Install aftermarket exhaust in California

mtb4ever

I live in California and had my order for a TB exhaust for my 2013 FZ6R cancelled by the seller who said they can't ship the system to California. I then asked another seller if they would ship it to California and they too said no. It wasn't hard to figure out why - California dumbass bureaucrats think removing the catalytic converter will poison the air too much so have made it illegal. Yeah, like 10,000 FZ6Rs without cats will even come close to polluting as much as one diesel tractor trailer. As one friend said, "It's like thinking they can control a flea fart in a hurricane." Anyway, my question is has anyone living in Cali swapped out their stock exhaust for an aftermarket exhaust and had any issues with the law?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

lizardsbba

Cali is horrible when it comes to this sort of thing, I am surprised you managed to find two vendors who wouldn't even ship to the state though. Never had an issue with getting these kinds of parts here. May want to try revzilla, it looks like they will just have a disclaimer stating that it can't be installed on a vehicle that will be used on the street. And if still a no-go there eBay would be my next bet.

mtb4ever

Thanks for the advice. I have sources to buy the system, I'm just wondering if anyone in Cali has installed one on a 2013 or newer and had any issues with law enforcement.

lizardsbba

You're not going to have any issues unless you get pulled over for something dumb and give the cop a reason to give you a ticket for it.

Billsbet0

I Commute on my bike almost 100 a day. I work in downtown LA where there are tons of cops. Have been pulled over a couple times for dumb stuff like making a right on red when it was posted you can't or passing cars where it is posted no passing but no mention of the exhaust. I am always respectful to the officer. Being a non threatening middle aged greying hair guy probably helps too. One of those things, if they are grumpy on a day you get pulled over you are more likely to have a problem. When I first put my system on I was nervous out it but now I don't think about it. Heck, In the traffic I ride in, it is a matter of survival - being seen and heard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

mtb4ever

Yes put one on my 2013, no issues here in Los Angeles. Get it and ride!
That's all I needed to know! :thumbup:

Thanks for the all the feedback!

klawson

I was told by a guy that works on and sells new bikes here in So Cal,
that the only cops that are concerned with after market exhausts are
in Huntington Beach and Newport Beach.

I have to agree with BillsbetO in his observation..