How to flush radiator and coolant reservoir?

HiveMind

Hey guys, I've been trying to figure out how to flush my coolant so I can put some Engine Ice in but I can't figure it out. Breaking the triple digits in my area and with my coolant as low as it is I figured its about time. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

cezell09

I do believe that there are instructions for it in the regular owners manual. Or possibly it's just for filling it up. There are some instructions in there though about coolant.

Reactions: JSP

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

HiveMind

Thanks guys. I didn't get a user manual when I purchased the bike so I was lost. I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

HiveMind

Alright, finally got around to draining all the coolant. Pretty straightforward process but when I got to the actual reservoir I used a turkey baster to get all the fluid out. Seemed easier than trying to get it off, haha. Thanks again.

Reactions: JSP

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

ylwf3vr

When is the recommended flush? I believe the bike I'm getting is approaching 8200 miles.

ylwf3vr

16k miles or 24 months, whichever comes first...

and grab an official electronic pdf of the owners manual from Yamaha, it's free!
My Yamaha Prompt - Owners Manual
I don't think it's been changed since the purchase.....

EDIT:

Called the dealer and they charge $76.50.. wondering if I should just do it myself..

Last edited:
If you can change your oil, you can easily change your coolant. And getting the reservoir out is no big deal. One bolt is a little hard to get to, because of the exhaust headers, but not too bad. Be careful not to over tighten the drain bolt, because it's really small. When I flushed the system with tap water, I just filled the system a couple times with water, started the engine for a few seconds, then shut it off and drained it again. Finally filled with Engine Ice and burped the system as mentioned above.

Make sure you get a new crush washer for the drain bolt (I think it's copper). Don't put the new washer on until you're putting in the bolt for the last time, or else you may wear it out and it will leak.

Changing every couple years is important. I know that in cars the old coolant/water mix can cause corrosion and head gasket failure, so this is cheap and easy insurance.

A note on Engine Ice, too. Any floating things you see in the Engine Ice are supposed to be there. I called them and they said that is normal.

Last edited:

Ricenoodle

any of you guys have trouble getting the radiator cap off? I turn it all the way off of the notch but the lip of the cap is still catching. any tips?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

ylwf3vr

If you can change your oil, you can easily change your coolant. And getting the reservoir out is no big deal. One bolt is a little hard to get to, because of the exhaust headers, but not too bad. Be careful not to over tighten the drain bolt, because it's really small. When I flushed the system with tap water, I just filled the system a couple times with water, started the engine for a few seconds, then shut it off and drained it again. Finally filled with Engine Ice and burped the system as mentioned above.

Make sure you get a new crush washer for the drain bolt (I think it's copper). Don't put the new washer on until you're putting in the bolt for the last time, or else you may wear it out and it will leak.

Changing every couple years is important. I know that in cars the old coolant/water mix can cause corrosion and head gasket failure, so this is cheap and easy insurance.

A note on Engine Ice, too. Any floating things you see in the Engine Ice are supposed to be there. I called them and they said that is normal.
So is the crush washer for this same as one for the oil drain plug? If not I have to go back to the shop lol:p didn't even think of this washer