How can I wind proof these handguards??

Rey LeQuan

So even with my heated grips and thermal lined gloves, the wind is too much for my fingers when the temps are below 30°. I found these handguards at a CycleGear in Plano, TX. To make the hand guard brackets fit, I had to shift the front brake and clutch brackets in about an inch. Easy install all said and done, and they seem to cover the area where my hands will be almost perfectly. Problem is, they each have these 5 slats that allow wind to seep in. What would be my best bet to windproof these?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

bleedinblue

Elite Member
Last edited:

DarkWing

May look a little tacky... but how about some black electrical tap to cover the holes?? If it is just a temp thing for the winter... thats what i would do

Rey LeQuan

May look a little tacky... but how about some black electrical tap to cover the holes?? If it is just a temp thing for the winter... thats what i would do
That's what I was thinking, but I don't know how wind-permeable that tape would be at speed. Probably gonna be my best bet.

DarkWing

I dont think i would worry about wind getting through it. Just do a good job taping it you know? cover up the holes and then go around it a few times vertical or something. I have used black electrical tape for so many things and honestly, if you do it right, sometimes it can look very nice. If you are that worried about it, try putting cross layers on the inside too. I think it would look fine since they are black right?

Y

yellowfz

What ever you do don't use Duct tape, go to Pep Boys or some other Auto store and pick up some black vinyl or for that matter any other color, one used for decals or pin strips. I think they sell sheets of it or a sign place will have some too.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

knightmare

Why not use some epoxy or bondo or even silicone?

I agree.... Epoxy the holes.... And repaint.... Like u said u want it for the cold..... Mod out the had guards.... Lol....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Y

yellowfz

If you epoxy use the liquid plastic available at automotive stores, it is sandable it is called "Plastic Welder" by ITW -- ITW Devcon | Plastic Welder?. I call this the wonder Plastic, I wonder how I ever got by without it.
Found this stuff back in the overclocking water cooling gaming computer days.

Rey LeQuan

Appreciate all the feedback! I threw some electrical tape on the hand guards for now. This weekend I'll try and epoxy the holes up. The electrical tape matches almost perfectly, who needs paint lol.