Intagraded LED Tail Light (XJ6 onto FZ6R)

cbzdel

Well its been done, the integrated XJ6 tail light had been fitted onto the FZ6R, the tail light is exactly the same, the wiring IS NOT! Its not a hard fix, you need to either cut up the stock wiring (which I hate doing or know how to solder) I didn't take any pics during the install, I wish I did but I will post a text write up in the morning..

Here is a teaser shot, it looks BAD ASS!! I took it for a ride around the block and had the lady follow me in the car, she told me it is brighter and more noticeable that the original tail light (just looked it parked, it looks dimmer but I am gonna take her word for it)

Ok I am going to bed I am TIRED!

Last edited:

Yone

Looks awesome! Where'd you get the taillight?

mfischler

Elite Member

arcflash316

I got mine on ebay thru 2wheelscustom for $70 and am waiting to do my install when he writes back with the wiring details

cbzdel

I to got mine off ebay from the same seller, its easiest to just search for "Yamaha XJ6" and then its in there somewhere hah!

As for the install, its the same as installing a FE kit..
-remove the rear seat
-remove the front seat (2 bolts at rear of seat)
-remove the passenger grab handle (4 bolts, and 4 spacer/washers)
-remove rear most fairings that cover the rear frame area (3 plastic rivets)
-remove tail light (3 screws, and its pressed into rubber fittings so wiggle it a little)

Thats it for the dis-assembly, then reverse for the assembly..

Now for the wiring, the problem is that there is a plug coming out of the back of tail light and 2 single wires. The two single wires are for the turn signals and are both the positive wires, the turn signal negative is ran though the brake light negative, which is typical and nice because it keeps wires down.

Now the problem..
The FZ6R taillight is a bulb almost like this.. (this one sown is only a single filament, the FZ6R has a dual filament which will be explained later)

And the XJ6 is something like this one:

So something has to happen, the easy way, just off the connector on the tail light and cut off the connector on the bike and just attach the wires together. There are (3) wires coming out of the tail light and (3) wires on the bike, just match them up until the light works correctly. All I remember is black on both of them is ground.

But personally I dont like cutting factory wires, what if a tail light comes out in a year that I like better but I cut off the harness and cant use it anymore.. So I wanted to come up with a method for attaching it and using the FZ6R factory plug... So I took the light bulb that was in the tail light and wrapped it up with some cloth and then stepped on it.. What I was left with was a light base with (2) filaments sticking out of it (5) total wires in the bulb..

So if you look it at it will look something like this ||||| (it can be reversed before you plug it in so its easiest to just pick a direction and go with it, I work left to right so it was easiest for me)

The two on the left will be grounds, but you only need 1 so you can cut one of the wires off, the the one on the very middle is a dead lead so just cut it off.. the the next one over is yellow, then the last is red. I just soldered the wires and it seemed to work but once I get some miles on it maybe the vibrations will make the wires come lose, who knows??

I can try to get some more pics, but I did the whole install in the garage at night and the lighting sucked so I didnt take any pics..

arcflash316

so I could have just cut off the plug from the LED tail light and the stock bulb receptical and married the 2 together? I guess I made it harder on myself than I originally thought. I appreciate you getting back to me with your conclusions and it has helped me figure this out. Also for the stock blinkers there are 2 wires(+ & grnd) did you just "cap off" the ground and attach the + wire to the LED? Thats my initial thought for wiring the signals up since thats what I had to do for my flush mounts in front... Thanks again bro

Brandon

KADO

Looks awesome, I want to do the same with mine.

cbzdel

so I could have just cut off the plug from the LED tail light and the stock bulb receptical and married the 2 together? I guess I made it harder on myself than I originally thought. I appreciate you getting back to me with your conclusions and it has helped me figure this out. Also for the stock blinkers there are 2 wires(+ & grnd) did you just "cap off" the ground and attach the + wire to the LED? Thats my initial thought for wiring the signals up since thats what I had to do for my flush mounts in front... Thanks again bro

Brandon
On my blinkers, I actually bought splice kits from cycle gear so I wouldnt have to cut any wires, but yeah you can cap it off, and just wrap some tape around it.

arcflash316

thats what I figured.. Thanks

nc_fz6r

Ok.. I'm braced for the hate about to come my way... but everytime I see the integrated turn signals on a bike, I shake my head. I mean, what we do is already inherently dangerous due to the text-messaging cagers out there. Even with my stock lights, I always have that tingle in the back of my head when I'm slowing down to make a turn, and I have to just have 'faith' that the cager behind me is seeing my turn signal and brake light. I imagine the odds change a bit when you put in those tiny turn signals.

