Installation Help: Cortech Sport Saddlebags

bjpinub

I just received my Cortech Sport Saddlebags as well as my Joe Rocket Manta tank bag. I tried to search the forums about installation information, but the only thing I really found was how to install the Cortech Sport Tailbag, which I might be getting a little later on. As for the tank and saddle bags, I have a couple of questions about each.

As for the tank bag, I noticed the magnets are really strong. Has anyone else used anything between the bag and the tank to prevent the magnets in the bag from scratching the fuel tank? Or, is the rubber/microfiber material on the flaps sufficient enough to prevent scratching?

As for the saddlebags, how in the world do I install them? The instructions included with the saddlebags were so generic it made them pointless/useless. I also noticed there were 4 loop straps with a female end only. What are these used for? Given I am new to cycling and my FZ6R is my first bike, I am almost clueless about some of these things.

Any help would be appreciated. Once I have everything install, I guess it will be time to have a photo-op and post pictures on the forum. Thanks.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bjpinub

The saddlebags are really meant to work with the tail bag... do a quick search on cortech (here's one http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/saddlebags-14507/index3.html ), but basically the four straps are meant for front back support, tie the front two on the frame bar under the seat, tie the back two to the rear reflector mounts (if you still have stock fender).

There are also four straps on top that are meant to attach to the tail bag, these are the ones that really help support the weight (as far as sagging), though I think with the Velcro straps across the back seat, it will work.
Thanks for the reply, and yes, I still have the stock fender. When I first started looking at saddlebags, I did notice how the saddle and tail bags are best used as a set. When I got to browsing the forum, it seemed as though some people were using the saddlebags without the tail bag, which is why I decided to get the saddles first since they would offer the most room. At some point, I will complete the set by getting the matching tail bag, but right now, the saddles should accomplish what I am needing.

When I initially tried to put the bags on the bike, I ran the Velcro straps between the grip handle and passenger seat and on top of the passenger's seat, where I could. I originally put one loop straps around each of rear turn signals and clipped to the buckle on the bag on the opposite side of the bike (loop strap on right turn signal hooked to the rear buckle on the left side bag and vice versa for the left strap). This seemed to hold alright, but I wasn't sure how well it would hold, given the turn signals have so much play in them. The main problem I am having is how to secure the front of the bags (closest to the engine) to the bike to keep them secure and prevent them from flopping around in the wind.

Any additional explanations from users would be great. Also, any close up pictures of how users have secured theirs would benefit me even more.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

TOMIK

I have a Joe rocket tank bag as well and magnets are very strong, and I had it on for 3 weeks now, I have'nt seen any scrach or damage to the tank so far.