How to flush radiator and coolant reservoir?

ylwf3vr

Is it in this diagram? I googled it and it says number 8. Part number 90430-06014-00. Doesn't seem right to me tho..

Attachments

Is it in this diagram? I googled it and it says number 8. Part number 90430-06014-00. Doesn't seem right to me tho..
Can't tell for sure from that angle, but it looks right. Do you have a Yamaha dealer around where you could get it? That's the easy way.

ylwf3vr

Can't tell for sure from that angle, but it looks right. Do you have a Yamaha dealer around where you could get it? That's the easy way.
I called and they said it's not necessary to replace those.. "you can if you want to" was their word.

Called parts right after and they don't even show it in their system..

Ricenoodle

I called and they said it's not necessary to replace those.. "you can if you want to" was their word.

Called parts right after and they don't even show it in their system..
Stopped by Yamaha dealership and the part is listed wierd in the breakdown diagram. i will post pics of it including part number for future reference so we're not running in circles.

ylwf3vr

Ricenoodle

This is what i did. Not hard, started with cold engine and 2 bottles of Engine ice.
1.take right side fairing off
2. open drain, open radiator cap,
3. once i drained it, took distilled water and poured into radiator and flushed it all out until clear water came out. I also used a large syringe and a small hose to suck out old fluid out of the reservoir.
4. Put the drain nut on with old washer, filled it to the brim with distilled water and to max line of reservoir, closed cap, lean side to side with bike to clear any bubbles gap, top off with water, close cap.
5. Ran bike for 30 secs
6. Drain and repeat.
7. Drain all water out.
8. Put drain nut back on with new washer, Fill radiator and reservoir with engine ice, Reburp as above and fill to top, check all fittings for tightness.
9. Put fairings back and voila

Last edited:

SoCal600

I thought when you changed the coolant you were also supposed to flush the system with fresh tap water?
i wouldnt use tap water, use distilled water from the store. tap water has minerals and other things that can damage water pumps, cause scale build up and pitting. not sure how much engine ice is but i use prestone yellow 50/50. book says every 24 months but i do it every year. book also says to replace copper washer but i dont, i dont replace the oil drain bolt washer either. could be called a cheap skate or a rebel. i dont see the need to replace it unless it leaks, 59k miles and everything is sound with orginal bolts and washers.... its alot cheaper to change the fluids your self and if you buy coolant just make sure its silica free, silica is abrasive and our water pump impeller is plastic so over time it will eat it up along with seals. $12 once a year to change the coolant myself. total system holds 2 liters so thats half a jug of coolant at the store......

ylwf3vr

Thanks all! It was easy peasy! Other than trying to remove the reserve resovoir.. Lol didn't want to do the turkey baster trick haha. Took me about 1.5 hours to do the flush cuz of those 2 bolts. Now.. What to do with the old coolant......