High-pitched "electrical-engine" sounding noise

Copper6R11

I just reached my 600 miles and brought my fz6r in for her first service. Ever since then, escpecially when im starting out from stop, i hear a high-pitched whinning noise that sounds like an electrical engine of some kind, like a bumper car or an older shitty whinny car. It seems like the sound is completely seperate from my regular engine sound/noise, and i didnt here it up until the service. It does not make the sound when the bike is not moving, even when reving. I got my oil changed, new oil filter, and they lubed up the chain along with anything else they do on the first service. Honestly, it sounds awful like my bike is a hybrid or something. My fear is that it didn't sound this way yet because i was still breaking her in.

Has anyone else heard this? Is it normal on our bikes? Will it always sound this way or will it go away? ...Or is there something i can do to fix it?

If anyone can help me out I'd greatly appreciate it, Thanks.

Copper6R11

Im thinking more and more maybe this sound is normal and i just didnt notice it before, but any input from other owners would help alot.

b_who

I haven't had mine do that once and I've put 6000 miles on mine

post up a video to give people a better idea of what the sound is if you can.
have you bin able to isolate were the sound is coming from?

Reactions: JSP

Copper6R11

it sounds like its coming out from the front by like the radiator maybe. Ill take a vid/ sound clip tomorrow n hopefully that will help.

Copper6R11

it sounds kinda like a golf cart, in sync with the engine, you can kind of hear it if u listen closely when this guy is riding around in this video...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2083FyzihAQ]YouTube - ‪Yamaha FZ6R HD - Walkaround, stock exhaust sound and Ride‬‏[/ame]

If its not just happeneding on my bike, im not too worried about it. But i definatly didn't hear it before my service, and it doesn't sound good...sounds like the bike has an electrical engine.

dhewitt88

I think I can hear what your talking about on that video. I got my bike about 3 weeks ago, and had the first service on 600 like you but I don't remember ever hearing that.. Maybe the road noise covers it up for me..

Copper6R11

im prolly just a noob and all im hearing is the engine working, which sounds diff. than the exhaust. I did have a clicking/rattling sound in the front that the mechanic fixed, so that was prolly just overpowering this noise which is why i didn't hear it before. But i seriously hope theres nothing wrong with my bike. Its only a week old.

Deanohh

Listen to a few more bikes run. You'll hear that whine from a lot of performance motorcycle engines. I used to think it was the cams turning, but I really don't know what it is. To me it's just a song the engine makes.

DragonBlu

Sounds just like mine. All normal noises for this bike. Listen to a Ducati and then you will like the sounds yours makes. :)

ChUcK

Listen to a Ducati and then you will like the sounds yours makes. :)
Haha, so true.

My fuel pump makes a high-pitched whine that is barely within my threshold of hearing. Other people cannot hear the whine that I can, and I have definitely used my SONAR skills to triangulate the sound to the fuel pump. When I press on the fuel pump (with the gas tank hinged upwards and engine running) the sound goes away. I tried to tighten the fuel pump mounting bolts and it made no difference. I'm just gonna not worry about it and ride that fuel pump till its wheels fall off, then get a new one.

My high-pitched whine was not audible in the video above, but it's audible in this one. It comes and goes, depending upon where I held the camera:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do5b3-l6TG0]YouTube - ‪Sync Progress‬‏[/ame]

DragonBlu

Well it's been said before,but on the Blue ones it is the supercharger whine that people are hearing.;)

djf18374

My bike makes the same noise, actually kinda sounded like the jetson's car when taking off from stops. I don't hear it much anymore though...A little exhaust mod makes sure all I hear is the sweet sweet music from the 600cc's of awesome :)
I would not worry about the noise, it might be from some sort of intake resonance at lower RPM's under load.

Copper6R11

Sounds just like mine. All normal noises for this bike. Listen to a Ducati and then you will like the sounds yours makes. :)
My bike makes the same noise, actually kinda sounded like the jetson's car when taking off from stops. I don't hear it much anymore though...A little exhaust mod makes sure all I hear is the sweet sweet music from the 600cc's of awesome :)
I would not worry about the noise, it might be from some sort of intake resonance at lower RPM's under load.
Thanks everyone. Yeah, i guess i just didn't notice it at first. It does make the bike sound "electric", but once i get my tbr exhaust im sure that sweetness is all i'll hear :D:cool::rockon:

Copper6R11

Haha, so true.

My fuel pump makes a high-pitched whine that is barely within my threshold of hearing. Other people cannot hear the whine that I can, and I have definitely used my SONAR skills to triangulate the sound to the fuel pump. When I press on the fuel pump (with the gas tank hinged upwards and engine running) the sound goes away. I tried to tighten the fuel pump mounting bolts and it made no difference. I'm just gonna not worry about it and ride that fuel pump till its wheels fall off, then get a new one.

My high-pitched whine was not audible in the video above, but it's audible in this one. It comes and goes, depending upon where I held the camera:
YouTube - ‪Sync Progress‬‏
Oh, not sure if thats the same, mine only makes it while the bike is moving and is pretty loud. Its not really "high-pitched". But it sounds like we all have it. I think this is what ppl meant in some reviews when they said"...has an electrical sounding engine.

My question is can u still hear it a little bit with an aftermarket exhaust like tbr?

Idiosynocracy

My bike makes a squeaking/higher pitched noise when it first starts up. I changed the oil and filter at 600 miles and did the whole maintenance. It's a weird noise but as the bike warms up, it goes away. Should I be concerned about this?

patm80

whining sound

I just bought a brand new fz6r picked it up about 2 weeks ago and it has the same sound I'm pretty sure its just the cams moving because my other bike a cbr250r 2011 model has an even worse sounding rattling noise that's the cams but it only happens at about 4-5000 rpm in the lower gears that's why I think its the cams

SurfJunkie

Its called cold oil / valves.

Fire the bike up cold. let it idle while you stand next to it for a few mins. After about a min and a half as the oil heats to operating temp, you will hear it really quiet down.

No big deal.