Icon Airmada helmet.

SurfJunkie

Hey Guys.

Before I started riding motorcycles full time, I was into some other motorsports. I purchased a Shoei RF-1000 back in the day, and used it to ride a racing go ped. ( back then money was not an issue, and the goped would do 60 without issue. ) When I switched over to motorcycles, the helmet came with as it was hardly used. Its been a few years since that, and between all the scratches, non remove-able liner, and the fact its an older design, I figured it was time for a new lid.

I searched endlessly for a decent lid in the mid to high 200's in both local brick and mortar stores as well as online.

The first helmet I looked at was a Suomy Apex. This helmet is the lightest thing ive ever put on, but it comes with a few downsides. The major bummer for me on this one was just noise. Even with the shield totally closed, I could hear people talk in a low voice as if it were normal. The fit was nice for me in Medium, but the cost+noise was a deal breaker. ( $285 )

Next up was an AGV K4 EVO. Plainly put, they removed a bit of liner to make it lighter than the K3. This created a REALLY nasty hot spot at the base of the back of my noggin. A definite no go. ( $179 )

Third was an AGV K3 Donkey Rossi replica. This helmet felt much better than the K4, but I just couldn't live with a Shrek donkey/ bright blue scheme on a copper bike. Loud graphics aint me. ($220)

Fourth was a Shoei RF-1100 ( completely out of the price range, but i had to try one coming from the RF-1000. ) Loved it as expected, but I'm just not willing to drop that much coin at the moment.

Fifth was a Bell Vortex that I ordered from RevZilla. The fit was nice for me in Large, but good lord was this helmet heavy. Being that purchasing helmets online was new to me, I opted to put the helmet on and sit on the couch for about 15 mins to insure I didn't have any hot-spots and was happy with the purchase. After about 10 mins my neck was killin me, so back it went.

Sixth was the Icon Airmada also ordered from RevZilla. This helmet in Large was magical for me. Weight was also pretty good. Maybe very slightly heavier than the RF-1000. I got a gold mirrored shield to go along with it, and got it to my door for $220 with shield. Ventilation on this thing is crazy. Has a brow port, mouth port, front head port, and 2 inner mouth ports. ( inside the helmet right at the chin bar has 2 additional ports to open for MORE flow. ) The liner is nice n comfy and the overall dimensions seem much smaller than all Icon helmets of past. Ive ridden to work in it 2 days now ( 80 miles total distance for 2 days. ) and im VERY pleased with it. Only bummer is it begins to whistle about 85+ mph. I ride will plugs in so it dont bother me to much. I dont think riding without plugs and this lid would be very enjoyable. Definitely on the louder side, but a 180 for solids, an AWESOME bang for the buck.

danieljardim

Hey Guys.

Before I started riding motorcycles full time, I was into some other motorsports. I purchased a Shoei RF-1000 back in the day, and used it to ride a racing go ped. ( back then money was not an issue, and the goped would do 60 without issue. ) When I switched over to motorcycles, the helmet came with as it was hardly used. Its been a few years since that, and between all the scratches, non remove-able liner, and the fact its an older design, I figured it was time for a new lid.

I searched endlessly for a decent lid in the mid to high 200's in both local brick and mortar stores as well as online.

The first helmet I looked at was a Suomy Apex. This helmet is the lightest thing ive ever put on, but it comes with a few downsides. The major bummer for me on this one was just noise. Even with the shield totally closed, I could hear people talk in a low voice as if it were normal. The fit was nice for me in Medium, but the cost+noise was a deal breaker. ( $285 )

Next up was an AGV K4 EVO. Plainly put, they removed a bit of liner to make it lighter than the K3. This created a REALLY nasty hot spot at the base of the back of my noggin. A definite no go. ( $179 )

Third was an AGV K3 Donkey Rossi replica. This helmet felt much better than the K4, but I just couldn't live with a Shrek donkey/ bright blue scheme on a copper bike. Loud graphics aint me. ($220)

Fourth was a Shoei RF-1100 ( completely out of the price range, but i had to try one coming from the RF-1000. ) Loved it as expected, but I'm just not willing to drop that much coin at the moment.

Fifth was a Bell Vortex that I ordered from RevZilla. The fit was nice for me in Large, but good lord was this helmet heavy. Being that purchasing helmets online was new to me, I opted to put the helmet on and sit on the couch for about 15 mins to insure I didn't have any hot-spots and was happy with the purchase. After about 10 mins my neck was killin me, so back it went.

