Iron Butt: Ride and Prep!

A

aggiehiker

^^

Sounds like a good idea. I am throwing on a new set of rubber a week before I leave. I will be wearing a camel back to stay hydrated.

I am bringing a tool kit, chain lube, 2 oil filters and oil. A wire brush for the plugs. Also a new chain and and an extra sprocket. (The entire trip is over 10,000 miles)

I am going to get new tires put on in anchorage for the return trip home to Texas.

D

D-Mac

Sounds like fun! I'm not sure you need to cart around oil, or two oil filters for that matter. It's easy enough to find this stuff on the road (there are many filters that fit) and you really only need to change the oil once on a 10K trip if you do it right before you leave and run synthetic.

Be sure to check ALL fasteners carefully before you leave. This includes stuff like the headers, which tend to work themselves loose over time. You might also want to do a TB sync if you haven't lately. It'll cut down on the vibes.

Make a check of the radiator fan part of your daily routine. Lots of people seem to get rocks stuck in there and it can burn it out the motor if it gets stuck.

A

aggiehiker

^^Thanks for the advice!

I have decided to only carry the oil filters and pick up oil along the way. I have always ran run Motul in my bikes, should I go synthetic? I thought there were some issues with full synthetic and Yamaha's wet clutch.

You weren't kidding about the filters either. The same one fits the sv and my friends Kawasaki 650r. I need to cut some stuff out, I am just nervous about getting stranded in the middle of no where.:eek:

Your bike and Iron Butt ride is what really helped motivate me for this trip. It is nice to get some great info from an accomplished IBA rider. I am trying to set up my FZ as an intercontinental sports tourer as well :)

A little over 3 days till I leave.

F

FuriousGeorge

It's a really standard filter. My last car used the same one. There are Walmarts everywhere. Just stop in and get the $2.50 Supertech. :) Seems like too much trouble to pack them.

A

aggiehiker

Thanks! I think I will pack them this time (gotta try out the GIVI e52 case lol) but it is nice to know I can get them at many places along the way.

I am so stoked about this ride. I was trying out the throttlemiester bar ends/cruise lock last night and they work brilliantly.

I need to change the plugs sometime today. I am at 9,000 miles so I bought some iridium NGKs.

Thanks to an amazing member of this board I just picked up an OEM belly pan. Going to modify it slightly to fit with my crash frame.

This is the best forum I post on. Everyone here seems to be nice, none of that online flame war crap that is prevalent at other sites. I have picked up several great deals and loads of great info.

Thanks again everyone!

T

Tapped Out

I'm going from Wenatchee WA, to Vernal UT tomorrow, about 950 miles, we'll see what the Odo reads when Im done, I hope to do it in about 14 Hrs. =)

Bmon009

Gasp!

Wow bikers!

I didn't know this type of stuff existed. Hmmm, I think I'm going to try the SS or 1000 in 24 hours too. Guess it's time to start planning :D:D . Anyone have any suggestions as far as route wise as I'll be starting from South Carolina? I'm so excited!!

LET THE PLANNING BEGIN!!

Last edited:

cbzdel

I really wanted to do the 50cc challenge when I was on my 50cc but I live in an area that makes it pretty hard!

If I would find a local or two I would be all for doing an iorn butt, but it would need to happen asap because its starting to get cold at night!

Any locals up for the challage?? Message me :thumbup:

bigddy263

My first SS1000

I just did the SS1000 on the FZ6R! Battle Creek MI to Nashville TN and back in 19.5 hours! I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but so far I think I am the only one to do it on the 6R. Couldn't find any others on the list. I did see some FZ6's on there. I did it on the stock seat on Oct 1st 2011. It was in the low fourties when I left and when i got back. 3:30 in the morning to 11pm. I have my certification paperwork filled out, the check written and I will be sending it in today.

Heineken

Elite Member