Is this your first bike?

phocoyote7

Yes, this is my first Street bike. Rode dirt bikes in my younger years. I found this bike very easy to learn on. Has a little bit of forgiveness, but be careful cause it can get up quick. If I were smaller I would have looked at a 250 ninja, but if your a bigger guy like myself 6' 3" 250 lbs., this is a great entry bike IMO.

Just ride with in your limits, if your scaring yourself or find yourself hanging on, your probably over riding it. :eek:

Fastprof

Definitely not my first bike, probably not my last either. I have been riding since the mid 70's. Standards (of the period), cruisers, Goldwings, and sportbikes (last 10 years). I am enjoying this bike as it does an awful lot of things very well. Comfortable, and sporty when it needs to be. No, it does not have the rush of my previous litre bikes, but I can spank the throttle hard and still keep it under 200 klm/hr. The handling is there, and suspension does not make me long for the set ups of my previous bikes.

I think Yamaha designed a great sport bike for the people living in the real world (ie. the road is not a race track crowd). If this is your first bike, you have definitely chosen a great ride. There are no surprises with the throttle: enough low down torque to learn on, and no sudden spikes in the power band. Nice, even pull all the way to red line. The brakes are like wise nice and predictable too. I suspect many years from now, you will all look back with fond memories of what this "beginner" bike could do. IMHO of course.

J

jhosler

Yes, the FZ6R is also my first bike. So for it's been really fun to ride on.

S

Spen

I had an R6 then I got my FZ6 (I know, not an R but thought I would join in) and its a great bike, tbh you could jump on an R1 and be ok as long as you don't try to rag the bollocks off it and have the common sense to ride in an appropriate manner.

C

Crazyboarder

I had an R6 then I got my FZ6 (I know, not an R but thought I would join in) and its a great bike, tbh you could jump on an R1 and be ok as long as you don't try to rag the bollocks off it and have the common sense to ride in an appropriate manner.

The FZ6R is my first bike, I was the only person in my class to get a perfect score on the riding test. http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/images/smilies/rockon.gif I think it is a great first bike, not too much not too little.

I totally agree with everyone here except this guy. I have been on my FZ for about 6 weeks now and the other day I rode my friends CBR1000rr and OMFG!! There is no friggin way a noob should ever "jump on" a 1k cc sport bike.

My smile was ear to ear and my entire body was humming from adrenaline after a quick spin around the block but that would of scared the P's and Q's right out of me that first week after the MSF class.

S

Spen

Well we clearly have different opinons as far as I see it if you stick to the speed limits and what you feel comfortable with then there should not be any more problems than is common with new riders.

Oh and "This guy" has a forum name, it's Spen.

B

Bates121

Have your friend read this entire article http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/new-riders-q/983-potential-riders-must-read.html this has good information for him to consider whether or not he should be on 600cc bike for his first bike, but in the end it is his decision just try to help him make the most informed and educated one he can. :thumbup:

On a personal note I took the MSF course and then rode my friends fz6 and my other friend following me on his bike giving me advice pointers and correcting my style. We kept it on back streets with lots of stop signs to practice braking and shifting and clutch play. Did this for a few weeks then we slowly moved to busier streets and slightly faster riding. The fz6 WAS DIFFICULT to learn and practice those basic skills. However in the end I did buy a FZ6 after weighing all the pros and cons. If i did it over again i would probably have gone for a Ninja 250 first kept it for 6 months to a year and really learn those skills on the smaller lighter bike, then buy the FZ.

O

OhHellYeah

the FZ6 is my first bike, purchased right after the safety course, and I fell right into it! The bike's break-in period probably helped to keep the adrenaline-junkie side of me in line, and limiting the rev's may be a great way to advise your friend to work into the bike. I'm now at 3000km+ so far this season and have begun throwing the passenger on the back. Solid bike right away, and I have total confidence that it will challenge and excite me for years to come---which I'm sure wouldn't happen if my first bike was a 250!!

phocoyote7

Have your friend read this entire article http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/new-riders-q/983-potential-riders-must-read.html this has good information for him to consider whether or not he should be on 600cc bike for his first bike, but in the end it is his decision just try to help him make the most informed and educated one he can. :thumbup:
Great article!

I would have to say the FZ6R does not quite fall in the sports bike category of the 600 GSX-R, CBR600RR, etc. It is more forgiving on the throttle and braking, IMO. I'm not saying that you can't get in to trouble on this bike, but is no where near race ready like stated in article.

