I'm planning a Saddle Sore 1000 / to be more specific a Lake Michigan 1000

Heineken

Elite Member
Last edited:

travstoll

The season is now over.
Winter mods and next summer's trips planning are running at 110% :)

Next summer I'm planning a Lake Michigan 1000, that's 1000mi in 24 hours or less around Lake Michigan. Anybody who thinks that they can do it and want to join feel free to post on this thread.

My starting point will be Des Plains Oasis on I-90 near Chicago IL.
The stops mentioned in the bellow link are planned fuel/tracking/rest stops.

1. 141mi ~= 2:12 h - planned stop will be near Madison WI.
2. 170mi ~= 2:51 h - planned stop will be near Tomahawk WI.
3. 20mi ~= 0:32 h - planned turning point proof will be near Rhinelander WI.
4. 137mi ~= 3:36 h - planned stop will be near Escanaba MI.
5. 140mi ~= 3:32 h - planned stop will be near St. Ignace MI.
6. 114mi ~= 1:47 h - planned stop will be near Houghton Lake MI.
7. 137mi ~= 2:31 h - planned stop will be near Grand Rapids MI.
8. 140mi ~= 2:12 h - planned stop will be near Gary IN.
9. 52mi ~= 1:10 h - planned Finish point at the same Des Plaines Oasis on I-90 near Chicago IL

Total planned trip miles 1051, about 19 hours 59 mins.

I used Google maps to plan this trip: from:I-90 E to:US-51 S to:E Somo Ave to:Unknown road to:Ludington St to:US-2 E to:W Lake City Rd to:Chicago Dr/MI-121 W to:Grant St to:42.014994,-87.925987 - Google Maps

Here is the safer/less scenic/more boring/more interstate miles/faster route that I'm contemplating:
from:I-90 E to:Ludington St to:US-2 E to:41.836828,-83.671875 to:Grant St to:I-90 W - Google Maps
You wouldn't want to do this about March 18-19 would you?....If so i'd be down. I'll be in Chicago that weekend anyway. I might as well ride up there if you are doing the SS1000. If not, some other time may work. Definitely let me know when you are doing it, and I will try to join you if I can.

Heineken

Elite Member

travstoll

Well I can tell you that that won't happen in March. There's still snow up in North WI and MI :)). I'll keep you posted and of course update this thread.
I guess I am just lucky down here in KC. No snow here....I put 300 miles on the bike Sunday afternoon. :D Ya, definitely keep me posted...

bmw675

i wish i could but im down near st. louis. but if they go like i am wanting, i might be up there by summer. :)

Heineken

Elite Member

Heineken

Elite Member

ME_with_a_B

...and I did the entire thing on the stock seat. No wussy-seat-cushion for me!!! :steve: :rof:

Superzoom

How are your butts?

Congrats! Hope you had fun. I've done an unofficial SS1000, from New Brunswick to Ontario in about 17 hours.

The funny thing is, the thing I'm most interested in hearing is how were your butts during and after the ordeal. Did either of you have any seat mods?

bigddy263

any mods, advise?

I have my own ss1000 coming up soon on my fz6r. Anything you two would recommend doing/ bringing/ changing on the bike? suspension settings, seat position, throttle lock, etc... And by the way congratulaions on your completion. This will be my first, and from reading the rules on the IBA site, it sounds very challenging.

raybob

Keep your wheels moving. Too many guys start a SS1K and fart around at gas stations for 30 minutes every time they fill up and they wonder where the time went.

A SS1K can be done in 15 hours just by sticking to the interstate, running the speed limit, filling up quickly, and keeping the wheels moving. A BBG is just more of the same, just for 23 hours.

Hopefully, you've prepared yourself by doing 300, 500, and 700 mile days???

Bob

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

raybob

Here's the link:

SaddleSore 1000/Bun Burner 1500 Rules

You can do one anytime, anywhere. It is easiest/simplest if you find a fire station or police station that is bike friendly to act as your start/finish witness. The easiest saddlesore for you would appear to be WPB to Macon, Georgia and back. All slab.

Having done many of these, I have to say that the single thing that helped (once you got used to doing to miles) was a fuel cell. Being able to go 300+ miles without stopping for gas makes a lot of things simpler. Fewer receipts, fewer log entries, no time wasted at gas stations, etc.

RCI Racing 1031C - RCI Circle Track Fuel Cells - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Putting one of these on your rack, tee it into your fuel line with a valve, and you're all set! Had a 4 gallon cell in the 1997 and 1999 IBRs and a 3 gallon cell in the 2001 rally. Here's a photo of a bike (ha!) with a 3 gallon cell:

Bob

Superzoom

I have my own ss1000 coming up soon on my fz6r. Anything you two would recommend doing/ bringing/ changing on the bike? suspension settings, seat position, throttle lock, etc... And by the way congratulaions on your completion. This will be my first, and from reading the rules on the IBA site, it sounds very challenging.
Good windscreen, seat cushion (or better seat), throttle rocker or cruise control, and possibly bar risers. Those are all you need to make your ride comfortable.

The worst for me has been the stock seat. I only find it good for an hour, and then the pain begins.

See red

I found my seat seems to drop in the front. I am adding some rubber bars to keep it from sliding me forward. other than that, I would say get the lycra? (spelling) shorts that bicycle riders wear. That will keep the pulling from right under your ass cheeks. LOL sounds goofy, but that is where you usually feel it first. Tank bag with water bottles, and the best is some mint bars. they taste good and keep you from getting hungry.