Is FZ6R's intake system flawed?

liv4spd

I saw quite a few air filters with palm-sized oily dirt stains from FZ6R (source: youtube, etc.). I checked mine yesterday, it was the same thing. It makes me wonder if the intake system design was flawed so that it allows oily dirt to get in?

derf1278

Since the FZ6R isn't a racing motorcycle, it relies on the suction of the engine for air instead of the ram air effect used in most supersports. With our airbox design, you'll always get that oval dirt patch on the filter. best bet is to go with a K&N filter that you can clean and reuse regularly.

Rumpig

The position of the intake would be the main reason, below the fairings behind the front tyre isn't the best place.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

geolemon

Where's the info for that airbox mod? Is it on this site? I'd like to do it.

I can see how and why it would sound good - I used to autocross imports back in the day. I had a '95 Civic with the VTEC motor, and had a true JDM performance exhaust on the car - Japan has tight noise regulations so this thing had a huge midpipe silencer as well as the muffler - totally different than the fart cans that kids buy off Ebay here for most of the unfortunate Civics you see.

I mention that because I installed an aftermarket intake with a round K&N filter on it also (before I supercharged it).
The sound was amazing, and chuckle-worthy that it was throttle-controlled... It's tough for a cop to give you a ticket standing next to your quiet car!
But open up the throttle, the thing just - roared is the wrong word, since it was that but just - musical. Especially in the VTEC zone, with the valve overlap. Awesome.

But let off the throttle, drive nicely, low revs - it was nearly stock quiet.

I can't believe how quiet my FZ6R is - it actually makes me nervous riding it.
Anyway - I'm imagining the same sort of effect for an airbox mod. Maybe less though because there's no long runner tube between the airbox and the engine? Let me know, anyone who has it. I'd hope for a little throttle-controllable roar.

Any info on this mod is appreciated. :cool:

Last edited:

geolemon

Interesting -
I can see from those photos how the intake works - four separate round intakes for the throttle bodies individually. So that would seem to eliminate my thought on using an intake like this (picture is a kit for a car).

What I like about those sort of intakes [on cars] is that the round aluminum tube has a tuned resonance like an organ pipe, and it absolutely roars at wide-open-throttle, but is quiet as stock when you let off. I was dreaming of the perfect balance of a quiet-when-you-want, loud-when-you-want bike.

There's probably not enough room, even if you took on the expensive challenge of fabricating a custom plenum and tube with a filter like that.

Too bad the stock intake opening is pointing down, since heat rises.
Maybe building on Marthy's picture there and the thought that "heat rises" - I wonder if it would be possible to add to what he did, to make a scoop to pull air from the front - like ram-air systems on some cars? Rather than the hot air of the engine right below it rising up and into the air box, the opening could be slightly out front?

That heat shield could then be used below the airbox opening, where it likely would be even more effective.

Anyone do anything like that?