I would have to admit after reading I'm glad I ended up with this bike for first bike. I originally wanted Suzuki 600 GSX-R because I liked the look of it, even considered the 750 for color combo :confused:. After reading this I would have to say, WHAT WAS I THINKING. :eek: If I read this article before I purchased who knows what I would have ended up with, but ninja 250R was not a good fit for me, 6' 3".

I did pick the FZ6R because I liked the look of it also, but I did some research on it as well. I do very well on it and I know I still have a lot to learn. I ride responsible, I wear full riding gear with exception of jeans. I know the chance I'm taking every time I get on and ride. I took MSF or MSC not sure which way is. I ride very defensive give myself room and and out at lights in case cager wants to rear end.

If I didn't have any motorcycle experience at all I would probably considered a smaller cc bike. I did ride dirt bikes when I was younger, which I also admit that street bikes are completly different. People learn in different ways, so good advise. Choose wisely and stay safe when you decide.

btastarsky

This bike is my first. I had a little bit of experience riding some dirt bikes years ago. About 2 years ago, one of my co-workers bought a used ninja 250 and let me take it for a ride in the parking lot. I actually yawned as I was riding becuase it was so slow and sloppy. Part of what bike you pick should have to do with your dimensions, body wise. At 5'10" 215 lbs., 600 cc or 650 cc is probably perfect for a first bike provided it isn't to high strung. Hence why i picked the fz6r as my first. It was a close race between this and the ER6-n from Kawasaki. For smaller riders or those who are less coordinated, go with a 250 or 500. Or even perhaps a cruiser. If you have any riding experience, go with 600 or 650 and just ride smart until the bike feels like it's an extension of your body. I have just under 700 miles on my 6R and it feels so comfortable and I'm only using half of the tach. I expect that once I have completed the break in, the bike will truly awaken and prove to be an even more worthwhile purchse.

Ride safe everyone.

mbridge51

I've never ridden a FZ6R so I have no idea how they behave.

My friend is looking to buy his first bike and he really likes the style of the R but looking at the fact sheets on it, it seems like it could be a little much for a beginner.

Did any of you find it to be too wild for someone fresh out of MSF?
I grew up riding motocross bikes 80cc-250cc and am glad I had the chance to do so before getting a streetbike. The FZ6R is my first street bike.

I'm a noob rider straight out of the MSF BRC. Find my thread about being nervous the first time on it. But when I got on it, it was so easy I felt like I was riding a 250. Just go easy on the throttle and respect the power and he will be fine. I recommend this 600cc sportbike to any noob as long as they are mature enough and responsible to respect the power that it has.

Howdy! So, this is my first bike and I like it! I think that a 250cc will be quickly outgrown and once that happens you are just going to regret it! That is just me though!

Comiha22

This is my first bike, and it's been great to learn on. I took my MSF course the weekend of the 12th-14th, and had a Ninja 250 in the course. It was fun, but being 6'2" 205 it felt like a PowerWheels. I picked up my 6R the following Tuesday, and have been riding every night since. The powerband is very forgiving, but it definitely has enough kick to it when you want to air it out.

Overall I couldn't think of a better street bike to learn on. For the power, features, and price, you can't beat it.

mbridge51

I've never ridden a FZ6R so I have no idea how they behave.

My friend is looking to buy his first bike and he really likes the style of the R but looking at the fact sheets on it, it seems like it could be a little much for a beginner.

Did any of you find it to be too wild for someone fresh out of MSF?
I did not address your question as I should have in my earlier post.

If your friend has self control & restraint, I don't think the FZ6R would be too much for him. It is well balanced, not too heavy, nice power delivery and shifts with ease. Although a Ninja 250, for example, is a fun bike and good for noobs, I'm glad I went with the FZ6R instead.

Even though I grew up riding motocross bikes I still took the MSF class before I purchased my FZ6R. I would highly recommend the MSF class for anyone looking to purchase a street bike whether they have ridden a motorcycle before or not. The class offers some good insight on dealing with traffic situations which is not learned riding on a motocross track or on trails. In my humble opinion, whether or not the FZ6R is the right bike for your friend will mostly depend on him.

I love the bike and think I'll be happy with its capabilities for many years to come. The Ninja 650r was originally what I had decided on, but when I sat on the FZ6R it was a done deal.