I went to Ducati dealership today

RoadTrip

Well, it was a rainy day and I was bored, never been to Ducati before, so I hit their shop and also the Triumph/BMW one.

First off the Triumph shop, it was single structure, full size building, the staff was generally pleasant and the shop looked well established and well stocked with gear and bikes. They had virtually every model from both MFG's jammed in there and they all seemed nice and sensible, the one flashy bike was the new 675R in white, covered in carbon fiber bits, with red frame, white tank, fancy rims, ohlins and brembos, it was very nice. The S1000RR's were okay as well, but the 675R really caught my eye. Good service area with 4 uniformed techs all working on bikes and professional looking set up.

Okay, now Ducati, I could barely find them at first, it was basically a single slot retail space in a strip mall with an unfinished looking floor. They had maybe a dozen new bikes, couple of used ones, and some retired show pieces for filler, but it was a sea of flashy red paint and forged wheels. I started by shopping the gear since they had Dainese stuff (surprised), and just struck up a casual conversation with a guy there, turns out he was the sales manager and we were just chatting like a couple of bike enthusiasts and no hard sell going on at all. Eventually, I was sitting on several of the bikes and he brings out their lead Tech since I had questions about their support.

So, I end up getting an exclusive with both these guys for like 30 minutes starting up and revving various bikes (Diavel, Multistrada, 1199). They were never in the hard sell mode, nor were they like 'you are wasting my time', not sure if this was a sales approach by design, but it was really laid back and the kind of dealership I like. That alone would make me want to buy from them, the bikes are beautiful, good paint, good sound, but expensive. It's funny, cause I realized later that Ducati is still kinda boutique after all these years, with limited inventory and scraping by small dealerships (in my area, at least).

It seems their product line is only just now becoming modernized, prior to 2010 a number of models were still air cooled and using some decades old technologies. Some may lament this 'progression', but even Harley has modernized their engines while still retaining most of the original character; people just don't want machines that break all the time, so I am enthused about the modernization of their line. The 1199, for example, really is their centerpiece of technology and likely represents the kind of engines you will see in the future, more refined and smooth off the bottom, with longer maintenance intervals and less intense maintenance procedures. It's funny cause they also had one of the new MV Agusta F3's, kinda seems that company is like the old Ducati of 15yrs ago, even smaller with a more raw engine with handling and fueling quirks, they used to call this 'character' on the Ducatis.

Last edited:

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

Well, it was a rainy day and I was bored, never been to Ducati before, so I hit their shop and also the Triumph/BMW one.

First off the Triumph shop, it was single structure, full size building, the staff was generally pleasant and the shop looked well established and well stocked with gear and bikes. They had virtually every model from both MFG's jammed in there and they all seemed nice and sensible, the one flashy bike was the new 675R in white, covered in carbon fiber bits, with red frame, white tank, fancy rims, ohlins and brembos, it was very nice. The S1000RR's were okay as well, but the 675R really caught my eye. Good service area with 4 uniformed techs all working on bikes and professional looking set up.

Okay, now Ducati, I could barely find them at first, it was basically a single slot retail space in a strip mall with an unfinished looking floor. They had maybe a dozen new bikes, couple of used ones, and some retired show pieces for filler, but it was a sea of flashy red paint and forged wheels. I started by shopping the gear since they had Dainese stuff (surprised), and just struck up a casual conversation with a guy there, turns out he was the sales manager and we were just chatting like a couple of bike enthusiasts and no hard sell going on at all. Eventually, I was sitting on several of the bikes and he brings out their lead Tech since I had questions about their support.

So, I end up getting an exclusive with both these guys for like 30 minutes starting up and revving various bikes (Diavel, Multistrada, 1199). They were never in the hard sell mode, nor were they like 'you are wasting my time', not sure if this was a sales approach by design, but it was really laid back and the kind of dealership I like. That alone would make me want to buy from them, the bikes are beautiful, good paint, good sound, but expensive. It's funny, cause I realized later that Ducati is still kinda boutique after all these years, with limited inventory and scraping by small dealerships (in my area, at least).

It seems their product line is only just now becoming modernized, prior to 2010 a number of models were still air cooled and using some decades old technologies. Some may lament this 'progression', but even Harley has modernized their engines while still retaining most of the original character; people just don't want machines that break all the time, so I am enthused about the modernization of their line. The 1199, for example, really is their centerpiece of technology and likely represents the kind of engines you will see in the future, more refined and smooth off the bottom, with longer maintenance intervals and less intense maintenance procedures. It's funny cause they also had one of the new MV Agusta F3's, kinda seems that company is like the old Ducati of 15yrs ago, even smaller with a more raw engine with handling and fueling quirks, they used to call this 'character' on the Ducatis.
The new f3's are sexy ass bikes though.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

RoadTrip

One thing I do like about Ducati, is it seems they respond to owners complaints and update their product line in a timely fashion. I didn't even realize, but the 2013 Multistrada got many new updates specifically to adress complaints: lugging below 4k=new dual plug and numerous other engine updates, suspension=new sky hook active dampening, windscreen=bigger, map modes=all updated. That's pretty good considering the new 1200 only just came out in 2010.

But, you could also say, in spite of their responsive engineering department, that the end result tends to be a bit of over-engineering. You could certainly get a Suzuki V-strom and do just about everything the Multistrada could do, at a lower price and much less complicated machine. No matter how exciting or beautiful, if your machine fails in the middle of a big trip you planned for months, it goes from 'work of art' to 'POS' in a manner of minutes. Buying a Ducati for the average guy (e.g. me) would require a lot of faith, my gixxer has had zero (knock on wood) problems in 15,000 miles, there is a lot to be said for Japanese engineering.

