Insurance scare

So after calling for homeowners insurance I had my broker look to see what they could do for motorcycle insurance for the heck of it. I had progressive and was paying about 800yr with full coverage which I though I was happy with. She told me that my current policy didn't have personal medical. If I was injured my health insurance WOULD NOT cover my/ my passenger(wife's) medical bills. SCARY I have been riding like this for 3 years. I'm so upset when I heard this thinking what could have been.

Long story short. Double check your coverage and what it covers. My new coverage is way less with so much more protection!

...new policy is with Allstate btw

Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

applejax

Any reason you go with the min? What if, god forbid, something happens and you cause some damage to something, they could go after your assets, etc, what if you have a passenger or a motorist who is not insured and you are at fault, everything would come out of your pocket.

I pay 297 for full coverage through progressive, I think I'd rather pay that then pay what is the minimum in our state, I have too much to lose, unless I'm missing something.
Rider wanted 800 for the fz6r and progressive 350.

Always worth full coverage.

Any reason you go with the min? What if, god forbid, something happens and you cause some damage to something, they could go after your assets, etc, what if you have a passenger or a motorist who is not insured and you are at fault, everything would come out of your pocket.

I pay 297 for full coverage through progressive, I think I'd rather pay that then pay what is the minimum in our state, I have too much to lose, unless I'm missing something.

I don't have a problem with upping the liability incase someone sues me. However, the minimum still includes a pretty decent amount of protection. I have $250k liability for pedestrian coverage. I was most concerned about than that actual motorist coverage. Still, I get $30k in medical if I cause an accident to someone in a vehicle. Also, there are boundaries to how much someone can sue for if you select the right type of coverage. I forget if I have that one or not.

I'm mostly against comprehensive and collision for this type of bike (value, etc.). Every time I made a small claim ($1,500 or less), my rates ALWAYS went up to make the money back plus a little extra for profit. Comprehensive is not worth it to me when I can fork over the money right away and just pay for the damage to get it fixed. It's not like a car where one ding is going to cost you thousands in panels and paint.

Personally, if I could afford it I would up the property damage a little. $5k just isn't a lot. I mean some rims on a car cost more than that :D.

Here's my summary:

BODILY INJURY & PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY $44.00
BI $15,000 EACH PERSON - $30,000 EACH ACCIDENT
PD LIABILITY $5,000 EACH ACCIDENT
UNINSURED/UNDERINSURED MOTORIST BODILY INJURY $25.00
$15,000 EACH PERSON/$30,000 EACH ACCIDENT
UNINSURED/UNDERINSURED MOTORIST PROPERTY DAMAGE $3.00
$5,000 EACH ACCIDENT LESS $500 DEDUCTIBLE
ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE $10.00
Premium by Vehicle $82.00
Policy Level Coverage
Pedestrian Personal Injury Protection $9.00
Medical Expense
$250,000 Each Person/Each Accident
$250 Deductible/20% Co-P
Nj Prop-Liab Ins Guaranty Assoc Surcharge $1.00
Total Policy Premium $92.00

Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

latony007

Thanks, that makes sense.
i pretty much have the same coverage except i think a little more property. Its hard to do as much damage with a bike as a car so i think its odd the mins are the same but i figured odds are the other person is going to be at fault because i am so careful on my bike. As for comp and collision it was ridiculous, it went from like 120 a year to a 100 a month and i only owe 5k on the bike. I would pay off the bike in added insurance cost before i actually paid off the loan!!! It would be much much cheaper for me to simply keep making my 78$ a month payment if something were to happen to it. In fact i switched to progressive for both my bikes to save a couple bucks and because they did not care if i had full coverage on the bike that was financed.

applejax

I don't have a problem with upping the liability incase someone sues me. However, the minimum still includes a pretty decent amount of protection. I have $250k liability for pedestrian coverage. I was most concerned about than that actual motorist coverage. Still, I get $30k in medical if I cause an accident to someone in a vehicle. Also, there are boundaries to how much someone can sue for if you select the right type of coverage. I forget if I have that one or not.

