Homemade Top Case Rack!

daddyrack

Premium Member

SpawnXX

Premium Member

BoneJj

Good thinking, it isnt your fault you havent learned to bend pipe.
Its a art and takes time to learn.
If you don't have access to a 1/2'' bender, you can still make a nice bend with 1/2'' if you know what your doing..Its the easiest pipe to learn with.
It takes 5'' to make a 90degree bend without crimping the pipe, so you can find a object with a diameter of 9'' + and use it as a guide to bend the pipe around (I say 9'' instead of 10'' becuase after you wrap the 1/2'' pipe around a 9'' object it will have about a 10''diamater
Im a electrician and have bent this stuff 10+ years, feel free to pm me.
Here is a link showing how to make basic bends
(EMT Bender)Conduit Bending Instructions - Electrical References - Elliott Electric Supply
Another trick is to fill the pipe with small particle sand. It will help to prevent creases and also help it to keep it's nice round shape. This is normally for doing copper pipe for well other forms of preparation for alcohols but yeah it works pretty good for just about any pipe really. You can get some really nice looking bends with it. Just temporarily cap the ends with something that's going to hold strong.

yfz6r

Is all this crease talk really going to make a significant difference in this type of rack?
Not trying to be insulting, just learning.

I'll definitely be building one of these this summer

bleedinblue

Elite Member
Last edited:

motoguy82

do you think a passenger could ride with it on? doubt it was your intent to use it as a passenger backrest, but it looks like maybe a couple inches extended back and it woul work well for that? great work, must say. if I'd thought of this before I got my givi rack, I would have went this route...plus this looks very easily removable unlike the givi.

Roaddawg

do you think a passenger could ride with it on? doubt it was your intent to use it as a passenger backrest, but it looks like maybe a couple inches extended back and it woul work well for that? great work, must say. if I'd thought of this before I got my givi rack, I would have went this route...plus this looks very easily removable unlike the givi.
I was going to move it back a couple more inches, but I didn't like it hanging out that far. I had my 15 year old (who's 6'1"/175 lbs) just jump on the back with me on it and he had about 2-3 inches of room behind him. As for using as a backrest, don't know for sure. He leaned back on it some and said it felt pretty solid...no flexing at all. The case to the mounting plate is what is a little wobbly (manufacturers design, not mine). That's why I put a bunch of rubber pads on the plate to reduce the case wobble. But, I suppose a passenger leaning on it a little wouldn't hurt it.

Removal wise, its only the four bolts under the rear seat. 5-10 minutes to remove.

I showed a couple guys at work (who are bike riders as well) and they couldn't believe I made it. Said they thought I bought an aftermarket rack. So, I'm more than happy with it. Might work on a cleaner version on my days off this week.

Last edited:

daddyrack

Premium Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Roaddawg

Thanks for the inspiration Roaddawg

I found a top case on clearance for $45 today, the largere of the 2 models.It says a fullface will fit inside, and has a passenger backrest.I just thought id try it for $45.
Garage Pro Universal Motorcycle Travel Trunks - JCWhitney

I have 100' of 3/4 emt, and a bender.But im not doing it until spring, or at least a warm weekend.But i'll make sure to post pics when im done.
Glad I could help. That large one might fit two helmets...or at least a lot of room for one plus gear. Look forward to the pics!

bleedinblue

Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member
Last edited:

dsc

Brilliant solutions!

First I read your post on the how to mount the case without a rack. That was way cool!

Then I saw this post on how to make a rack. Wow! Amazingly simple, functional, and cheap.

I'm ordering the case, and will make the rack when I have time.

Thanks Roaddawg for posting the ideas with all the details.

dsc

How to get mount tabs under grab rail mounts?

I took a close look at the grab rail. The rail tabs have about half an inch of material below the tab and curves around the bike's rear plastic. Thus, the rack mount tabs can't get a straight shot to the bike's mount holes. I can take a pic to explain if this isn't clear.

Did you bend the rack tabs to go under the rail's material, or did you cut the material off the grab rail? Or some other slick solution?

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member