How to jack up the bike with two brothers on?

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

beefcake morris

I'm looking to do the lowering link install, but am wondering how I would go about jacking up the bike to get the swing arm and wheel to drop if I have a two brothers exhaust already on the bike? Where would I put the jack? Do I use something else? HELP! :)

If you have frame sliders and trust them you could consider some jack stands if they go that high.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

FitZ6R

My first thought on reading the title was, "tell them to get off the bike." Yeah, it was a strange image.

You could get your bros to lift the rear of the bike while you slide jack stands under the passenger footpeg mounting points.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

FastFreddy

I'd recommend you do it with a front wheel chock.

I had a jack pin on one side just in front of the footpeg on the right hand side, and used a trolley jack on the other side near the footpeg to get it level.
(from memory I changed to a scissor jack instead of the jack pin as it could get in the right spot better)

Be very careful, don't bump the bike at all in that position and be mindful of twisting forces when you undo the shock. You have to be ready to balance the bike if anything happens.

Ideally you'd suspend the bike from the roof.

Last edited:

myard12

probably isn't the smartest idea ever but if you have rafters somewhere you could throw ratchet straps over the rafters and hook them on somewhere and just ratchet your bike off the ground. Did this to change the tires on my buddies z1000 and it worked fine.

CtrlAltDl

I've also used the rafters in my garage, but I put a 2x4 across several rafters for some extra support.

I used an engine hoist last week when I took my wheels in to get tires mounted.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

myard12

Find the studs in your garage and put some type of hook in 2 studs and use that to ratchet it off the ground.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

myard12

Go buy a stud finder you can get a cheap one at like ace hardware i'm pretty sure and get a ladder and run the stud finder along the ceiling of your garage and it will tell you where a stud is. Then you'll have to drill a hole and put some kind of anchor up there with a hook on it. Kind of like a ceiling hook http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/217x2noYFyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg only i'd probably find something a little better than that.

Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member
Damn, I was hoping someone had an answer. I have a motorcycle jack........but the TBR is in the way..............we are in the same boat.

Michael Wilson

Or you could just take 5 minutes and unbolt the TBR and use a motorcycle jack.... hmmmm

KISS

Or you could just take 5 minutes and unbolt the TBR and use a motorcycle jack.... hmmmm

KISS
WOW! Now I just need to learn how to un bolt stuff........does it work like a zipper!?

Michael Wilson

I just dont understand what the big deal is. Take off the plastics, removed 8 nuts and 1 bolt then you can jack it up however you please. I dont understand what the big confusion is about jacking up a bike with an exhaust that is in the way.