I need help with General Maintenance and Tips

JZIPPOZ

Hey everyone,
I am new to riding and my FZ6R is my first bike that i have ever owned. I have about 1700 miles on my bike so far and did the first service at 600 miles.
I NEED HELP WITH THE FOLLOWING:
1)How often to change the oil. Miles? Seasons?
2)How often to tighten the chain. I have no idea if this needs to be redone at all or known when to do it?
3)How long do the tires last? I use my bike mainly for commuting/pleasure riding
4)How long do brakes typically last? And when do you know when they need to be replaced?
5)How often do all the fluids need to be checked and or filled?
Any help will be much appreciated

MikeN02

Hey everyone,
I am new to riding and my FZ6R is my first bike that i have ever owned. I have about 1700 miles on my bike so far and did the first service at 600 miles.
I NEED HELP WITH THE FOLLOWING:
1)How often to change the oil. Miles? Seasons?
2)How often to tighten the chain. I have no idea if this needs to be redone at all or known when to do it?
3)How long do the tires last? I use my bike mainly for commuting/pleasure riding
4)How long do brakes typically last? And when do you know when they need to be replaced?
5)How often do all the fluids need to be checked and or filled?
Any help will be much appreciated

Owners Manual - A magic little book that will help you out.

1) Change the oil at 600 Miles, 4,000 miles, and so forth.
2) Check your chain slack, owners manual states that it's between 1.77 to so and so. If it's more or less than that then you need to readjust.
3)Depends on how you ride, what you do with it and also what type of tires they are, one answer is to look at the tire itself and see how much thread you have left.
4) Brake lines usually last a long time, unless you install stainless steel brake lines then you're set for even longer. Brake pads are like tires, you have to check to see if it's worn down.
5)MSF course states you should check all the levers, brakes, tires and fluids before you ride. Look in your owners manual.

WenMark

We have a section on here about everything you mentioned. There are videos on just about everything too. Go into the forum section and look under the related forums to see everything. Like Mike said read the manuel as well. Also see if any bikers in your area and work on them together. It can be a fun day, changing oil, chain tightening, etc mixed in with some good ole rock & roll in the garage. Get you a stand when you can for the rear to prop the bike it makes it easier. good Luck

Heineken

Elite Member