Just found this section, heres my story

micigniter

My friend bought an 09 yamaha fz6r. Didnt know how to ride. I knew how to ride so im like "yea, sure buddy ill drive it home". Wrecked it 5 min off the lot into a parked car. 7300 out the door.....6700 to fix. This was june of last year. All cosmetic work. I broke my leg and nose. I now own this bike, its fixed by yamaha techs, everything is back to factory. Now i just took a low sider in the canyons. Hit some dust piles. Another 3 grand worth of fairing, gas tank, crank case cover, etc. 1700 miles on it! It'll be out this sat just in time for a poker ride. Am i a squid or what? I know it sounds bad but i chalk it up to being a 24 year old noob and ill get better with my technique. Im not a speed demon, dont like to go fast in the twisties, i like to enjoy the scenery. I love speed, however in a straight line of course.

ME_with_a_B

Those sound like some pretty dangerous accidents. Its a good thing you're okay.

Have you ever taken any kind of Safe Riding class? Perhaps some formal instruction would do you some good... and break you of whatever habits you have that continue causing you to wreck...

My advice: SLOW DOWN

Have you ever taken any kind of Safe Riding class? Perhaps some formal instruction would do you some good... and break you of whatever habits you have that continue causing you to wreck...

Good advice.......or just stick to four wheels! Seriously, if you have that big of a problem with riding, its not worth your life!

MikeN02

I second this. I had no idea how to ride a motorcycle, never rode passenger but I did know how to ride a bike.

Couple months before that my friend taught me a little about the clutch in his car and I stalled out a lot. When I went to take the course I still didn't know what it did but now I have more knowledge than I did 2 years ago.

MSF course is great and I recommend it not to just get your license but to learn.

micigniter

Thanks for the encouragement guys. except for PRO NOOB. I've taken an msf course, and have ridden on and off for years. Im in socal, and here canyons rule all, and weather is prime. Not having any problems riding, not scared to lean,very comfortable with controls,i know all about the bike(now) im just un knowledgeable road wise. Hit the dirt and that was it. Shredded my gloves but otherwise gear was fine, helmet didnt hit the ground, it was a left hand downhhill turn at about 20. Im a solo rider and i dont know many who ride so it sucks, i have to go through the learning curve myself. Anyways yea ill see if i can scrounge some pics(and bad memories lol) for you guys...i def have pics of my broken nose. And yea, my buddies tell me the same thing, a 17 grand fz6r. hilarious. But hey, im no bafoon guys. Im just new, 2 wheels is the only way to fly. I see these vegetables driving these cars man.....they just zonk out behind a wheel. Im more addicted to the mental exercise part of riding than anything. I dont want to become a literal vegetable by any means.

Last edited:

ME_with_a_B

...very comfortable with controls,i know all about the bike(now) im just un knowledgeable road wise.
I hate to be a negative-nancy, but its not the road that's causing your crashes. Perhaps you don't know as much about the bike as you think you do.

flyingminno

Thanks for the encouragement guys. except for PRO NOOB. I've taken an msf course, and have ridden on and off for years. Im in socal, and here canyons rule all, and weather is prime. Not having any problems riding, not scared to lean,very comfortable with controls,i know all about the bike(now) im just un knowledgeable road wise. Hit the dirt and that was it. Shredded my gloves but otherwise gear was fine, helmet didnt hit the ground, it was a left hand downhhill turn at about 20. Im a solo rider and i dont know many who ride so it sucks, i have to go through the learning curve myself. Anyways yea ill see if i can scrounge some pics(and bad memories lol) for you guys...i def have pics of my broken nose. And yea, my buddies tell me the same thing, a 17 grand fz6r. hilarious. But hey, im no bafoon guys. Im just new, 2 wheels is the only way to fly. I see these vegetables driving these cars man.....they just zonk out behind a wheel. Im more addicted to the mental exercise part of riding than anything. I dont want to become a literal vegetable by any means.
That stuff does happen unfortunately, all we can do to prevent it is know the road and obey our limits. On what road and where about did you low-side at, just curious if it is a road I am familiar with. Just make sure you don't push the limits on roads you don't know, especially if there are signs of dirt on the sides.

micigniter

I hate to be a negative-nancy, but its not the road that's causing your crashes. Perhaps you don't know as much about the bike as you think you do.
no, no, thanks for that, seriously. I'm just trying to absorb everything, its also why i joined up here. Thats an excellent way to look at the other spectrum of my comment. I def have alot to learn.

Last edited:

micigniter

That stuff does happen unfortunately, all we can do to prevent it is know the road and obey our limits. On what road and where about did you low-side at, just curious if it is a road I am familiar with. Just make sure you don't push the limits on roads you don't know, especially if there are signs of dirt on the sides.
Oh you prob do. It pretty well known by the locals. Its called Litte Tujunga Rd. Or "Little T" by the locals. Heres a link with pictures of this magnificent road. I also use this site frequently to find new roads to drive, there are hundreds. I also think that might have been my problem....perhaps the road was too advanced for my skill level.

Little Tujunga Rd, Los Angeles Co Motorcycle Ride Roads, Southern California

Last edited:

flyingminno

Oh you prob do. It pretty well known by the locals. Its called Litte Tujunga Rd. Or "Little T" by the locals. Heres a link with pictures of this magnificent road. I alos use this site frequently to find new roads to drive, there are hundreds. I also think that might have been my problem....perhaps the road was too advanced for my skill level.

Little Tujunga Rd, Los Angeles Co Motorcycle Ride Roads, Southern California
Oh yeah I've ridden that before, pretty road. Another good road, but I warn it requires an even higher skill level than the adjacent Highway 39 to Glendora Mt. Rd., is the route from Glendora Mt. Rd. to Glendora Ridge Rd. and finally Mt. Baldy Rd.
There is about a ten mile stretch on Glendora Ridge Rd. that is two-way road, so needless to say it can get exciting. I'd Recommend trying Highway 39 (Azusa Canyon rd.) first to familiarize your self to the road and the bike. Though, keep in mind that highway 39 DOES NOT link up with highway 2 due to road closure.

Glendora Mountain Rd to Mt Baldy Rd - Google Maps