Is it safe to store my FZ6R in a hot garage that an AC unit emits exhaust into

waynehand

Hi everyone I am a newer rider and am moving into a house which has a large AC window unit that vents its exhaust into the garage. I was planning on storing my FZ6R in the garage, but I am now concerned about degradation of various parts due to the heat. I would expect the garage to be in the temperature range of 120-130 degrees F when the AC is on and running. Do you think this is safe to store in? My main concerns revolve around deterioration of tires, battery, rubber/vinyl/plastic, and evaporation of fluids such as coolant.

I am not sure how the bike would do in this situation as the heat is directed and blasted onto the bike, it is not just the ambient air temperature but the direct heat from the exhaust on the bike. While I know the bike operates at temps 200+, this is when it is running, not when it is simply being stored. Is this still a better scenario than storing outside with a cover?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

It is a vehicle and sitting baking in the sun on a hot afternoon is part of its life.
When outside the heat and direct sun w/UV damage likely exceed anything it may find under shelter even if it has hot air blowing on it. Air is not a bad thing either!

Fact is, that air may do it favor and reduce the humidity and condensation effects of temperature change. Dry moving air is better than damp stale air.

I wouldnt worry about it. Throw a cover on it to deflect the dust and call it good.

JM2C!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Domiano

Im actually a HVAC tech but thts not saying much lol. Idk why they would put the exhaust into ur garage... im scratching my head on tht one (not allowed to do tht in PA) . With tht being said i dont see any problem with it. The humidity should be low so it would just be sitting in dry heat. Definitely beats sitting it outside in my opinion

except it will be hot and humid air, the ac also removes humidity from the inside air. It won't "hurt" the bike, but it will make parts corrode quicker.

Why on earth would they vent an ac into the garage? I would reconfigure it, or add an exhaust fan to the garage to pull the heat and humidity out.
Yes and no. The evaporator core is cooling the house and picks up moisture. The moisture condenses to a solid and for the most part drips out the bottom which still adds moisture to the area.
The condensor which has the fan blowing air into the garage is extracting heat put into the system by the compressor. The heat and subsequent hot air being blown into the garage is pretty much the same moisture and humidity level as the ambient air... Perhaps dryer from being heated. I'd call it a wash....

Look what cars do. The principal is the same and cars make puddles of water as moisture sticks to the evaporator core turning into a solid and then dripping under the car.

I vote the moving air is far better than direct sun or whatever the outside world unleashes....

eNigma17

I highly doubt it will do damage. -- More than anything I think your bike will smell like AC exhaust or whatever is inside the building being blown from. Hopefully it's something delicious.