Is the FZ6R truly a [Sport-]touring bike?

So I have read that many of you use this bike for just about anything, including touring; but how is it in that category? It seems that the ergonomics are favorable for the long haul, but does anyone have some first hand experience? I was hoping to hear from those of you who have spent long days in the saddle for a good length of time.
I am a very new long distance tourer of sorts, and after my last trip, I am looking for a different bike. This bike appeals to me greatly, firstly because it is a Yamaha, and secondly, because it seems to be mildly tailored for such endeavors. How does it feel after 5 hours in the saddle, or how does it do on rougher road surfaces, is the "upright seating position" really comfortable for the distance rider, etc? Also, are there many compromises that you are unable to ignore? Any experiences shared would be greatly appreciated by a prospective buyer, such as myself.

Regards.

Rat

I think 200-250 miles trip per day is comfortable on this bike (with several stops).
In my experience more than that is difficult (at least for me).
On weekends I typically ride 4-5 hours (with stops of course) and feel just fine.
"upright seating position" is good - you can relax and cruize "upright" or you can choose more aggressive position on twisty road.
I accidentally entered rough road several times and I feel like it's ok for this bike even with hyperpro springs.

This is all round bike - good to cruise and good to ride on twisty road and perhaps the best to ride on the city street.

If you looking just for tourer - I would say FZ6R is not the best choice.

Last edited:

Heineken

Elite Member

owldaddy

It could be a very good sport/touring bike. It doesn't come that way from the dealer though. Stuna has done the mods that makes it a good sport/touring bike. If you really want a sport/tourer, check out his mods. I happen to have been trying to create sport/touring bikes for years (they didn't come that way from the factory, they simply didn't exist in the 70's), all my bikes have had the kind of mods done that would help it fill that need. I usually start with a good handling standard bike and add those things that add storage and comfort. Since I still have my BMW (it has the mods to make it a better sport/touring bike) I'll keep the 6R for more close to home riding. I may still do a better windshield in the future. The seat really sucks too, but I'm not sure you can find a good seat that allows you to move around on the saddle so as to hang off some. Sport/touring bikes are always a compromise, good handling and comfort in the same package is rare. This is an excellent bike to modify to make it what you want. Just buy those things that make it the bike you want. It is basically a good standard just begging to be modified.

ME_with_a_B

No, the FZ6R isn't a sport-tourer. Now that did stop me to put 1100 miles in under 24 hours or to have several 400-500 miles days on it. It's a fun little bike who does everything, but isn't a tourer or super-sport, it's a compromise witch I enjoy riding every chance I get.
Gosh... that's exactly what I was going to say!! ;)

Seriously though... no - its not a "sport-tourer" the way some of the larger bikes are, but it is definitely a bike you can ride for many hours not be desperate to get off of because you're body aches in every place imaginable.

I rode from Chicago to Rapid City SD and back in four days in May this year, and found the bike to be very comfortable for the trip. *Even with the stock seat.

scoobienorth

i put 2600 km on in 5 days of riding, putting on over 1000 km (600mile) in one day, a little sore but pretty good, i dont know what a sport tourer would feel like, but i like my bike cause i can do whatever i want whether it be long highway trips, or stunting, racing, corner carving, i know it is not the best bike for any of those but i have done a bit of all of those, plus just commuting, bombing around town. My only complaint is the seat, which is too hard for long distance running.

Detrich

although the upright position is more comfortable, i noticed on the freeway that the wind really hits my head pretty strong. i would imagine that super sports wouldn't have this issue as much due to the forward-leaning & more crouched-down riding position. and, traditional touring bikes probably have a bigger windshield to channel the wind away.

so, i think the FZ6-R falls into a very in-between space...

ksanbon

If it fits, I think the 6r is a really versatile bike that is capable of doing most things pretty well. It's fun to ride, comfortable, has decent power, and it's forgiving (especially compared to the super-sports).
The key is that the bike is cheap enough that you can adapt it to be more to your liking by changing / adding parts. If you want to tour, change the windscreen, add some luggage, and get a seat cushion. The downside is that the aftermarket is still lacking. The good news is there are a lot of inventive members in this forum continually coming up with new ideas.

I switched to the Puig Racing windscreen and bought a 35L backpack. I've ridden 350 miles w/ two 15 minute breaks and felt like I could have gone a lot farther. Later this year, I'll get some saddlebags to make the 830 mile trip to Park City. I'm planning on riding 1.5 days to get there.

To sum it up, IMHO, the fz6r is a great bike to start with and this forum is a great place to hang out.

Last edited:

Accident

i've never rode a ss

this is my first non-dirt bike
pretty sporty to me imo
maybe i'm still a bad rider but i treat it like a ss atleast
enjoy laying on the tank and shit haha

Thanks for the response from all of you. I knew, just from reading some of the other threads, that this bike was definitely an "in-betweener," yet that is sort of what I was looking for. I am going to be commuting on this bike much more than I will be traveling, so I did not want anything to dedicated to either side (Sport or touring). The sportier side sounds nice for the twisty 1 hour commute to school, while the bearable conditions seem decent for a shorter distance tourer. This is what I was hoping to hear. I was at the dealer earlier today sitting on one, and trying to be friendly to the salesman to get that test ride soon. Thanks again for input.

P.S. To let you know what I am used to; my current bike is a Yamaha TW200. On this bike I just returned from a 3 week trip up to British Columbia, last Friday. I logged about 4K miles on a 20 year old, stock dual sport seat, so even the thinner seat on the 6R I sat on today, seemed luxurious... Cheers.

RACreative

Lake Havasu to San Diego

My wife and I rode from Havasu to San Diego in one weekend... for the most part it was comfortable... other than having to limit riding to night time. Temps well over 110. I am 6'-2" so I find myself stretched and crouched to avoid wind on the interstate. Need to find out if there is an extension for the bars or a cruiser handle I can mount in the front fearing, below the mirror for my left arm. Has anyone heard of any mods for left arm stretched forward? Great bike! I love my FZ6R.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member