Is it possible to improve power on FZ6R / XJ6 easily?

Bruno

Hello guys, fisrt of all, cheers from Brazil.

I bought a XJ6N recently (The naked version of FZ6R) and i love the bike overall, but i’m just curious to know how could we get back some of the power lost from FZ6 engine. As far as I know, it is basically the same engine, with some mods to make it calmer, smother and healthier in low rev. I know that compression ratio didn’t change, and along with the piston displacement volume (It didn’t change either), it is one the most important factor for power output! What do you guys think? Has anyone improved the power without major mods such as exhaust, juice box and etc? A simple fuel injection system remap could do the job?

The Things I know that has changed:

-Different camshaft (I don’t know if it directly affect power output);
-Slightly smaller throttle body (Probably this one affects the output, but I don’t how much);
-Clutch and gearbox (These unlikely affect power).

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member
Last edited:
C

cam7777

Camshaft profile and Throttle body size on the XJ6 (FZ6R) give more torque but less outright HP compared to the FZ6 or indeed the R6.

What you get for your 78hp is a far more flexible and road friendly package which is ideal for the road.

locwan

I know it's not what you're asking, but basically it would be much more cost effective to just get another bike. The exhaust and fuel management solution alone can cost upwards of $1500 depending on which combo you get.

I love the response of the stock engine as is btw, it's really enough for the type of riding I do.

cheers,

Roaddawg

I stand corrected...I was reading some stuff about the bike earlier and everything said detuned R6...
Well, technically, your both right. The FZ6 motor was derived from the 03-05 R6 motor...at least that's what I've read.

Bruno

I know it's not what you're asking, but basically it would be much more cost effective to just get another bike. The exhaust and fuel management solution alone can cost upwards of $1500 depending on which combo you get.

I love the response of the stock engine as is btw, it's really enough for the type of riding I do.

cheers,
Yeah. That would be an option! Ohh, Thanks everyone here for answering the thread! I think my bike has a lot of power, and to be honest, it is by far the most powerfull bike i`ve ever had or ridden. My previous bikes were: BIZ 100 , CG125, XR250 and GT250 (Hyosung). The 3 first are very small bikes from Honda, but i dont think they are sold worldwide. The last one is a Hyosung, this one is sold worldwide, and although it is not up to the level of japanese bikes, i had a special feeling for her! Anyway, i asked cuz i thought there could be an easy way to do it, considering the engine changed very little, and the compresion ratio didn`t change at all. I like naked bikes, and the next bike i could afford and is more powerfull than mine, it is the honda Cb600F (Hornet), but this one is very desired by thiefs, and believe me, this is a worry you should have here!

C

cam7777

The FZ6R motor is derived from the FZ6. The FZ6 was derived from the R6.

The lower state of tune is perfect for road riding and given the R6 is a reliable engine in a high state of tune, the FZ6R should be ultra reliable and bullet proof.

Hellgate

I stand corrected...I was reading some stuff about the bike earlier and everything said detuned R6...
Essentially it is, as the FZ6 is based on the early R6 motor.

If I was in your shoes I'd buy an FZ6, or an R6 and put ConvertiBars on it. The bonus part is you get upgrades all the way around.

purehektik

No. There is no way to "detune" your xj6.

It is, because, they didnt "detune" it, they retuned it.

The R6 has more hp, but lower Nm... the xj6 has more Nm but lower hp...

blkbrd

Elite Member

Bruno

New camshafts, I would think would get more power. If you look at this dyno, see how torque really drops at 9k.

New 09 FZ6 and FZ6R. For me and the wife. - Page 3 - Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

Since horsepower isn't ever measured (only calculated), what you need is more torque and the ability to turn higher RPM's. We can assume the bottom end of this motor is the same as an 03 R6, it should be able to spin at, say, 14000 RPM. So if we can get this thing to make 42 ft/lbs at 12500 RPM using different cams, we will have 100 HP at 12500 RPM.
Thanks for your help! I didn`t know the camshaft had so much to do with the power output! It is the last thing i want to touch on my bike, cuz it must be very expensive and hard to do. I was wondering if swaping for wider throttle bodies and some how, make the bike rev higher (With a simple adjust on the fuel injection?) could do the job. But if i figure it will get too expensive, i will give up on this.