Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

0150r

If you are going to spend the cash for the 6xx series card, I would go for a 680. If you don't want to spend that much, the 580 is great.

CPU looks good.

As for ram, DDR 2000+ is what I recommend.

If you don't have a nice monitor already (sub 6ms grey-to-grey response time). Asus has a nice 23.9" IPS display for under $200 that is fantastic. I have two of themand paid less than I would have for a single Samsung.

behindXgrnXeyes

yay! Parts delivery means building which means PC gaming ! yay!

i dont know why I enjoy making new gamer friends so much...but i do...mw aha ha ha!

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

SpawnXX

Premium Member

yfz6r

660 card will be just fine. In a year or so when they are much cheaper just throw another one in and sli.

tzrox

Sweet! I built mine in early 2009 with the first i7. Overclocked to 3.6ghz and it still outperforms a lot of them today. I use it for animation, 3d, video work and gaming. It also has a GTX 260 which was overclocked since day one as well, and I have yet to play a game it can't handle, albeit no longer at overkill-max settings. I told myself I'd replace it as soon as I need to, but haven't needed to yet, so your 660 will be just fine :p.

The new i7s are pure monsters, so that thing should last you for a long time to come. If i dive back into freelance again, ill upgrade to the 6 core version of what you have :p.

yfz6r

I build mine in 2007. It's ancient. Best I could afford to get me through college. Radeon 4850 gpu, phenom 2 940 (quad core 3gHz), and 4gb ddr2800.

I had a beastly 950w psu that crapped out right after the 2 yr warranty expired... Now have a 450w :(

Once I graduate in may and work a few months I may treat myself to a computer overhaul

buckwild

If your going to run an OS SSD then I would go with an OCZ Vertex 4.

You get a larger and faster drive for less money and great stability.

I currently am running my desktop, laptop, netbook, server, workstation, and NAS OS drives on a mix of Intel 500 and OCZ's older 3 build, and the OCZ is a clearly faster drive, and they cost about half the $ per gig.

0150r

You run a NAS with SSD's? Why not get WD Caviar Red drives? They have elements from WD's RE4 enterprise quality NAS drives and are inexpensive. They are the only consumer drives I'd trust in a RAID system. I'm running my NAS (without RAID though) with WD Caviar Black drives and they are awesome too.

As for the CPU: if you are gaming, you'll run into GPU bottlenecks way before running out of CPU.

Deathdiesel

JT_Monster_PC

So im building a PC. I am sure there a tons of you guys on here that know a thing or two about PC hardware.

attached is my parts list check it out and let me know what you think!

everything should be here today or tomorrow ill try to either take vid or pics of build. should be sick! I am having so much fun and havent even started. haha
My complaints are the HDD, Mobo brand, power supply brand, and possibly series of SSD.

HDD id reccomend a WD Caviar Black, they are one of the most proven and reliably fast HDDs around, with a good warranty.

Mobo brand I wouldnt touch anything not made by ASUS or Intel. Just from what ive heard around, they usually make good quality stuff.

Power supply go with Corsair, same wattage should be fine.

Series wise of SSD(just missed a great sale on black friday) id highly reccomend the new 330 series, great speed, price, and reliability. For the same price of the 120gig 520, you can get a 180 330 which is actually faster completely and has more room.
Newegg.com - Intel 330 Series Maple Crest SSDSC2CT180A3K5 2.5" 180GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
20$ more, but more room and faster.
OCZ is good, its more for speed, intel has more reliability, but isnt quite as fast, hard to say if its noticable at all.

Everything else is fine imo. And id agree with tzrox, new i7s are ridiculous, far faster than most needs.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member
I have to agree with what people are saying about your mobo and SSD.

I've had 3 EVGA mobos die on me in the first year I built my PC. I switched to Asus and won't look back. As far as todays models are concerned I wouldn't get anything but Asus or Intel when using an Intel processor. Or, Asus when using AMD.

Your SSD will limit you on its capacity. I have a 300GB Velociraptor, and with just a couple CAD programs and 8 games installed; I have 110GB filled. I would either upgrade a couple months from now to one with more space, or buy another of the one you have and run a raid array. I would set it up as a spanned raid in Windows, then have backups on the storage drive. I would avoid a raid 0 (striped) array, because if you lose a drive you lose the whole array.

buckwild

You run a NAS with SSD's? Why not get WD Caviar Red drives? They have elements from WD's RE4 enterprise quality NAS drives and are inexpensive. They are the only consumer drives I'd trust in a RAID system. I'm running my NAS (without RAID though) with WD Caviar Black drives and they are awesome too.

As for the CPU: if you are gaming, you'll run into GPU bottlenecks way before running out of CPU.
As I said, I run the OS Drive on a SSD, I run the main raid on 12 WB Black 2TB Drives for the NAS Im talking about.

I always try to keep my data and OS drives isolated for disaster recovery.

Also for sure agree with your bottleneck statement, the headroom for gaming on any i7 wont even be close to capping out before your GPU.

Even in my crossfire, I cap my GPU long before my i7