Its getting cold!

NYGirl

Battery tender / battery freezing?

Ok, I'm a noooooob ... so I don't know if my friend is pulling my leg; or what?

He says if I leave the battery in the bike, even with the battery tender on it, and the temp goes below freezing for long enough, the battery will FREEZE and subsequently be RUINED and cost me $$ next spring.

Fact or crap?

Let me know, ok, because that rattled me enough to put an electric heater out in the barn.. not my favorite thing.

The Guy At The Dealer says no it won't freeze with the Battery Tender on it, but if the battery does not need a topping up, and no current is passing thru it from the tender.. um...?

Somebody?
Anybody?
:confused:

Bigevildoer

He says if I leave the battery in the bike, even with the battery tender on it, and the temp goes below freezing for long enough, the battery will FREEZE and subsequently be RUINED and cost me $$ next spring.

Fact or crap?

Let me know, ok, because that rattled me enough to put an electric heater out in the barn.. not my favorite thing.

The Guy At The Dealer says no it won't freeze with the Battery Tender on it, but if the battery does not need a topping up, and no current is passing thru it from the tender.. um...?
Hi...
I wouldn't think that the battery would freeze - after all, look at car batteries....

Putting a heater in the barn would be ridiculous.. the cost of heating a space like that alone would be 3x more per month than the price of a new battery.

Why not just pull the battery out? It will take all of 10 minutes, 15 if you're not mechanically inclined whatsoever.

I've got mine sitting on the living room floor behind a plant right now so it's not noticeable. I simply hook it up to a solar charge panel with a charge regulator on it for 24 hours once every 2 weeks (charger cost me $9 at a 70% off sale.)

Either way, you've got a Tender, your bike is stored out of the elements and you've got an apartment or house (a heated space at any rate) you can keep the battery in.. why not use it?

NYGirl

Awwwwwright, I guess it is a no brainer, I'm jes' lazy is all..!

FitZ6R

Fact or crap?
Not fact, so that leaves....