High-tech helmet w/ GPS, heads-up display, audio, rear view, etc.

latony007

I'm talking to some of my classmates about making one. I'd like to know how much you guys value the benefits from the Skully helmet. So if you started out with a normal helmet(no added perks) either a $60 or a $600, doesn't matter, how much money would you pay to have the GPS, Bluetooth, Pandora, rear camera view, and HUD incorporated into the helmet?

If all goes well we can solve your dilemma :)
well id be willing to go up to probably 500 for the whole deal. But i certainly wouldnt do it if there were wires hanging all over it or a webcam glued on the back :) Make sure it has the communicator in it too. My bluetooth helmets can hook to each other so you can talk without a phone up to about 40 feet or so.

Cerebus

I'm talking to some of my classmates about making one. I'd like to know how much you guys value the benefits from the Skully helmet. So if you started out with a normal helmet(no added perks) either a $60 or a $600, doesn't matter, how much money would you pay to have the GPS, Bluetooth, Pandora, rear camera view, and HUD incorporated into the helmet?
I don't care about things like Pandora. If I can link it to my phone, the music is taken care of. With that said, you have to figure on paying at least several hundred dollars. Just a good add-on Bluetooth unit for your helmet is $150'ish.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

VRIIClubby

why not, my TORC Bluetooth with internal visor is an awesome helmet that has built in communicators etc. and was only 250. Shoei is the apple of helmets in my opinion.
Educated opinion or just a whim? lol

Looks unreal, like to see the crash data on the helmet, gadgets are great, but not at the potential cost of safety.
It is your head afterall. $100 helmet to protect your head then a $200 pair of gloves? crazy.

latony007

Looks unreal, like to see the crash data on the helmet, gadgets are great, but not at the potential cost of safety.
It is your head afterall. $100 helmet to protect your head then a $200 pair of gloves? crazy.[/QUOTE

Whim, I have no knowledge :)
I asked someone to let me know why a shoei is 5 or 600 with nothing in it. Is safety data that far apart on helmets? I am going to do a little googling on it thanks to you.
I agree that gadgets are not worth the price of safety but I actually hope this helmet will make riding safer. It would be nice not to have to look over your shoulder and take your eyes off front even for a second or to just make it easier to keep an eye one whats going on behind you. And my gloves were on sale for like 40$ :D

Cerebus

I was told the "premium" helmets (Shoei, Arai, etc) are made with different densities of foam in different areas. Also that they are good for 5 years as opposed to the 3 years of typical helmets. No idea if that's true or not.

latony007

It is your head afterall. $100 helmet to protect your head then a $200 pair of gloves? crazy.
ok so I did some searching and basically what they all said was that the shoei is a great quite comfortable helmet, but does not protect you any more than other DOT/Snell (full) helmets and basically you are paying for the name and maybe a nicer paint job. I could not find any crash test info like you would on a car for any helmets.

I don't use it that much because the Torc matches my bike so well and has the internal sun shield but the Vcan 136 is the best value helmet I have, full integrated Bluetooth and bike to bike for like 125$, plus its light and comfy.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Cerebus

Assuming the production model functions like they say, and it fit my head, I would most likely pay the $1k. I can't imagine paying too much more as that is already bordering on "obscene" for me.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

latony007

lol, who was thinking it was going to be in the $5-600 range?
That was me

holy smokes

has attracted more than 35,000 requests to be beta testers through an online form

The Skully helmet is designed to be a premium product costing somewhere "north of $1,000, but not obscene," said Weller. It'll have a nine-hour battery life, to outlast a full day's worth of riding.
Hello, north of 1000 is obscene. 1/6 the price of the motorcycle for a helmet? Let me see which do you think costs more to make 6 helmets or 1 fz6r?
imagine if you had a 250 or 300 it would be 25% of the cost of the motorcycle.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member