How cleaning my chain (probably) saved my life.

Thought I might share some odd events that happened over the past two days. The short and sweet of the matter is that after rotating my tire while on a rear stand I began to hear some clicking noises coming from my chain, upon closer inspection I noticed that my chain guide was awfully close to the rod that does all the shifting. After finagling with it trying to get it to align properly I got around to pulling the cover of the front sprocket off only to see something very disturbing, there was no nut or washer and my sprocket was sitting on the threads.

I haven't a clue as to when these pieces went missing and I had rode the bike back to the station (fire station where I live) just the night before, what's crazy to me is that I never noticed, and literally on a whim had decided thE morning after to clean and lube the chain. I had begun and finished up cleaning my air filter the night before and was almost content with only doing that and just riding my bike as usual. But something made me decide to clean that chain and potentially prevent a catastrophic failure at speed. Adding to the randomness of events I also, just the day before, decided I was going to restock my cleaning supplies for the bike, and I really almost didnt clean the chain. It was raining in my area and i was just going to wait till the next day to get it all done with. Long winded I know, but Just had to tell the world that I came very close to danger!

On a totally random note, anyone in the Woodbridge, Va area stay away from Coleman Powersports for maintenance, Im sure they may do a bang up job but I got a quote for a 32,000mi service at almost a grand, and found another "pro yamaha" shop doing it for $425. They're crooks!

adamo3957

Buy tools,
Learn to do maintenance yourself,
Don't have these issues.

I don't trust mechanics, and the local mechanics in the area know me that well that instead of doing the work they just let me use the hoist... I only ever go to them when I need a hoist...

There's already a lengthy thread on this. Search "chain maintenance". It's in the owners manual which can be found online. Every 600mi or whenever it gets wet. I use WD40 to clean then an o-ring safe lube. But you should really check out that other thread.

To OP on the new sprocket make sure you use lock tight on the threads and use a punch to dent the safety so it won't back off in the future.

adamo3957

There's already a lengthy thread on this. Search "chain maintenance". It's in the owners manual which can be found online. Every 600mi or whenever it gets wet. I use WD40 to clean then an o-ring safe lube. But you should really check out that other thread.
Wd40 and chain lube don't mix. Also wd40 isn't a cleaning product... What actually happens is the wd40 prevents the lube from sticking to the chain, this promotes fling and effectively your running wd40 as chain lube.

I actually use and recommend wd40 as chain lube and run it myself.

Also the shop manual states use chain cleaner or kerosene (don't expose chain to kerosene for more than 10 minutes (double bracket because that warning is from the shop manual and not me)), and to lubricate with engine oil or o ring safe chain lube/wax.

Runragged2

Wd40 and chain lube don't mix. Also wd40 isn't a cleaning product... What actually happens is the wd40 prevents the lube from sticking to the chain, this promotes fling and effectively your running wd40 as chain lube.

I actually use and recommend wd40 as chain lube and run it myself.

Also the shop manual states use chain cleaner or kerosene (don't expose chain to kerosene for more than 10 minutes (double bracket because that warning is from the shop manual and not me)), and to lubricate with engine oil or o ring safe chain lube/wax.
WD40 contains Kerosene, so could be used to clean off the chain lube, but make sure it is cleaned off before using chain lube.

Recommended method is to clean chain with kerosene, wait 15 mons, wash off, dry then lube.
Recommended intervals: lube 250 to 300 miles or shorter if wet.
Clean after 600 miles.
This is in the owners manual for the XJ6, the european equivalent model