Idle a little funky, chokes when blipping throttle, got backfire

jacobdoyle16

Hello everyone i am new to the motorcycle riding world (Got my first bike 2 days ago) The first day i rode it around my block it seemed fine and then this morning i started the bike, let it warm up and then blipped the throttle and it sounded like it was choking. i decided to wait a bit and turn it on again but this time it made a backfire and idk if this is relevant but underneath the box where the exhaust is theres a little hole thats supposed to be there, and there was quite a liquid puddle on the floor from it.

Im very new to motorcycles and can use all the help i can get, thank you so much for your time for viewing/answering!
-Jake

2013 Fz6r (7200 miles odo)

mike

Hello everyone i am new to the motorcycle riding world (Got my first bike 2 days ago) The first day i rode it around my block it seemed fine and then this morning i started the bike, let it warm up and then blipped the throttle and it sounded like it was choking. i decided to wait a bit and turn it on again but this time it made a backfire and idk if this is relevant but underneath the box where the exhaust is theres a little hole thats supposed to be there, and there was quite a liquid puddle on the floor from it.

Im very new to motorcycles and can use all the help i can get, thank you so much for your time for viewing/answering!
-Jake

2013 Fz6r (7200 miles odo)[/QUOTE

Congrats on the bike! Sounds like you may have fouled spark plugs. There supposed to be cleaned and re gaped at 4000 miles and change at 8000. Does the puddle under the bike smell like gas? A back fire comes from unburned fuel in the exhaust.

jacobdoyle16

Hey thanks Mike! Yeah I asked the guy who owned it and he never did anything to the spark plugs and he owned it for 7200 miles. Hopefully can pick some up this weekend but she's still good to go, kept it revving at about 8k then let off and did that a couple times and it definitely cleared a lot! Thanks for the reply!
-Jake

Brent27

Hey Jake, wanted to say congrats on the new ride and welcome to the community! I'm new to the motorcycle world too - only been riding for 6 months. Great beginner bike, you'll really enjoy it once you get it running right. Also, working on it yourself isn't too hard in most cases.

Enjoy the ride!!

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

mike

At 7200 miles, plugs shouldn't be fouled that badly. I'm at 19000 miles and have only replaced them twice (every 8000 miles). You can check the gap every 4k and replace them every 8k as the maintenance suggests, but tearing the bike down that far just to check gaps gets to be a pain. I've yet to see mine get out of spec when I pull them at 8k. However, I don't do track days and mostly commute so my plugs seem to not wear too badly.

After doing them twice myself, I can tell you the list of nice things to get if you're into this bike for the long haul.

• Torque wrench capable of 9.4 ft/lbs (112.8 in/lbs | 12.7Nm)
  • Extension bar for the ratchet/torque wrench
  • Torque-wrench-compatible U-joint adapter (if ratchet/torque wrench won't clear frame with any extension bar size you can find)
  • Hose clamp pliers
It all depends on how the bike is ran, for instance if your start the bike often and don't let it get to temp you can foul the plugs a lot faster than normal. A dirty air filter can cause a rich condition which can also cause it. Prolonged idling can also contribute to fouled plugs. Also a puddle of gas coming out of the muffler and back firing would definitely suggest fouled plugs. If you pull the plugs and examine them it can tell you a lot about how than cylinder is running if you know what your looking at. Good luck..

It all depends on how the bike is ran, for instance if your start the bike often and don't let it get to temp you can foul the plugs a lot faster than normal. A dirty air filter can cause a rich condition which can also cause it. Prolonged idling can also contribute to fouled plugs. Also a puddle of gas coming out of the muffler and back firing would definitely suggest fouled plugs. If you pull the plugs and examine them it can tell you a lot about how than cylinder is running if you know what your looking at. Good luck..
^^ + 10
On the 600riders.com a guy just had one fail with low miles on it. It happens!
Plenty of folks swap to precious metal plug to avoid going back every 10,000 mi. I'm all for knowing what's going on inside so I don't mind looking!

These have about 1000 mi on them CR10E (cooler than stock 9). Fuel controller is maintaining 13.0:1 AFR and thats 92oct pump gas.