I'm mostly against comprehensive and collision for this type of bike (value, etc.). Every time I made a small claim ($1,500 or less), my rates ALWAYS went up to make the money back plus a little extra for profit. Comprehensive is not worth it to me when I can fork over the money right away and just pay for the damage to get it fixed. It's not like a car where one ding is going to cost you thousands in panels and paint.

Personally, if I could afford it I would up the property damage a little. $5k just isn't a lot. I mean some rims on a car cost more than that :D.

Here's my summary:

BODILY INJURY & PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY$44.00
BI $15,000 EACH PERSON - $30,000 EACH ACCIDENT
PD LIABILITY $5,000 EACH ACCIDENT
UNINSURED/UNDERINSURED MOTORIST BODILY INJURY$25.00
$15,000 EACH PERSON/$30,000 EACH ACCIDENT
UNINSURED/UNDERINSURED MOTORIST PROPERTY DAMAGE$3.00
$5,000 EACH ACCIDENT LESS $500 DEDUCTIBLE
ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE$10.00
Premium by Vehicle$82.00
Policy Level Coverage
Pedestrian Personal Injury Protection$9.00
Medical Expense
$250,000 Each Person/Each Accident
$250 Deductible/20% Co-P
Nj Prop-Liab Ins Guaranty Assoc Surcharge$1.00
Total Policy Premium $92.00
I have full coverage in case someone steals the bike.

latony007

That would make sense. I don't know what part of NJ you are from. One can't ever be too careful :cool:.
now if i remember correctly comprehensive (which covers theft) was not nearly the additional that collision was and probably would have been worth it except my bike is always locked in the garage or im on it. I dont use it for trips to the store or commuting or anything.

applejax

now if i remember correctly comprehensive (which covers theft) was not nearly the additional that collision was and probably would have been worth it except my bike is always locked in the garage or im on it. I dont use it for trips to the store or commuting or anything.
Well, that doesn't sound like much fun to me.
I couldn't own a vehicle I didn't drive at least everyday everywhere.

I'm the same way. I barely drive my 6R. I think it's mostly due to lack of confidence and mediocre protective gear. Good thing the gear is getting an upgrade today!

I do try to drive my car all the time. I'll always find or make a reason/excuse to use it :).

Sent from Tapatalk

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

latony007

Well, that doesn't sound like much fun to me.
I couldn't own a vehicle I didn't drive at least everyday everywhere.
i wish i could

I'm the same way. I barely drive my 6R. I think it's mostly due to lack of confidence and mediocre protective gear. Good thing the gear is getting an upgrade today!

I do try to drive my car all the time. I'll always find or make a reason/excuse to use it :).
Sent from Tapatalk
Well its certainly not confidence or gear, just time and the fact i have to dress up for work and its really more trouble than its worth.

What DO you use it for? lol Don't you have two bikes too? Do they both sit around? :confused:

Agreed, when it's nice out, bike bike bike, when it's snow/rain car.
LOL, i try to get on them for at least a few hours every single weekend, and that includes the winter when your guys are all packed up trying to avoid the oil freezing :) We had a ridiculous winter this year (or lack of it) and i think there was only 2 weekends i did not get out. The cruiser i will use during the week for errands and to run to the store as well as any time my wife or kid want to go for a ride. The 6R is pretty much just for riding the canyons on the weekends. This week i took Monday off, think im going to do an all dayer if i can get my nephew or someone to go.

latony007

I meant to say for me, I don't ride often because of the confidence/gear :D.
i know ;) i was just saying thats not why i dont ride it all the time or commute on it. I also think that people can get complacent when riding the same route everyday for years. I know i do in my car i barely remember the trip home half the time. And if you need some gear dont worry about spending a million dollars. I got a great armored mesh jacket for about $70 and kevlar jeans with armor were not too bad either. I also have a nice leather armored for the winter that was only like 120.