just another fad

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

roundhouse

i have never bought anything organic. just seemed like a tag they put on regular food. and foods without the sticker 100% organic they may indeed be partially organic

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

Mayo Clinic; Organic food: Is it more nutritious?

The answer isn't yet clear. A recent study examined the past 50 years' worth of scientific articles about the nutrient content of organic and conventional foods. The researchers concluded that organically and conventionally produced foodstuffs are comparable in their nutrient content. Research in this area is ongoing.

Imagine that, comparing apples to apples, they are the same. Hmm! :)

DragonBlu

Organic veggies grown in the same polluted soil and watered with the same polluted water as regular veggies ,but they cost more. Blows my mind,but my wife buys them. I feel your pain.

int15

The real difference is in the avoidance of pesticides in organic produce farming. Not the nutrition.

-int15

yfz6r

Ya it's all a joke.

Free range means "access to the outdoors". So if a chicken is on a conveyer belt but a door is open it could qualify as free range.

BKP

Not only do I not think it's worth the money... but, I go out of my way to avoid organic foods...

If you do a search on the foods most responsible for e-coli, salmonella, etc... you'll find organics are highly figured in...
Since they don't use synthetic fertilizer (they stick to "natural" manures), which do you think, of the two, is more prone to harbor microbes...

http://www.science20.com/challenging_nature/organic_farming_practices_cause_200_instances_serious_food_poisoning-626

http://foodpoisoningbulletin.com/2012/organic-meats-may-have-increased-toxoplasmosis-risk/

http://www.empowher.com/food-poisoning/content/organic-food-isnt-always-safer-where-does-your-food-come

http://www.foodnavigator.com/Science-Nutrition/Food-poisoning-risks-linked-to-organic-farming

There.. now you don't have to do a search...

Last edited:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

BKP

I am cool with buying "regular" stuff, but my wife insists on buying organic whenever possible. She likes the idea of pesticide free, or hormone free things now since I had lymphoma. Actually I have begun to switch sides on this also.. As long as it is reasonable in price, I will go organic also..

Free range, I am for that just because if it is applied accurately, it means the animals are treated a little bit more humanely being allowed to move about and not being couped up in a tiny cage that they can barely move in.

But to each their own opinions on their food sources. To me this is more understandable than people who thing they need to go to a ritzy grocery store like Byerlys instead of a normal store like Super Walmart/Target/Cub etc.. They would rather pay more for the EXACT same item.
I completely agree with you on free range animals...

While it seems a bit contradictory to worry about the humane treatment of animals that will be slaughtered in the prime of their health, so you can eat them, there's still no excuse for the abuse some of these farms heap on their livestock in the name of quantity production, while the animals are alive...

RoadTrip

Much of the 'health debate' today surrounds our overall intake of modern foods and the long term impact. We have removed most of the clearly poisonous material from our diet (e.g. lead diningware), but controversy continues to reign over things like: what kind of metal cookware is least harmful, should man be eating grains and milk (paleo diet), and processed food concerns (nutrients and fiber stripped away).

I think common sense is the key, exercise and eat plenty of fruits and veggies and reduce processed food consumption, and don't worry too much about all the goofy trends and headlines; if a food gives you a stomach ache (e.g. grains or milk), then don't eat it, otherwise its fair game. The biggest problem, IMO, is people just eat too much, moreso than what they eat.

I might eat some fruit and coffee for breakfast, a Starbucks for lunch, and a good sized 5:00 meal, then fruit and chocolate later in the evening, not too worried about the extra sugar in my diet, I just try to mix in some good stuff too.

Last edited:

yfz6r

Much of the 'health debate' today surrounds our overall intake of modern foods and the long term impact. We have removed most of the clearly poisonous material from our diet (e.g. lead diningware), but controversy continues to reign over things like: what kind of metal cookware is least harmful, should man be eating grains and milk (paleo diet), and processed food concerns (nutrients and fiber stripped away).

I think common sense is the key, exercise and eat plenty of fruits and veggies and reduce processed food consumption, and don't worry too much about all the goofy trends and headlines; if a food gives you a stomach ache (e.g. grains or milk), then don't eat it, otherwise its fair game. The biggest problem, IMO, is people just eat too much, moreso than what they eat.

I might eat some fruit and coffee for breakfast, a Starbucks for lunch, and a good sized 5:00 meal, then fruit and chocolate later in the evening, not too worried about the extra sugar in my diet, I just try to mix in some good stuff too.

That's the right idea. Being healthy is a way of life. With cardiovascular deaths going up exponentially exercise is incredibly important. Some good twisties is a great exercise!

bleedinblue

Elite Member

RoadTrip

The documentary food inc completely changed how I feel about organic foods.If you haven't seen it, you should.Its easy to find online,
After you see the difference between tyson meat, and a local farmers.Youd be willing to pay 10x what they ask if you could afford it.

It is alot more expensive to rotate cattle in pastures to graze then it is to cram 200 cows in a building, and solely feed a herbavor corn.Wich makes ecoli and creates an all new problem.
Its the same with the vegetables.It should be cheaper to import 6 month old chemically stabilised cash crops then it is for farmers to use a different brand of seed then his neighbor, and fight a court battle when his neighbors genetically altered seeds end up in his field.That stuffs no joke, fields are marked with the seed providor for a reason.
I agree with you that in a perfect world we would all eat small farm grown food with no pesticides and wide open spaces for the animals, however I think the bigger picture is how we can affordably feed all the humans. Perhaps somewhere between mechanised filth and idealist pastoral lies the answer, I mean I seen a whole chicken for from a big company farm for 99cents a pound (~$5 chicken), and a free range-air cooled chicken for $5 a pound (that's a $20 chicken!). Yes, I would bet on the $20 chicken being more healthy, but not $15 more healthy, that is the problem with the natural food market, it is too f'ing expensive.

bleedinblue

Elite Member