I'm fly'n to...

Rookasaki

New York City this coming Sunday. I'll be there for a week. I really have no plans. What do you guys suggest I do, see etc...?

6R Blackout

Maybe take in a Broadway play? Just a suggestion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 6R Blacout

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

6R Blackout

Go see ground zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 6R Blacout

BKP

+1 on the Freedom Tower... ground zero...
I worked for a short while in the WTC in the late 80's... I've only been back once to see the big hole in the ground since, before they started building the new tower.

I'd walk up to the park (Central), up 5th Avenue, and check out the original FAO Schwarz (very cool toy store). Across the street from there is (or was) the Dakota where Lennon was shot.

Broadway, and Times Square, between 50th and 40th streets... 'specially at night.

If you're a museum freak, you can't miss the Metropolitan MOA, or Museum of Natural History (or Guggenheim, just to see the thing from the outside)...

42nd Street Library (just walk by it... it's a sight), 42nd and 5th.

Observation deck (the top) on the Empire State bldg, 34th street and 5th avenue.

St. Patrick's Cathedral on 5th and somewhere between 47th and 50th, I think (amazing place).

Walk east from there, towards Avenue of the Americas (6th avenue), and there's Rockefeller Center...

*Awesome* restaurants down in Soho (Little Italy on Mulberry St., China Town restaurants on Mott street, little further south is Peter Luger's steakhouse, in Brooklyn... haven't been there in 10 years... but, it's legendary.

And, grab a falafel from one of the street-side vendors...

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

RandiZ

My Home Town

First, eat your heart out! Pizza, hot dog from a street vendor, a variety of street carts, etc. To be sure of food quality use Yelp or Urbanspoon apps, available for iPhone or Android.

Freebies:
Ground Zero, but you have to get a ticket ahead of time on line for a specific time.
Metropolitan Museum of Art and American Museum of Natural history have suggested donations but are free. Give what you want, they have oodles of money.
For architecture, there's nothing like the NYC public library at 42nd street and 5th Avenue
If you're up for an entertaing subway ride, take the Q to Coney Island and get a Nathan's hot dog - not free. But Joan Jett and the Blackhearts will be free in concert on the pier.
Lincoln Center tours also free.
River to River concert series, checkout web site for venues and acts.
The Toys R Us off Times Square has its own ferris wheel.

Money but worth it:
Anything showing on Bway. New Yorkers go to TKTS booth the same day as show for half price tickets. Go early to avoid the line and have a list of three or four things you want to see because they don't have everything available each day.

PM me if there's other stuff you want to see.

Chucker

BKP's got a good list there.

Ground Zero is a awesome experience. You have to go to the Fire Station there.

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge.

Instead of a Broadway show, I'd suggest seeing "Stomp" in the East Village. It's a NY original and it's really cool.

RandiZ

Forgot a Freebie

Staten Island Ferry is free. I recommend going at night for a great view of the city and the Statue of Liberty lit up at night.

I also recommened the Q to Coney Island because of view of the harbor, Brooklyn Bridge, and SoL.

danieljardim

Statue of Liberty and Central park will be on my list. A Broadway show would be a cool experience. :)
Go to the intrepid museum to see the discovery space shuttle.

Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum | New York City

If you wanna do some outlet shopping take a bus to Jersey Gardens Outlet Mall.

Don't go to the empire start overlook unless is clear sky day. If not you won't see nothing and will waste your money.

Go visit the 9/11 memorial and see the new world trade center.

At central park, in one of the entries is the FAO Schwartz store. That's the place where they recorded the floor piano scene for the 1988 movie BIG.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KosJK_ZMMu0"]Big 1988 Movie Piano Scene - YouTube[/ame]

Go to time square.

Last edited:

danieljardim

Also they have a spiderman broadway show and everybody is saying that is incredible.

If you want the best mojito in town. Go get a coconut mojito at the China Grill.

You can also go to PORCAO restaurant and get some nice brazilian food.

FitZ6R

+1 on all of the above.

Lion King on Bway is said to be amazing.

The Spy exhibit at Discovery Times Square is very cool.

Ellis Island (included in the Statue of Liberty trip) is a lot more interesting than the statue istself.

Bronx Zoo.

See if you can find out about any movie / TV location shoots. Always fun to watch.

And the food, food, food. Promise us that you will NOT eat at Applebees, Olive Garden, or any other chain restaurant. White Castle is an exception.

MustGoFaster

NEW YORK CIIIITTTTTYYY?!?!?!?

pace-picante.jpg

:p