Idle Speed on xj6

mole3481

hi picked up my new xj yesterday , i've previously always ridden twins and a v4 , I noticed the idle speed is up around 1000 rpm and when in first it moves along with no throttle at about 7mph , excuse me for sounding stupid but is this normal ? every other bike i've owned has never been like this , i just wandered if this would be normal on the xj being a revvier 4 cylinder bike

alex

cbzdel

Pretty sure that the FZ6R and XJ6 would be the same, and mine is around 1300 but I need to verify that is even correct in my service manual when I get it back in a week or two..

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
hi picked up my new xj yesterday , i've previously always ridden twins and a v4 , I noticed the idle speed is up around 1000 rpm and when in first it moves along with no throttle at about 7mph , excuse me for sounding stupid but is this normal ? every other bike i've owned has never been like this , i just wandered if this would be normal on the xj being a revvier 4 cylinder bike

alex
Yep, that sounds about right. These engines are tweaked to run higher rpms and so at idle, you'll get a good bit of power to the wheels. I've never looked to see what speed mine travels at idle, but I would say it is somewhere around 5-7 mph.

BTW, :welcome:

cbzdel

after doing the +1 front sprocket, my bike will no longer move at idle, the tire will spin if on a stand but if I am on it, it would just stall out...

kma_jg

My idle speed is also around 1300rpm. It has not been for the first service yet, so I can't tell if they will turn it down.
According to the manual it should be 1250-1350rpm.

Last edited:

Stricken

I have mine set to 1600-1800 just because its easier to start when im going uphill

Sage

I'm not sure on the rpms and cant check since the bike is 2 hours away, but i know i go about 8 or 9mph no throttle