Just a question regarding LAMS

brente1982

Ok, so i basically get the whole LAMS thing, and given im 30 and have a full car license, i assume after having my learners for a minimum of 3 months i can then get my full license on the bike without having a probationary period??

Is this correct? And if so, does that mean for the remainder of the 12 months the bike (will be an FZ6R) has to remain restricted???

Cheers

latony007

Ok, so i basically get the whole LAMS thing, and given im 30 and have a full car license, i assume after having my learners for a minimum of 3 months i can then get my full license on the bike without having a probationary period??

Is this correct? And if so, does that mean for the remainder of the 12 months the bike (will be an FZ6R) has to remain restricted???

Cheers
You need Bert-Aus. cause we have no idea what your talking about :)
Ours you don't even need a car license. you pass the written and get a permit which allows you to ride without a passenger and not on the freeway. You can practice for anywhere from 1 day up to a full year. After that you take the driving test to get your full license. The other option is you can take the written then you can take a state approved motorcycle safety course and then you don't need to take the state driving test at all.

VRIIClubby

Not sure about good ole' VIC buddy but in NSW...

over 25 and you get your L's, stay on them for a minimum of 1 day, then go for your P's, sit on your P's for 12 months and then your unrestricted...

im 33 and in the same cat as you, just dont do what I did the other week ;
sit on the Humy Hwy on your P's and get buisted sitting on 110kmh, I now have a nice 3 month holiday on the sidelines after purchasing a shed load of mods for my bike :( Now I have to do the whole L's and P's thing again and start over....

Bert-Aus

VRIIClubby -yowsers! unless you have a sixth sense for poh poh dont speed in obvious places bro
Dont worry I have been there too! I am on good behaviour for another 9 months (purely speeding inflicted).

Back to topic.

I believe the LAMS restriction remains until you finish your R-Date License (Restricted License) period.
If you wish to unleash your ride another Aussie posted here about a switch he set up to disengage the restriction when required and re-engage as needed -Search tool is your friend.

However in the interest of your safety and others,
I do reccomend that you practice your riding skills as much as possible (most importantly the dead slow between the lines drills),
if you want ot practice your fast stuff get to the track!

latony007

VRIIClubby -yowsers! unless you have a sixth sense for poh poh dont speed in obvious places bro
Dont worry I have been there too! I am on good behaviour for another 9 months (purely speeding inflicted).

Back to topic.

I believe the LAMS restriction remains until you finish your R-Date License (Restricted License) period.
If you wish to unleash your ride another Aussie posted here about a switch he set up to disengage the restriction when required and re-engage as needed -Search tool is your friend.

However in the interest of your safety and others,
I do reccomend that you practice your riding skills as much as possible (most importantly the dead slow between the lines drills),
if you want ot practice your fast stuff get to the track!

Wow this sounds like the most complicated and drawn out license process I have heard of. Kind of wish we had it here for just driving in cars. Weed out some bad drivers. Here if your not blind or deaf you can get a license.

brente1982

Cheers for the replies.

From what I've gathered the rules are different in each state. No idea what an R-date is as there is nomention of it anywhere in the Victorian handbook.

Maybe I need to fine someone from Victoria to help me out properly that's all. It's not a matter of me wanting to derestrict the bike at the earliest possible moment, just a matter of curiosity and confusion with regards to how it's worded in the motorcycle learners handbook here in Victoria.

FastFreddy

In NSW it used to be 3 months Learner's Permit, then full licence if over 30 and passing the Probationary Licence.

Now it is : (if over 30).
L's 3months min
P's 12 months
then
Full licence (or black licence as the print on it used to be before photo id)

VRIIClubby

In NSW it used to be 3 months Learner's Permit, then full licence if over 30 and passing the Probationary Licence.

Now it is : (if over 30).
L's 3months min
P's 12 months
then
Full licence (or black licence as the print on it used to be before photo id)
Over 25 in NSW, 1 day on your L's then to your RED P's for 12 months, no green P's, straight to unrestricted (Black, Gold whatever people call it these days).

VRIIClubby

further, I just read the VICROADS website,

If you already have your full car licence:
3 Months on your L's, complete your riding test and then to your "Full" licence, but you will be restricted in those first 12 months to LAMS bikes and retricted rules- No pillions etc.

brente1982

further, I just read the VICROADS website,

If you already have your full car licence:
3 Months on your L's, complete your riding test and then to your "Full" licence, but you will be restricted in those first 12 months to LAMS bikes and retricted rules- No pillions etc.
Ok, i figured that was how i read it but it could be taken a number of ways such is the poor wording of it, well from my point of view anyway haha

VRIIClubby

yeah good ole gumminit speak...(ex gumminit employee so I can partially understand the dribble ;)

go to netrider and have a search there if your after more, LOTS of stuff there for all Aussie states. good luck!

FastFreddy

Over 25 in NSW, 1 day on your L's then to your RED P's for 12 months, no green P's, straight to unrestricted (Black, Gold whatever people call it these days).
That's right, 1 day on Ls if you are good enough, I must have given myself a 3 month limit at the time. 1 year on red Ps. I was expecting more excitement going from the 90km/h limit on the Ps to 110km/h limit on the full licence.
I think L platers can go faster now on the freeway too recently, you don't want a speed differential, might want to check the latest road guide if you are doing the test.

VRIIClubby

I think L platers can go faster now on the freeway too recently, you don't want a speed differential, might want to check the latest road guide if you are doing the test.
This is EXACTLY why I lost my licence two weeks ago :( NEVER sit on the HWY's on your P's, the B-Doubles are bloody scary when they are up your arse!

brente1982

I have to say, that whole graduated speed rule you have in NSW to me is soooo wrong. There is nothing worse than being stuck behind someone who is going slower then the speed limit is, especially if its a second of the hwy which is single lane each way. Frustrating as hell.

Sneakynuts

Must have changed in NSW as its 3 months on your L's now before red P's then 12 months if you are over 25 and have a car licence