How well did you behave yourself on your 1,600 km break-in period?

How well did you behave yourself on your 1,600 km break-in period?

• Obeyed manual up to 1,600 km

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Obeyed manual up to 1,600 km with the odd digression

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Obeyed manual up to 1,000 km

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Obeyed manual up to 1,000 km with the odd digression

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Obeyed manual up to around 500 km

• Disregarded manual - just rode it like I would any other bike

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Never bought new :(

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ajs310

I see that the owners manual recommends keeping the bike < 5,500 RPM for the first 1,000 km and < 6,500 RPM for the next 600 km after that. Seems like a tough ask! Just wondering how well other behaved themselves? :)

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Grumpy

I just ride'm like they are meant to be ridden.

The only vehicle I followed the break in was on my M3 since the dealer actually checked during the goofie break in BS. They actually told me when I went over X rpm when I picked up the car.

Chucker

I just rode normally without really lettin' her rip. I did give it lots of full throttle action between 6000 and 8000 RPM to seat the rings and valves.

Bert-Aus

IMHO you need to get her opened up to around 9k in acceleration occassionally throughout breakin, just to stretch everything. How else is the engine going to prepare itself for future running?:beer:

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Sammo115

My wife brought home the bike to me with 1 mile on the clock and within the next 4miles, I rode it like I stole it. LOLOLOL. How else are you gonna set the rings? Oh and alot of engine breaking =) but then cruised around up til that 600mile mark then a bat out of hell I go.

An engine can be broken in with mins.

Did the same thing when I broke in my cars engine when I rebuilt it =D engine now has 60k miles on it with no smoking issues or leaking issues. The same goes for my 6R. Im just about 3,500 miles in and gathering oil for its first oil change :steve:

Last edited:

latony007

I just ride'm like they are meant to be ridden.

The only vehicle I followed the break in was on my M3 since the dealer actually checked during the goofie break in BS. They actually told me when I went over X rpm when I picked up the car.
i kept under or at for about 400 miles and after that it was on.

My brother has had an M5, m3 convertible and now an M3 sedan, what a machine. like a slot car. drove the convertible all over hawaii, took the new one up angeles crest so fast.

zcypher

Just rode it. Didn't abuse it but didn't baby it. Rode city, stop and go and some highway but not for hours on end... Didn't pay super super close attention to "break in riding", did my first tune up probably a bit later than I should have. I have over 6500km now and no issues whatsoever, she's amazing.

ajs310

READ IT AGAIN!!!!

it says avoid prolonged operation above those rpms, says nothing about going over those rpms in normal riding... :D
You're right! Just read it again and noticed the word PROLONGED. Looking forward to my first ride even more now :)

BR3NTS

I was trying to be good

Only had the bike 2 days on that second day my mate and I road out to healsvile for lunch, he received a call which required us to be at the hospital ASAP, that hospital was a good 30mins away, practically went against all the manual said oops :p

But I work in Melbourne CBD, 100km/h is 6th gear 5500-6500rpm, I found this really stupid because I can't be at that rpm range for a pro lounged time during break in period.

engineered2win

I broke in my engine as best I could without strapping it to a dyno and doing a 10+ hour high load / high speed break in. IT consisted of normal brisk riding with frequent high gear (high load) full throttle pulls followed by decel via engine braking. I changed the oil at 50 miles and went to full synthetic at 600 miles. Fuel economy stabilized around 1000 miles. Those owners manual break in procedures are a joke. You don't think anyone uses that during engine development and certification do you? My current procedure consists of 3 hours ramping up speed and load up to 75% of redline rpm / WOT, then an oil and filter change, followed by 12 hours at 75% of redline rpm / WOT. That is considered an abbreviated version of an engine break in. Some break in procedures are 30 or 50 hours, and only then do you run health checks and determine if the engine is suitable for further testing.

Last edited:

ajs310

Those owners manual break in procedures are a joke. You don't think anyone uses that during engine development and certification do you?
Oh, I don't doubt there are MUCH quicker ways of breaking in an engine than having to ride 1,000-1,600 km. Part of my concern is potentially voiding the 2 yr manufacturer's warranty. I'd hate something to go wrong and have Yamaha say "Well you didn't follow the owner's manual so you're not covered."