How far do you riders lean on stock tires?

adamo3957

When I put my Rosso IIs on, I had to start taking my sidestand off at the track because it touched down. I also make good use of my toe sliders on both boots and use both knee sliders, yet I still have some chicken strips. I don't know how I could get rid of the chicken strips without leaning further than my toes allow. I'm looking at raising the pegs with MFW Vario extensions. That may make the difference.
How do you have your feet on the pegs?

Resting on the balls of your feet?

adamo3957

Also I've done this before but for anyone that want's to know this.

Maximum available lean in the tyre means nothing when the bike can't go that far. sit down behind your bike and look at the tyre. imagine a straight line being drawn at that point as if the bike was leaned over. Now look at all the items in the way of achieving this lean, foot pegs, stands etc, the last lip of the tyre is designed for super sports which can have up to 10 degrees more lean than us.

Hence me repeatedly trying to say, don't chase the chicken strips...

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Chucker

How do you have your feet on the pegs?

Resting on the balls of your feet?
Yes. When I shift my weight to the inside of the turn, my foot turns a little, causing my toe to turn out a bit. If I leave my sidestand on, the stand and my toes touch at the same time. I have Rizoma pegs, which are different enough from the stock pegs that they really can't touch until after my toes do.

Chucker

Also I've done this before but for anyone that want's to know this.

Maximum available lean in the tyre means nothing when the bike can't go that far. sit down behind your bike and look at the tyre. imagine a straight line being drawn at that point as if the bike was leaned over. Now look at all the items in the way of achieving this lean, foot pegs, stands etc, the last lip of the tyre is designed for super sports which can have up to 10 degrees more lean than us.

Hence me repeatedly trying to say, don't chase the chicken strips...
You have to remember that, at speed, the suspension and tires compress in a turn. This causes all of the hard parts, and your feet, to touch down at a lesser lean angle than if you lean your bike over when it's stationary.

Chucker

Sounds like it, I did that once a while back and scared the $h1t out of myself when my toe touched. I ride with the front of my foot on the peg, sqeazing the tank with my knees (making good use of the stomp grips). Even on the highway, because of bad crosswinds I do it this way so I can lighten my grip. The one stretch on my commute gets some bad crosswinds. I ride in a full tuck in the am commute. :Sport:
The ball of your foot is the front of your foot. Beyond that is your toes. The reason race boots have toe sliders is because the toes touch down sometimes.

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

adamo3957

You have to remember that, at speed, the suspension and tires compress in a turn. This causes all of the hard parts, and your feet, to touch down at a lesser lean angle than if you lean your bike over when it's stationary.
I wouldn't recommend leaning the bike while stationary (because if someone drops it, It ain't gonna be my problem).

But yes they will touch down earlier, but I think we're both passing the same message of chicken strips mean nothing if the bike cant do it...

adamo3957

Yes. When I shift my weight to the inside of the turn, my foot turns a little, causing my toe to turn out a bit. If I leave my sidestand on, the stand and my toes touch at the same time. I have Rizoma pegs, which are different enough from the stock pegs that they really can't touch until after my toes do.
The Rizoma pegs will do it, I run the stocks because I see no reason to push that hard, but yeah that explains it...

FastFreddy

Yes, don't chase lean for the sake of chicken strips, they are basically impossible to get rid of with grippy tyres on this bike. Even FX National riders can't get rid of the front chicken strips on the D212 alpha now.

I have to admit that I will choose lines that gives me extra lean if the limit isn't high enough. I practise all the different lines and cornering techniques.

The main one being the "road line" of brake early stay wide on entry, late apex and stay tight on exit.

I'm gonna have to get a trackday fix soon, I'm nowhere near as good as I want to be, I'm still learning after 3 years of riding.

Last edited:

Chucker

I'm gonna have to get a trackday fix soon, I'm nowhere near as good as I want to be, I'm still learning after 3 years of riding.
I see new guys at the track all the time, and it is amazing how much they improve in one day if they talk to the instructors and practice what they're told. A race bike school is really good as well. You get a lot of instruction, practice, and critiquing in 1-3 days.

Chucker

The Rizoma pegs will do it, I run the stocks because I see no reason to push that hard, but yeah that explains it...
Absolutely. I got the Rizoma's for the track. The only other good reasons are for looks or because you live in an area where there are lots of twisties and you take advantage of that.

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Chucker

It's kind of like learning how to skate. At first, it's hard to lean your skates until you're only on one edge. Once you do it a lot and get used to it, you start to trust your edges and then it's no big deal. Keep working at it while slowly increasing your lean angle and pretty soon it becomes old hat.

Last edited:
I'm going to get a camera. I feel like I'm either doing it wrong, or I'm just not being confident enough.

The problem is.. I can turn at slow speeds, just not very well at higher speeds with a tighter corner.

Riccochet

I'm going to get a camera. I feel like I'm either doing it wrong, or I'm just not being confident enough.

The problem is.. I can turn at slow speeds, just not very well at higher speeds with a tighter corner.
Lean your body more than trying to lean the bike. Physically turn your head in the direction you want to go, like looking ahead a good 30-50 feet. You'll get it.

Chucker

I would suggest watching some body position videos, or Twist of the Wrist II. Trying to grasp this through an explanation can lead to more serious issues, like doing it wrong and crashing.

adamo3957

I would suggest watching some body position videos, or Twist of the Wrist II. Trying to grasp this through an explanation can lead to more serious issues, like doing it wrong and crashing.
This. Don't try to understand and attempt one of our poorly written explanations. Read twist of the wrist, then go read it again. Then try taking things slowly, and build up.