Sixth was the Icon Airmada also ordered from RevZilla. This helmet in Large was magical for me. Weight was also pretty good. Maybe very slightly heavier than the RF-1000. I got a gold mirrored shield to go along with it, and got it to my door for $220 with shield. Ventilation on this thing is crazy. Has a brow port, mouth port, front head port, and 2 inner mouth ports. ( inside the helmet right at the chin bar has 2 additional ports to open for MORE flow. ) The liner is nice n comfy and the overall dimensions seem much smaller than all Icon helmets of past. Ive ridden to work in it 2 days now ( 80 miles total distance for 2 days. ) and im VERY pleased with it. Only bummer is it begins to whistle about 85+ mph. I ride will plugs in so it dont bother me to much. I dont think riding without plugs and this lid would be very enjoyable. Definitely on the louder side, but a 180 for solids, an AWESOME bang for the buck.
I have a TORC (fairly new brand in the USA) helmet with bluetooth that I dropped 199 on it. I love it.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Maadi

I went from the RF-1000 to a Shoei Quest- same fit for $300. Bought the white one for the price point and put flame decals on it for some color. Venting is good, whistles when I do a head check on the highway. Otherwise a great, light helmet.

FZ6R66

I've got to tell you. You can find the RF-1100 all day long for $300. I have one. I tried them all and the Shoei helmet shines with the small details. You can say all you want about the other cheaper helmets. You knew in your mind that the Shoei was tops on your list but you thought you couldn't afford it. I kicked myself when I bought my Icon Airframe. Now I had to buy two helmets. It sucks compared to the Shoei. Just my 2 cents.

SurfJunkie

I guess everyone didn't read my post.

I purchased the Icon Airmada and Im very happy with it, and it cost $180 bucks in solid colors and is DOT/ECE approved. Oh, and mirrored shields cost $45 instead of $90 like Shoei.

I understand you guys like Shoei, and they make a great helmet, but this thread was intended to tell people about the Icon Airmada and my adventure in finding a helmet that wont break the bank, not a "buy a Shoei" thread.

Also, this helmet is really a step up from the Icon's of past. Smaller shell, nice shield locking pin when the shield is latched all the way closed, much lighter than previous models. As stated, couldn't be happier. I agree the older Icon's were kinda.... blah.

Happy riding, and keep the RUBBER SIDE DOWN.

danieljardim

I guess everyone didn't read my post.

I purchased the Icon Airmada and Im very happy with it, and it cost $180 bucks in solid colors and is DOT/ECE approved. Oh, and mirrored shields cost $45 instead of $90 like Shoei.

I understand you guys like Shoei, and they make a great helmet, but this thread was intended to tell people about the Icon Airmada and my adventure in finding a helmet that wont break the bank, not a "buy a Shoei" thread.

Also, this helmet is really a step up from the Icon's of past. Smaller shell, nice shield locking pin when the shield is latched all the way closed, much lighter than previous models. As stated, couldn't be happier. I agree the older Icon's were kinda.... blah.

Happy riding, and keep the RUBBER SIDE DOWN.
I'm with you. Mine first helmet was $89.00, my TORC was $199.00

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

SurfJunkie

You've obviously had a lot of experience with different helmets... but I'm on number 2. I currently daily a Scorpion Exo-500, which I think is a pretty great helmet (and the internet agrees). However, the net thinks it vents "better than average", and I couldn't disagree more. You seem pretty pleased with the venting on your new helmet. Any experience with Scorpion helmets to tell me if I'll enjoy the Icon? These are both about $200 helmets, so it wouldn't be a step up, it would be a lateral movement.
The only Scorpion experience I have was trying them on at a local store. No outdoor/riding experience, and I never spent more than 1-2 mins in them.
I dont have a TON of helmet experience, ive just spent alot of time in my RF-1000 over the last several years, as well as time in other car/kart road racing style helmets and tried on DOZENS of new models.

Ive been in the Airmada for a total of about a week now ( bout 200 miles of seat time. ) and the weather has been pretty wacky. Kinda cold a few mornings, then HOT the last few mornings/days/afternoons. I feel the airflow is outstanding in HOT weather. The two extra chin bar vents really help there. Flows much better than the RF-1000 AND you can actually breath out your nose HARD without causing shield fog. ( I've yet to try this in sub 60 degrees, as it just hasn't got that cold here yet and may not for awhile. Gotta love the long SoCal riding season.)

I can tell it might be a bit cold without a chin curtain as the seasons change, but still does a nice job with all the vents closed. I was going to try and see if my old curtain will fit this helmet as it doesn't come with one and I don't see anywhere to purchase. I also have a FreezeOut Baklava to keep the wind off my neck/lower face for December/January time.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

Elite Member

06330i

I just bought a Shoei Qwest recently, got the helmet for $250 new from my local dealership regular price on it was $350, absolutly love the helmet and have no complaints. Nice and quiet, airflow is good, and the weight is much better than my old AFX helmets.