How close is to close?

2down

I have gotten my graves r6header in :cool:and bent it a little bit and it clears the oil pan bolted it up to test fit my fz6r. There is about 1/8th of an inch clearance from the header to the oil pan. Wondering if I need to keep bending or is this good.:confused: I'm brain storming at this point. What damage could this cause to either the header or oil pan? I figure it would heat the pan and oil and bla bla but I'm not sure how far away is a safe distance. Thanks everyone.

BluePill

That's pretty close. If you can get at least 3/8 inch, I think it would be better. Installing a bright metal (aluminum, stainless steel, etc.) shield to the top of your pipes would help a lot. It would reflect the heat away from the oil pan. If you can devise even a thin insulator between the shield and the pipes, that would work better, because heat conduction would be reduced. Post up some photos of your project.

NUISANCE

I have a little over an 1/8th inch clearance on my header. Before putting the coating it I rode it a few thousand miles to make sure there was enough clearance, you could do that and if you need more then bend it more.

BTW- Anyway you can post up measurements of the internal diameter of the stock header and the one you have for future reference? I noticed that the R6 header I used had a slightly larger internal diameter compared to the stock header but forgot to measure it before putting it on for good.

2down

I will post some pictures when back home. We are at my girls parents this weekend. I was thinking of using some of the exhaust heat wrap. I already coated the headers in high temp psint. The shield is a great idea. And I will try to measure the stock exhaust when I get home Monday. Thanks everyone!

AL72

Or you could ceramic coat the header like I did mine.

Hi Nuisance, I like your radiator guard. It's custom made?

Regards!

mike

I have gotten my graves r6header in :cool:and bent it a little bit and it clears the oil pan bolted it up to test fit my fz6r. There is about 1/8th of an inch clearance from the header to the oil pan. Wondering if I need to keep bending or is this good.:confused: I'm brain storming at this point. What damage could this cause to either the header or oil pan? I figure it would heat the pan and oil and bla bla but I'm not sure how far away is a safe distance. Thanks everyone.
The exhaust pipe on a R6 barely clears the oil pan. There is no heat shield or anything on the R6. I don't think you will cause any damage with having 1/8 clearance. Just make sure it doesn't rub and you should be good to go.

If you think about what the CAT did and the heat created from it, coupled with the clearance it had - I'd guess the radiant heat and absorbtion rates are about the same.
Certainly more would be better tho...

Just add an oil cooler! :p