How To Fix My License Plate Getting Smashed?

Chaz

So... Every time I take my license plate to the vise, and get it as flat as possible within an hour of riding, my tire takes it out. Due to the fact I just got a custom plate I would like to fix this issue before smashing my 25 dollar investment. Whenever I hit a big bump or pothole the rear tire and my license plate come together and it practically rolls my plate up. I'm assuming my suspension needs to be tightened? How would I go about doing that if that is the issue?

Note: My bike does have a fender eliminator on it.... But I should be able to have a fender eliminator without sacrificing license plates...

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Chaz

look in the tool bag, find the shock adjustment wrench and extension(you need the extension for the torque to turn it!!!), look at your rear shock, if it is on "3", lock the wrench onto the notches and turn either cw or ccw (can't remember which way for up) and click it up to "4"... try it out, if it still happens, take it up to 5 and so on to 7...

if you don't have a tool bag, stop by a shop and ask to borrow one, or order one online, something like this
Amazon.com: Ohlins Shock Spanner Wrench: Automotive
I know I have the spanner wrench in my toolkit. I'll crank her up when I get home today and ride the next chance I get and see if its better. The new plate isn't going on until im sure it won't get smashed.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Chaz

As stated, increase the preload, is this stock fender?
No, the bike has a fender eliminator, not sure which it was on the bike when I got it. Ill try and get a picture up on here later today.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Chucker