Last edited:

Botty12

That sounds like an awesome experience you had at the Ducati dealership. I went to my local one, very similar sounding to yours (boutique style), but very different vibe...it actually turned me completely off. They were arrogant towards me, as if I couldn't afford/handle or wasn't serious about buying a Ducati. The impression I got was, "members only club". Reminded me of my private school years, and I'd rather not waste my time with attitude like that. :shakehead: And I could rationalize and say maybe it was my age, or what I was wearing, or that I'm female, but that's stupid...they should treat me seriously until I prove to them otherwise.

BUT, that's exciting to hear about Audi...haven't really been staying caught up with this kinda news. Seems like an ideal fit to me...looking forward to see what they can do!

Fizzer6R

sure, they may update models on needed upgrades, but many times throughout the years they leave current owners of older models stranded. its not just duc, it's all the Italian manufacturers. ex:

"Just bumming. The rear brake on my new as of 10/25/12 2012 Ducati Multistrada MTS is gone so I stopped by the dealership to let them know I need the upgrade/fix. It's been a week, and the dealership is still yet to hear from Ducati on just whether my upgrade/fix will be approved - never mind getting the parts from Italy, installation, does this really fix it, etc, etc.

I love the bike, but that voice of "You should have gone with your gut reservations on this." is getting louder. Maybe this is a test from Above of my too often impatient nature. Super.

Beyond kicking myself a bit, I would also like to kick all those professional reviewers who rave about the Multistrada. Had they ridden one with a couple of hundred miles on it, they'd be singing a different tune. How the heck does something like this get missed?! Beyond the obvious safety concerns, you can forget about putting it in Enduro mode.

First of 12 bikes to have something as serious as this go bad. Well, hopefully it will work out in the end.

RoadTrip

sure, they may update models on needed upgrades, but many times throughout the years they leave current owners of older models stranded. its not just duc, it's all the Italian manufacturers. ex:

"Just bumming. The rear brake on my new as of 10/25/12 2012 Ducati Multistrada MTS is gone so I stopped by the dealership to let them know I need the upgrade/fix. It's been a week, and the dealership is still yet to hear from Ducati on just whether my upgrade/fix will be approved - never mind getting the parts from Italy, installation, does this really fix it, etc, etc.

I love the bike, but that voice of "You should have gone with your gut reservations on this." is getting louder. Maybe this is a test from Above of my too often impatient nature. Super.

Beyond kicking myself a bit, I would also like to kick all those professional reviewers who rave about the Multistrada. Had they ridden one with a couple of hundred miles on it, they'd be singing a different tune. How the heck does something like this get missed?! Beyond the obvious safety concerns, you can forget about putting it in Enduro mode.

First of 12 bikes to have something as serious as this go bad. Well, hopefully it will work out in the end.
Thanks for the feedback, yeah I will prolly just get another Japanese once I go back to an upright bike, I really do like a simple approach to machines, I commend their push toward technology, but sounds like they don't understand the expectations of the general consumer - we want machines that don't break, and when they do we expected them to be fixed free of charge in a timely manner (what's the point of a warranty if they don't fulfill it).

RoadTrip

That sounds like an awesome experience you had at the Ducati dealership. I went to my local one, very similar sounding to yours (boutique style), but very different vibe...it actually turned me completely off. They were arrogant towards me, as if I couldn't afford/handle or wasn't serious about buying a Ducati. The impression I got was, "members only club". Reminded me of my private school years, and I'd rather not waste my time with attitude like that. :shakehead: And I could rationalize and say maybe it was my age, or what I was wearing, or that I'm female, but that's stupid...they should treat me seriously until I prove to them otherwise.

BUT, that's exciting to hear about Audi...haven't really been staying caught up with this kinda news. Seems like an ideal fit to me...looking forward to see what they can do!
Yeah, at first I wasn't sure, it did seem like they were ignoring me, so I ignored them back, then the casual conversation started and it went well after that.

What attracts me to Ducati is not the exclusivity (its almost all Harleys round here anyway), but rather the finishes and sound. I get hypnotized by good paint and trick parts (machined wheels, carbon fiber, shorty exhausts), most everyone who gets a Ducati goes in the garage 10 times a night to look at their new bike - they are the supermodels of bikes. But, in the end, most peeps just want a reliable ride, and just like a high maintenance supermodel, it just isn't worth it, yes it fires your passion, but it also breaks your heart.

Fizzer6R

well you hit it right on the head, everyone wants a shot at a hot italian model. she may not be for everyone, but how can any man resist? some may think it's worth the hassle and pain, while others may not, only you can decide

my lust affair with duc cost me more than any other bike, still would do it again and may. if the right deal comes along on a Tuono i'm in, lost one last year being out bid by $100.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

I have one thing to say.

NEVER road test a DIAVEl, if you do, you are signing the paper work and riding one home :D
Yeah, I didn't test ride anything cause it was raining, but they were like 'come back when its dry and you can ride any bike you want, especially the Diavel' - but, I know how it works, that test ride would prolly get in my blood. I told em the only bikes I would test ride, are the ones I would actually consider buying. I am sure it would be easy to get sidetracked testing the Diavel or 1199 (Multistrada would be more along the lines of my next bike). Maybe it's better I don't test ride any of them :don'tknow:

Last edited: