfarva is right. Its a civil matter, nothing we can do. However, the sting ops might be a good idea. We have a local DA investigator who does sting ops on cragi's list. If you do talk to law enforcement, ask if they have any officers that do that... Sorry brother :(

Last edited:

roadrat

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

roadrat

What's a "sing ops?"
When the guy gives you the fake ipad you start singing "Now your messin' with a sonofabitch" by Nazareth. Then punch him in the face.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyXz6eMCj2k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyXz6eMCj2k[/ame]

Last edited:

Mr Citrus

When the guy gives you the fake ipad you start singing "Now your messin' with a sonofabitch" by Nazareth. Then punch him in the face.
post of the day.

Sirnice

I called the local police department and they are sending an officer to my place to take down a police report.
$400 is not a big loss but would love to stop him from doing to to someone else.

Update:
Police officer stopped by but unfortunately she did not write a report because the transaction took place in PG county and not Montgomery county.
I will contact PG county police tomorrow.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

I called the local police department and they are sending an officer to my place to take down a police report.
$400 is not a big loss but would love to stop him from doing to to someone else.

Update:
Police officer stopped by but unfortunately she did not write a report because the transaction took place in PG county and not Montgomery county.
I will contact PG county police tomorrow.
ahhhh PG county........(me = st mary's co. resident)

really sorry to hear that. there's no way to track this dude down with the cops? you have the text messages as some sort of record. still have the CL ad?

best of luck bringing this scumbag to justice.

Detrich

dang, i can't believe there are still ppl doing stuff like this to ppl... sorry to hear this happened man. :(

Sirnice

Maybe I'll read that book from cover to cover and gain more than $400 worth of knowledge :). When life gives you lemons, you make lemon pie and share it with your neighbors. OK that helped a little but I'm still pissed...:mad:

dang, i can't believe there are still ppl doing stuff like this to ppl... sorry to hear this happened man. :(

b_who

Oh man i work at Target and this is happening a lot
there buying the plastic wrapping off ebay, wrapping and then getting a blow dryer and tada its sealed and filled with usually old batteries

we had some dumb ass do it 8 times to us and our AP(assets Protection) just let it pile on till he hit x amount of dollars so now he's getting a felony and all kinds of stuff

sorry this happened to you man

if he bought it at target look at the receipt and see if he slipped up and used a credit or debit card so he can be tracked down
i know most targets save up to a month of video and all recipts are time stamped so u might have luck finding the prick if the police can use the info off it

Bay area rider

Sorry about your experience bro...:mad:

Peeps like this deserves their face stuck to my knee while I do my corners :rant: