just got mine... now i'm stressed.

bocolo

After much reading, reviewing, and test riding, I decided to go for the Yami yesterday over the Ninja 650. They even had the color i wanted (blue), so I rode it home within a couple of hours. Excited, I put the dog out and went out for a long ride through the city, and out to the country for a little break-in.

2 hours later, I was in so much pain all I wanted was to get home and take it back to the dealer. My back was screaming at me, my wrists were numb,
and my neck was throbbing from the weird sitting position i was in.
All of this was a shock to me, since hours-long trips on sportbikes usually don't bother me... heck, i feel great after spending 3 or 4 hours on my tiny Ninja 250 hunched over, engine screaming down the freeway.

SO. Anyway, i went home, frantic to raise the seat and maybe adjust the handlebars to see if that was the problem.

Raising the seat does help a bit, but I've decided that the main problem is
that the handlebars are too high, and the grips too far apart.

So my questions are:
has anyone else had a similar problem? Has anyone tried lowering the bars, or replacing them with something smaller, more compact? Is this even an option?

I'm stressed because I was planning on selling the 250 and put the money towards the FZ6R, but now i'm not so sure. I feel like i'm stuck with a bike that is awesome in every respect except ergonomics... :(

U

urbanj

I'd give it at least a week. get your body used to the new position. No two bikes will have the same ergos. Concentrate on not leaning on your wrists and activate your core to keep you upright. Also, you should be adjusting everything there is to adjust to make the bike comfortable for YOU. even a slight rotation of the levers can make a huge difference if originally they made your wrists coc ked. Good luck!

fz6rwolf

That's surprising. This is the most comfortable bike I've been on (and the vtx1300 I had before was pretty comfy). I'm 47 with not the greatest back and I can ride this bike for hours.:confused:

neshi

How tall are you?

The way the bike is set up stock might not be right for you!

My dealer had me sit on the bike and they adjusted the bars for me to make it feel as good for me as possible!

Try doing this bringing the bars froward a little might help. Might be different for you but a bike does not feel good to me unless there is I can flap my arms like the chicken dance while holding the bars!

M

Moses195

Will be interesting to see how tall he is. It took me (6'3") about 6 rides before I learned a few things. Mainly not over-leaning on the bars. My arms must be short tho because I still think I want to sit up straighter.

fz6rwolf

I'm thinking of 1" risers, usually there's no wrist pressure but if a slight downgrade I can feel it and I think the bars just a bit higher would help. Other than that I even think the stock seat is pretty decent (and I have a bony ass) as every other bike I've had to get an aftermarket seat.

R

rockmurf

Take a couple of advil before you ride next time. Also as stated the dealer should have had you sit on it and adjust it to you. That is what you pay for in the prep fee. Otherwise it is just a break in for you and the bike. Don't panic, bars can be adjusted/replaced as can seats etc. Hang in there no bike comes off the shelf perfect. Enjoy your new ride the writeups on it are great.

joloy133

Sorry,.... but an upright position is just more comfortable. Every review has commented on the riding position favorably. Unless you're on the track, U do not want to be on your wrists. Every long distance touring bike is designed to be fairly upright as your center of gravity is best balanced/positioned over the hips. Even moto X bikes are upright and u know the pounding those guys take. If the bike is uncomfortable to you, something is up. Hope it works out 4 you. GL

K

keira

Sorry,.... but an upright position is just more comfortable.
Not for every rider. I am not a fan of the position of the FZ, as it makes my back hurt as well.

Once Rob changed out his front forks, it is not as bad anymore, but still bothers me after a little while. I don't know if it is ergos for me, or if it is the bumps in the road traveling up my spine, but it is very very painful. Try changing the fork oil and/or springs and get it set up for your weight. out of the factory, the FZ i only rated for a rider approximately 110 lbs.

Good luck.

Edit to add: I did not realize this was the "R"....I was referring to the FZ6....possibly the same problem though?

F

FZ1inNH

How tall are you? Inseam? Weight? Are you holding on too tight? Elbows locked?

Sometimes it's just not the right bike... I tried a friends SV650 and couldn't go more than a half mile. My hips totally locked up!

Sorry it isn't what you expected but like others said, give it some time and try relaxing on it.

reiobard

Not for every rider. I am not a fan of the position of the FZ, as it makes my back hurt as well.

Once Rob changed out his front forks, it is not as bad anymore, but still bothers me after a little while. I don't know if it is ergos for me, or if it is the bumps in the road traveling up my spine, but it is very very painful. Try changing the fork oil and/or springs and get it set up for your weight. out of the factory, the FZ i only rated for a rider approximately 110 lbs.

Good luck.

Edit to add: I did not realize this was the "R"....I was referring to the FZ6....possibly the same problem though?

Inversely, the SV650S makes be hurt so bad that i can't move if i ride it more than one day... 2 days and i wake up and my lower back is completely locked up and i can barely function. It also proabbly has a lot to do with your position, I know that the SV is not comfortable to be because i could be in better shape....

As a suggestion try some bar risers and Grip Puppies. cheap mods that could make a world of difference for you.

dblakeman

I had the same problem the first few days of riding this bike. I learned that I was leaning to much on the handle bars. Know I can ride for hours without any problem.

S

Shinn

A lot could be how you are riding. I had a 250 ninja before, and an SV650S and the FZ6. All three had different positions of riding, and all three had their comfortable positions. After the SV, I was putting too much weight over the front of the FZ and it caused a lot of pain. Finally realized what I was doing and fixed my posture. No problems on my bike since.

If certain fixes just won't work though (bars, grips, etc.), could be the bike just isn't meant for your body. I can not ride cruisers that have the feet forward position easily as my hips tend to lock. I love supersports/superbikes, but the high knee bend kills my bad knee. Some bikes (like my SV) I found kill the wrists, others like a ducati 999 can hurt the back. All personal preference though. Some people find things comfortable other's don't.

L

lonesoldier84

how fit are you? if you arent very fit then some muscle exercises will be just what the doctor ordered.

im not implying you are some 900 pound fatty, I am just saying some of your core muscles may not be very developed as they arent in many people these days. particularly lower back muscles tend to be underdeveloped in TONS of people. so too can be forearm muscles.

bocolo

I think the forum change deleted my post... :confused:

Oh well...

After raising the seat, my back no longer hurts, but I've realized
the main issue i'm having is that the handlebars are all... wrong.

They're too wide, they're too high. The distance from me is okay, so
i don't think trying to switch the setting on them will help.

Someone suggested rotating the bars a bit, but that wouldn't affect their.."spread." The FZ1 bars are nice and flat, but they look even wider.

I've not done much bike-modding, is changing this stuff hard?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I think the forum change deleted my post... :confused:

Oh well...

After raising the seat, my back no longer hurts, but I've realized
the main issue i'm having is that the handlebars are all... wrong.

They're too wide, they're too high. The distance from me is okay, so
i don't think trying to switch the setting on them will help.

Someone suggested rotating the bars a bit, but that wouldn't affect their.."spread." The FZ1 bars are nice and flat, but they look even wider.

I've not done much bike-modding, is changing this stuff hard?
It's not going to be hard if you can find direct-replacement parts. In other words, if you can find handlebars that you like and fit without extensive modification, then yes it will be easy. However, with as new as the FZ6R is, we are still a bit behind in aftermarket parts.

I suppose, if you have the know-how and means, you could always remove the grips and shave the ends of the handlebars. This would essentially shorten the span, but I don't think that would be the ideal fix in this situation.

bocolo

Does anyone have any experience with these?
FZ1 Yamaha Handlebar

I love the way they look, and i'm thinking that since they fit the FZ1...
and FZ1 bars fit the FZ6... then they might work.

The problem might be that they would knock the fairings though...

el paso

out of the factory, the FZ i only rated for a rider approximately 110 lbs.

Good luck.

I don't believe any standard bike is set for 110 lb. riders. The spring rates almost always are set for 160-170 lb. riders. Moreover, there are plenty of reviews of the FZ6R, including the current Motorcycle Consumer News, that rave about the suspension. Obviously very subjective, but no 110 lb rider in any of them.

Verranth

I too experienced some pains adjusting to the bike. I just got mine 4 weeks ago, and my wrists and lower back made themselves heard after 30 minutes of riding.

After some practice I noticed, like other have mentioned, that my riding position had a lot to do with it. I raised the seat, sat more upright, and stopped leaning over the bike so much. This causes you to have a better weight distribution through your back and into your hips. The downside? Wind in your face. But the double bubble can fix that.

5'7" - 180lbs - inseam 30".

It took me about 8 days before I found my comfortable spot. Hope you find yours.

-R