How To: Replace Front Brake Pads in 12 Steps

Notice: This is a guide to aid readers on how to perform maintenance on their motorcycles. The author is not responsible for damages to bike caused by brake system failure or anything else regarding this guide. If you do not know what you are doing, please take it to a professional. Brake system is very important and maintenance should be done to manufacturer specifications. Thank you.

Objective:
- Replacing front brake pads.
- Cleaning and inspecting brake systems.

Tools:
-Torque Wrench
-12mm Socket
-Socket Ratchet
-Small socket extension
-Brake Cleaner
-Clean tooth brush
-Brake pads(EBC Double H Sintered at great!)
-Disposable gloves
-Eye Protection
-Flat piece of metal or wood

Torque Spec:
-Caliper Bolts - 19 lb-ft

Instructions:

Step 1:
Loosen Both bolts to brake caliper evenly. Do not do one bolt at a time.

Step 2:
Place bolts on clean surface. Be sure not to rub off the lubricant that is on the flat part of the bolt.

Step 3:
Open the loops holding the brake lines. Once open, pull caliper straight towards the wheel. Do not turn the caliper or it will be difficult to take off
The next pic, i am circling the loops. Forgot to take picture of it before taking off caliper.

Step 4:
Remove old brake pads by pulling the pads towards the side.
http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p560/Nightmare981/PH000026_zps90267fe3.jpg

Step 5:
Spray pistons with the brake cleaner. Do not hold back. Use toothbrush to take off anything the cleaner does not get. Rinse off the grime with the cleaner. Repeat process until the pistons are clean. Make sure to use it in a well ventilated area and not spray any rubber material.

Step 6:
Push both pistons in at one time. If need be, use a C-Clamp to help push them down using a small flat board of wood. I used my ratchet handle to push them down at once.

Step 7:
Inspect disc for excessive wear. Place new pads on their mounts. The pads direction do not matter. They fit in either position.

Step 8:
Carefully place caliper over the pads. Put the loops back over the brake lines. The hose loops will hold the caliper in place while you line up the holes for the bolts.

Step 9:
Without wiping off any of the grease, slide both bolts till the threads touch the caliper. Screw each one in by hand. DO NOT TIGHTEN DOWN!

Step 10:
Once you have done both calipers, press the brake lever until there is resistant. Have the tire off the ground to allow free spin. With your right hand, spin the tire and with your left, put the brake lever tight once the wheel has spun. Hold the lever tight and tighten the bolts to 19 LB-FT Holding the brake lever while tightening allows the caliper to be tighten in the position to brake, not be at rest. This will help with overall braking ability.

Step 11:
Once everything has been tightened down to proper specs, spin the wheel. Make sure there is no major drag.

Step 12:
Enjoy your new brakes and be careful while you are riding. Give it about 200 miles to brake in. :cool:

If you survived reading this, please feel free to leave a comment to tell me if this is good. Also if you have any questions, please also ask it here and i will reply immediately. :p

Also I wrote this thread for those who will be doing this job alone. I had my Dad to help me out since he need his brakes done too. Also since i didn't get enough pics, you will notice my pistons are clean and my pads are already worn... So i dismantled and redid it to get the necessary pictures. Hope you like!!! :D

J

justBlue

Are brakes on bikes like cars? being there is a little piece of metal that hits the rotor when pad wears down to min level? makes a noise... or just slow feedback and visual inspection. I have about 5,000 miles on my fz6r - when was yours ready to be changed?
Thanks!
Mike

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

Just finished replacing my front brake pads...

Your guide was perfect.

That was one of the easiest brake jobs I ever did... I think it took longer to order the pads than install them.

Thanks, again!!
No problem. This is my first ever brake pad change. Never done one before. Watched a few youtube videos but none of them looked like our calipers. This was really easy...

The funny thing was my 2 local shops wanted to charge me $100 for the job... And they charged me 65$ to replace my back tire that i dont have the tools to do... XD