Intreasting read: Family Feud: Yamaha FZ6R vs. YZF-R6

fz6r_zer0

Nice find! :thumbup:

A nice read while I sit here bored at work. I would contemplate getting an R6 if it weren't for the ergonomics everyone complains about.

redprodigy35

Nice read, thank you!
I liked reading about our bike in relation to R6's.

gdh8tsu

Yeah I like the FZ6R alot, but there are times I would like a little more "omph!!". It would be cool if they had a 650/700ish version of the same bike, the look is great and it just really needs a couple tweaks (Mainly the dam turn signal lights...) and its a pretty sharp looking bike.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

WhiteFZ

Yeah I like the FZ6R alot, but there are times I would like a little more "omph!!". It would be cool if they had a 650/700ish version of the same bike, the look is great and it just really needs a couple tweaks (Mainly the dam turn signal lights...) and its a pretty sharp looking bike.
FZ8, get the accessory lower fairing, and bam! Bigger, badass version of the FZ6R.

Bison39

On the subject of FZ6r vs. YZF-R6…

I just went and took a look an '07 R6 last night. Unfortunately, the guy didn’t have it insured so I only drove it up/down his back alley, but I was not comfortable at all in that riding position. Obviously a lot of that has to do with the fact that I’ve been riding my FZ6R for the last year but it felt super awkward. I absolutely love the look of the R6, but after a quick ride I’m not certain that I want to make the switch.

The guy figures I’d get used to it quickly and mentioned that if it didn’t sell this week, he’d insure it next week and let me take it for a longer ride. I have my doubts but haven’t completely written off the idea yet.

Captain_Kev

Comparing these two bikes is complete idiocy. The FZ6R competes with the Ninja 650/ER-6N and the Suzuki Gladius as comfortable, sporty, middleweight everyday riders (also possibly the Ducati Monster). It was never intended to compete with the R6... I can't help but feel like if the FZ6R were naked, this comparo would never have happened.

That said, when compared correctly with the bikes mentioned above, we kick some serious ass :cool:

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2009AugShootout.pdf

Detrich

i read this article when i was still a complete newbie- ie doing MSF- and before i bought the FZ6R... at the time i couldn't understand why anyone would want an R6 when the 6R is more than adequate for new riders...

fast forward 1.75 years plus one R6 later. i get it now. and, i have to agree that the article is very true- esp the reviewers comments at the end. and, that is, push come to shove, the R6 really is where the soul of sport bike riding is at between these 2 Yamaha brothers... Hands down.

the FZ6R is a fantastic bike to learn on and offers a lot of great features. it's extremely solid, very predictable, and easy to handle. and, i absolutely have no regrets about it. that being said, however, i feel that over time, the 6r does have some drawbacks that you don't even realize existed until u step-up to the R6...

the R6's ergo's are actually very easy to overcome... it just takes some decent seat time and some patience. but, once u get used to it, its lighter weight, extra power, and aggressive riding position make cambered turning in the canyons and freeway acceleration that much easier, liberating, and fun.

one of my more exp'd friends who rides a CBR600RR used to not think much about the R6 and even discouraged me from looking at it. but, recently after i let him test ride my bike the look on his face right after he got off it spoke more volumes than anything he could've said- which basically was, "wow." :)

Fzara2000

i read this article when i was still a complete newbie- ie doing MSF- and before i bought the FZ6R... at the time i couldn't understand why anyone would want an R6 when the 6R is more than adequate for new riders...

fast forward 1.75 years plus one R6 later. i get it now. and, i have to agree that the article is very true- esp the reviewers comments at the end. and, that is, push come to shove, the R6 really is where the soul of sport bike riding is at between these 2 Yamaha brothers... Hands down.

the FZ6R is a fantastic bike to learn on and offers a lot of great features. it's extremely solid, very predictable, and easy to handle. and, i absolutely have no regrets about it. that being said, however, i feel that over time, the 6r does have some drawbacks that you don't even realize existed until u step-up to the R6...

the R6's ergo's are actually very easy to overcome... it just takes some decent seat time and some patience. but, once u get used to it, its lighter weight, extra power, and aggressive riding position make cambered turning in the canyons and freeway acceleration that much easier, liberating, and fun.

one of my more exp'd friends who rides a CBR600RR used to not think much about the R6 and even discouraged me from looking at it. but, recently after i let him test ride my bike the look on his face right after he got off it spoke more volumes than anything he could've said- which basically was, "wow." :)
been reading alot of reviews and they've said the R6 lacks power until high end. Apparently the CBR600 has been getting tons of praise from everyone for its power in the mid-range.
What is your opinion on it?

Last edited:

Detrich

the R6 starts screaming around 8K rpm. below that, it's relatively tame... it's a bike that was designed to be ridden hard. think M-series bmw -vs- its non-M counterpart.

RoadTrip

I feel the term 'all-arounder' as applied to the FZ6R speaks to it's good handling at all speeds, whereas the R bikes are really in there element above 70mph. The R bikes can be a bit frustrating in slower riding and manuvering, all you want to do is twist the throttle and get up to speed so they start riding properly - fortunately, that is the primary kind of riding I do, and am interested in - I don't commute or ride around the city at all, it's basically all back road twisties for me, and an R bike works well in that capacity.

Finally, the clip-on handlebars really are the shit for hanging off the bike, your hands are in the correct place for doing this, not that street riding really requires this technique, or that many corners really facilitate this, but when your deep in twisty session and the corner is right, hanging off is really fun (I might only hang off in a few corners during a 2 hour session, but it is a badass sensation for those few corners).

Hellgate

Nice read, thanks.

The FZ8 or FZ1 is a great (several) steps up in power an performance from the FZ6R. Both are comfortable, tons more power for roughly the same weight as the 6R.

That said, an R6 with riser clips ons make a great alternative to the 6R. Really the "lack" of low end power of the R6 is a myth, it's all about where you shift. Do a -1 on the countershaft gear and problem (there really isn't one) solved. The top end of the R6 is simply stunning. They pull like no tomorrow and unless there is a long straight will eat liter bikes all day long.

I like the FZ1 and R6 so much for what they are I own both.

Last edited:

Fizzer6R

Pete you have a great combo for both street & track. I get way too frustrated trying to ride a top hungry 600 on public roads. Did you happen to own or maybe test ride a 1st gen FZ1 to compare to your current gen2 FZ1? I've owned a couple early FZ1's and miss them dearly. keep seeing used ones pop up for sale for great prices... not sure what I'll get next, either is prob. fine with me - I'm a sucker for a deal so whatever comes along. I have yet to see a FZ8 on the road or used for sale, just new in dealerships.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Pete you have a great combo for both street & track. I get way too frustrated trying to ride a top hungry 600 on public roads. Did you happen to own or maybe test ride a 1st gen FZ1 to compare to your current gen2 FZ1? I've owned a couple early FZ1's and miss them dearly. keep seeing used ones pop up for sale for great prices... not sure what I'll get next, either is prob. fine with me - I'm a sucker for a deal so whatever comes along. I have yet to see a FZ8 on the road or used for sale, just new in dealerships.
No I've not ridden a Gen 1 but I'd like to. There is nothing like a well tuned carb bike.

For my FZ1 I've modded it to the sport side of things with rearsets, ConvertiBars, PC3, custom tune, R1 forks and brakes, Penske, etc. It really fun.

That said nothing beats the R6 when its on cam, its amazing! Its not stock either. Its a former AMA racer with all the go fast toys.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk