How to install a relay for beginners?

fz6rowner

I am looking for beginner instructions and part list on how to install a relay. Is there a parts list with what voltage relay to buy, what guage wire, posi tap connector, etc. and how to locate the tail light wire to draw the power from? Is there a youtube video to follow? I have heated grips and USB charger that are connected directly to the battery, and I would like both of them and any new future add-ons to be connected to a ignition key controlled power source instead. This would ensure the power to these accessories is cut off when the bike is turned off.

If there are multiple relays (heated grips, usb charger, etc) would they be sitting in some kind of box housing? What posi-tap connector in terms of tap guage & accessory guage is needed?

Last edited:

adazine

Premium Member

blkbrd

Elite Member

fz6rowner

12V 40A Wiring Harness Kit 2 Leads LED Work Light Pod Cube ON/OFF Rocker Switch https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-2Lead-40A-Remote-Control-Wiring-Harness-Kit-Switch-Relay-Led-Work-Light-Bar/382154586206?epid=22005272371&hash=item58fa30385e:g:COsAAOSwRvdZXzJf&vxp=mtr This harness would provided everything you need to wire a relay for your project. You can shorten the wires where needed. I mounted the switch on the front brake reservoir which worked out perfectly. I installed the relay on the left side behind the seat cowling (you'll see other relays there) make sure the fuse is located as close to the battery as possible for protection of the line. I solder most all of my connections for maximum reliability, but depending on what you are tapping into would determine the connector to be used. I can post pictures later on tonight that show locations.
Look forward to the pictures and where the relay draws power from. I dont need a separate on/off switch. just want the power to all the accessories cut off when the ignition key is turned off.

Last edited:

adazine

Premium Member

fz6rowner

thanks adazine for the pictures but I still dont get it all. another product description, has this circuit diagram. I assume this is what I get when I buy the product. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ImUAAOSwp7taVDWq/s-l1600.jpg

Since I wont need the on/off switch button, I would need to connect the wires like this (the blue line shows what I dont need to connect):

no switch.jpg

The white wire coming out of the relay is what I need to connect to a ignition key powered source like tail light? In this picture, the two led lights show where I could connect heater grips and a USB charger?

Last edited:

adazine

Premium Member

adazine

Premium Member

sti491

Just happened upon your post here. When the slow boat from China finally delivers my jewel light (same as you used we discussed in the other post), and next week when I get the bullet lights for front pods and maybe on the back underseat panels, this is my plan without relays. Please let me know if you think my plan is ok, or if I need a relay.

I already have a rocker switch installed on my left faring top piece for my power commander map switching, that I am not going to need anymore. For the jewel light, because the switch is proximate to my left turn signal wiring, I am planning to get power from the turn signal running light, route the hot lead through the switch though the switch if I need to turn it off at night (if too bright for oncoming traffic). That way the jewel will be on as a DRL along with my signals, unless I turn the switch off. Do you think that is safe, not putting too much juice through the switch without relay? I also did not think I needed a separate fuse, because the turn signal DRL is already fused. Can you confirm this is acceptable?

As far as the 3 wire bullet LED's go, I was just going to wire them directly to my front flush aftermarket signal wires, and my tail light. Good set-up like this?

Appreciate your help. I can do basic wiring and use a multimeter, solder, etc...but I not very familiar with these types of LED lighting additions and the electric load they draw.

I just looked at your diagram more closely and that is essentially what you would be doing to wire up both items. The reason I recommended this harness is that it supplies the relay, wiring (which has the black covering) and a switch if needed. It's rather inexpensive for all that you get and can be tailored to your needs. Cheers.