Interesting hand signal

HotSauce

Was riding on the highway yesterday flashing the usual peace sign to other riders, when I encountered a rider who initiated a wave by tapping his head a few times as he looked at me. I had never seen that before and it sparked my curiosity; anyone ever seen that, does it mean something different? I thought it might be the motorcyclist signal for cops ahead, but that was my best guess and there weren't any down the road...

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Alex6

Was riding on the highway yesterday flashing the usual peace sign to other riders, when I encountered a rider who initiated a wave by tapping his head a few times as he looked at me. I had never seen that before and it sparked my curiosity; anyone ever seen that, does it mean something different? I thought it might be the motorcyclist signal for cops ahead, but that was my best guess and there weren't any down the road...
The warning for a cop down the road. Tap on the head = lights on the roof of the police cruiser.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

will415

Ya in california it only means slow down if your speeding theres a cop ahead or a chopper flying around checking out traffic.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Alex6

I never do this... I use the cop tap for warning as well, whether it be big pot hole, downed rider, cop, tree limbs, etc...

think about it, what would you do if you saw someone telling you to slow down?
If the fellow rider tells me to slow down - I will, always.

FastFreddy

I didn't know that one either.

I heard that, pointing at the head in the German culture means "are you stupid, do you have a bird in your head ?"

I would have guessed "think about it" if someone points at the head.

I found I've been doing all sorts of crazy hand signals, then realise that I'm doing signs that no-one could understand and I don't even know how I came up with some of the signals. :)

How do you say "it's clear ahead" in motorbike hand gesture ?

Last edited:
These are pretty funny...and most are accurate for group riding too!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHvLhoo0D88"]Hand Signals[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgXLBuAj90E"]Hand Signals Part II[/ame]