Illinois wheelie law

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Sage

You could face $1000 fine if you get caught doing a wheeling while exceeding the speed limit apparently too is what I've been hearing. =/
I don't stunt and don't really care, it's just another revenue maker for our republic of a state..

At least we can run a red after a 'reasonable' time now.

Last edited:

yfz6r

The wheelie thing is ok but some of the other laws are going way too far. Sme people love those giant ape-hangers. And if I read that correctly, you can get fined for standing on the foot pegs? BS. I know we don't own the streets but we are forced to drive on them. As long as we don't put others in danger we should be able to o as we please.

Also, Illinois has no helmet laws. Just a law for every other little things guess.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Deathdiesel

The wheelie thing is ok but some of the other laws are going way too far. Sme people love those giant ape-hangers. And if I read that correctly, you can get fined for standing on the foot pegs? BS. I know we don't own the streets but we are forced to drive on them. As long as we don't put others in danger we should be able to o as we please.

Also, Illinois has no helmet laws. Just a law for every other little things guess.
Surely they cannot mean you cant stand on the footpegs? Fact is its safer to do so when running over debris if you have to, I was taught it in the safety class.

And honestly I have no issue with any of these laws, huge ape hangers are stupid and not very efficient for driving. Wheelies are unsafe, especially on public roads, and standing anywhere besides the seat or pegs is rather dumb too. The no hands thing though is kind of dumb, seems a bit unnecessary to me.

bmw675

I don't have any problems with the no wheelies law. I never been into them and those that are, 9/10 are doing so in a reckless matter, giving the rest of us a bad reputation.

I don't stand on the pegs completely, but when going over bridge joints, tracks, or rough patches, I will elevate by butt off the seat so I don't get beat up.

And yes, we have red light law. I use that ALOT. Sometimes quicker than the 2 min you are supposed to wait, but that's only b/c I frequent certain intersections that I know to be a problem.

I wish they would throw the helmet law into effect too. Too many people behind the wheel that don't even deserve to be in the front passenger seat.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

BoneJj

I don't have any problems with the no wheelies law. I never been into them and those that are, 9/10 are doing so in a reckless matter, giving the rest of us a bad reputation.

I don't stand on the pegs completely, but when going over bridge joints, tracks, or rough patches, I will elevate by butt off the seat so I don't get beat up.

And yes, we have red light law. I use that ALOT. Sometimes quicker than the 2 min you are supposed to wait, but that's only b/c I frequent certain intersections that I know to be a problem.

I wish they would throw the helmet law into effect too. Too many people behind the wheel that don't even deserve to be in the front passenger seat.
buy a set of these Super-Strong Rare-Earth Square RE Magnets (30-Pack) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

and tape them to the inside of the lower part of your fairing below the engine close to the ground. You'll never have another issue with the sensor based lights. I did this to mine as there are a couple lights in the area that give even my ninja 1000 problems and now there is no problem at those same lights.

The sensor are detecting magnetic fields of the metal in vehicles and seeing as a lot of bikes have aluminum frames it makes things difficult. Since I rolled a set of these up in tape and then zip tied them into the fairing I haven't had one issue. You could also just stick a few of them to anything magnetic on your bike as long as it's nice and low, they are a PITA get off of metal as it is so it's not like they will fall off easily. IDK about sticking them to the exhaust as I don't know how the heat will affect them over time.

BTW, I order from DX.com all the time. It's a reliable site.

Here is a 50 pack for just a little more. http://dx.com/p/super-strong-rare-earth-square-re-magnets-50-pack-51743

FastFreddy

It seems to severe to me.

Reasoning : you have to be concentrating a lot in order to do a balance point wheelie on a freeway. (I'd imagine, I've never done this myself).

Texting while driving would surely be much more dangerous.

Taking both hands off the handlebars ? This is also a severe punishment. Mainly because sportsbikes are designed precisely for stability, they will still keep travelling in a perfectly straight line with the hands off the handlebars. (or continue to hold the cornering line whilst in a corner). The only drawback with taking the hands off is that the engine back torque will make the bike slow down. So there is no scientific basis of risk assessment for this fine whatsoever.
Of course if there's parked cars around, driveways or other vehicles nearby it then wouldn't be safe to take both hands off the handlebars, but there are downhill road sections with no driveways or parked cars in which it is perfectly safe due to the inherit stability of the motorcycle design. (fork angle pointing ahead of the tyre patch, unlike most bicycles).

FastFreddy

The offence would be covered under "reckless driving" in Sydney and probably other offences tacked on. It's not worth the risk of injury and damage in any case.

bmw675

It seems to severe to me.

Reasoning : you have to be concentrating a lot in order to do a balance point wheelie on a freeway. (I'd imagine, I've never done this myself).

Texting while driving would surely be much more dangerous.

Taking both hands off the handlebars ? This is also a severe punishment.
You said wheelies take a lot of concentration... So they have even less concentration on their surroundings. Sounds like another reason to be against it. To me texting would be on par given the distraction/concentration levels.

Agree about the handlebars. They even teach you at track days to put as little pressure on the bars at all times. Som instructors even take both hands off in mid corner with knee down just to prove you need to relax on the bars. I'll take their word on that one. :eek:

Invader Jim

Those laws suck. They are way too harsh. I don't stunt, and don't think people should stunt on public roads but jail time is extreme for a wheelie. It is completely absurd for taking you hands off the bars or standing on your pegs. I have taken my hands off the bars at speed to adjust a glove. I have stood fully upright on my pegs on multi-hour rides to stretch a bit and get a little airflow down there.

Ape hangers? I would never want any but they should not be illegal.

People must hate motorcycles/riders.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

06330i

Just another reason I refuse to move to Chicago even though I love it there. Don't accept my CPL and now even more ridiculous motorcycle laws. I'll stay in Michigan.

0150r

That jail time is more than just about anyone serves for DUI's. That is way too severe.

As for no hands? When I roll up to a stop light that doesn't have traffic (IE: no one for me too hit). I will coast with my hands on my thighs so I can stretch my back a little and prevent hand cramps. Is that really jail worthy?

BKP

I have an issue with ANY "it's for your own good" law, and Illinois is one of the biggest offenders. If you want to kill yourself it's no one else's business, if it has no impact on anyone else.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2