Oh well... to each his own.

fz6rwolf

Looks really good. I'm not really looking to change mine out but thinking about brake light modulator and possibly brighter bulb as I like to be seen when braking also.

arcflash316

Ok.. I'm braced for the hate about to come my way... but everytime I see the integrated turn signals on a bike, I shake my head. I mean, what we do is already inherently dangerous due to the text-messaging cagers out there. Even with my stock lights, I always have that tingle in the back of my head when I'm slowing down to make a turn, and I have to just have 'faith' that the cager behind me is seeing my turn signal and brake light. I imagine the odds change a bit when you put in those tiny turn signals.

Oh well... to each his own.
I had the same thought process before, but you know if some cager doesn't see you its probably not because you had integrated signals, its because they weren't paying attention and you can't blame which kind of signals you have. even the tiny aftermarket arrows I think aren't very visible but its all preference....and I can say that these lights are brighter than stock and the actual size of the lights that flash for the turn signals are bigger than the stock ones....I think its like you said, to each his own, and by wanting to have a sleeker looking bike without the external signals is strictly preference, and doesn't put you in any more danger than if you left the bike stock....with that said................

My install was pretty easy, the wires for the blinkers are cake. Just had to splice the + wires together and "cap off" the negative wires and done.
For the tail light, I found that the 3 wires coming off the LED needed to be connected like this:

Black to black(ground)
Yellow on the LED matches up to the stock Blue wire
Red on the LED matches up to the stock Yellow wire

As far as how to connect them I used butt connectors and retained the stock bulb socket that has the rubber gasket to seal up the back side of the light fixture and protect the LED circuit board.
All you do is cut the stock harness leaving plenty of wire to work with....
Then take the stock bulb socket and remove the bulb(obviously) and the "guts" of the socket (ie old wire connections) to leave yourself with a bare plastic socket. Run your stock wires thru the round grommet that has the 3 holes for the wires to pass thru, and then thru the socket so the wires are now in the spot where the bulb used to be. ok now you can splice the LED as mentioned above to the stock wires and when your splice is done you can insert the socket into the back of the light fixture and your splicing is protected inside the light fixture and looks stock.

How you choose to splice whether its with quick disconnects, soldering, butt connectors, is up to you.... Hope this helps anyone wanting get the integrated kit....I love mine and will try to get pics soon:thumbup:

cbzdel

just to be clear, this light both brake, and running are brighter than stock because the LEDs are pointed directly at the person behind you, my fiance was behind me and said it for herself. She has driven behind me many times so I would trust her.. She also said that my blinkers sucked!! Now I am talking about the mini blinkers that came with my CW FE kit, she said they were so small they blended in with the brake light and license plate light, stange but ok.. She said this integrated one stands out alot better because its all in the same area, and at night on a black bike the tail light is the first thing you notice so if it starts flashing then you know something is up..

arcflash316- something that came to mind, maybe you did it and I missed it.. you might want to tape up the open hole where the wires go into the the tail light.. Just so you dont get dust and derbies in there.. It would suck to have a visible mess from the inside and not be able to clean it.

arcflash316

[/QUOTE]arcflash316- something that came to mind, maybe you did it and I missed it.. you might want to tape up the open hole where the wires go into the the tail light.. Just so you dont get dust and derbies in there.. It would suck to have a visible mess from the inside and not be able to clean it.[/QUOTE]

I did explain how I used the stock bulb socket to seal up that hole in the light fixture, so ya I got it sealed and it looks stock.... I knew that leaving it open or rigging something up to seal it would not work as good as reusing the stock socket and just route the wiring thru it....Thanks for your concern though, I wanted to do as professional a job as possible to eliminate any issues later on.:D

RockZooky

My GF and I will be both installing these lights in our bikes tomorrow (early X-mas presents) We will be sure to take a bunch of pics. I’ll do them one at a time so we can compare brightness, in the day time anyway for those who might be interested..

PuRpl3_Dr4nK

My GF and I will be both installing these lights in our bikes tomorrow (early X-mas presents) We will be sure to take a bunch of pics. I’ll do them one at a time so we can compare brightness, in the day time anyway for those who might be interested..
Can't wait to see the finished product.

RockZooky

What did you guys end up using for a license plate light and plate holder? I was going to see if I could cut up my finder but I would keep everything intact incase I need it for inspection.

arcflash316

HERES MINE
I used LED's from Cycle Gear that have double stick tape and wired them into the stock wiring and I fabricated a license plate mount and there it is
Notice the LEDs on either side of the brake light they are very inconspicuious

RockZooky

HERES MINE
I used LED's from Cycle Gear that have double stick tape and wired them into the stock wiring and I fabricated a license plate mount and there it is
Notice the LEDs on either side of the brake light they are very inconspicuious
Those plate lights look awsome. I think I going to pick up a piece of AL and see if I can make my own plate mount.