Hidden Cutoff Switch

ChUcK

I spliced into my cutoff switch line and installed a hidden cutoff on the bike. It works just fine, but now I'm having second thoughts about my splice location.

Would it be better to have the switch wired into the ignition's power supply? As in, when they key is turned nothing happens? Right now the electrical system still performs the whole start-up sequence, minus the sound of the FI self test.

Any relevant ideas/theories?

And please, for the love of all that won't be rapturized today, don't inform me that all it takes it 3 guys and a F-150 to steal my bike. That's not wisdom, that's regurgitation. I want to talk about electrical system theory, with scattered showers of thief psychology.

See red

That's a pretty good idea. Should keep most people from getting it. I do a fuel pump switch on all my bikes and cars. You can turn it on by hot wiring, but no fuel, no go.

Wtf?

I spliced into my cutoff switch line and installed a hidden cutoff on the bike. It works just fine, but now I'm having second thoughts about my splice location.

Would it be better to have the switch wired into the ignition's power supply? As in, when they key is turned nothing happens? Right now the electrical system still performs the whole start-up sequence, minus the sound of the FI self test.

Any relevant ideas/theories?

And please, for the love of all that won't be rapturized today, don't inform me that all it takes it 3 guys and a F-150 to steal my bike. That's not wisdom, that's regurgitation. I want to talk about electrical system theory, with scattered showers of thief psychology.

Dude stop smoking crack and rambling on
and on about shit that doesn't make sense.
The only purpose for a cut off switch is to
kill all lights. If it's legal in your state
to have one.
Your bike already has a cut
off switch, what is the point?

raven6

hummm....

BTW did you know it only takes 3 guys and a F-150 to steal your bike.

FitZ6R

Would it be better to have the switch wired into the ignition's power supply? As in, when they key is turned nothing happens?
From the thief-psychology perspective, I the way you have it now. The ignition appears to be on, so the d-bag will probably waste more time fiddling with the kickstand, clutch and neutral, maybe trying to bump-start it.

If you really want to F their day, put switches in both locations.

And please, for the love of all that won't be rapturized today, don't inform me that all it takes it 3 guys and a F-150 to steal my bike.
Nah, Fords suck. Chevy HD is the only way to go. Glad to help. :D

ChUcK

Dude stop smoking crack and rambling on
and on about shit that doesn't make sense.
The only purpose for a cut off switch is to
kill all lights. If it's legal in your state
to have one.
Your bike already has a cut
off switch, what is the point?
Ummm, the cutoff switch doesn't kill the lights, at least not the headlight. It seems to just kill the engine. Are we talking about the same switch? The one on the right hand control cluster that every bike I have ever seen boasts? Am I really not making sense?

The point is that for a casual thief it will befuddle them, making it too much of a hassle to mess with. Then they'll just steal the Black Hummer H2 across the street that's just bursting with chicks and Dom Perignon.

raven6, you're fired!

Harda, that is not a bad idea but I have never liked alarm systems. Too sensitive, not sensitive enough, going off all night, forget to disable and look like a douche in the parking lot, etc. My delicate constitution is not made for car alarms.

Last edited:

husker525

Wire in a racing ATV tether switch. It is a 2 wire connection, one to the power, one to ground. Hide it under the rear seat or rear cowl. It will crank, but it will not fire. It will be concealed, and no one will want to pry the rear seat off to get to it, nor even think about it.

ChUcK

Wire in a racing ATV tether switch. It is a 2 wire connection, one to the power, one to ground. Hide it under the rear seat or rear cowl. It will crank, but it will not fire. It will be concealed, and no one will want to pry the rear seat off to get to it, nor even think about it.
Never thought of that. What, you just have the other end connected to your jacket or something? This is like a dead man switch, right?

husker525

You could attach it to your jacket if you wanted, and just mount it on the handlebar, but then it would not be hidden. Just remove the tether and use the plug, then hide it wherever you wish. If you wish to use the tether, just attach it to your throttle side, and put it around your wrist, like the drag racers do.

FitZ6R

Ummm, the cutoff switch doesn't kill the lights, at least not the headlight. It seems to just kill the engine. Are we talking about the same switch? The one on the right hand control cluster that every bike I have ever seen boasts? Am I really not making sense?
Makes sense to me. It's obvious you're talking about a hidden engine kill switch. Daniel seems to be referring to a blackout switch to disable the lights. Not sure why he's so upset. :rolleyes:

Spitfire

I don't know about where you live but I live in the ghetto so I was worried when I got my bike... so I bought a $60 disc alarm that takes all but 5 seconds to attach and 5 seconds to remove... If you jiggle the bike or touch the alarm it starts with a not-so-annoying 5 second beep and then gets loud, giving you enough time to unlock it yourself, so long as you dont screw up and you have to unlock it all the while going deaf... Best thing about it in my opinion is its not tiny and its bright yellow, just big enough to fit under the rear seat... anyways just my .02... Hope it helps!

About it going off in the middle of the night, hasn't happened yet so I think it's ok... had some kids (10-12 yr old girls?) come up and touch the bike etc and that didn't set it off so I think it's at a really good sensitivity...

Correction!

The point is that for a casual thief it will befuddle them, making it too much of a hassle to mess with. Then they'll just steal the Black Hummer H2 across the street that's just bursting with chicks and Dom Perignon.

raven6, you're fired!

Harda, that is not a bad idea but I have never liked alarm systems. Too sensitive, not sensitive enough, going off all night, forget to disable and look like a douche in the parking lot, etc. My delicate constitution is not made for car alarms.
Makes sense to me. It's obvious you're talking about a hidden engine kill switch. Daniel seems to be referring to a blackout switch to disable the lights. Not sure why he's so upset. :rolleyes:

Chuck: Apologies my friend, I do believe we were
not talking about the same switch. lol
FitZ6R: That's exactly what I was referring to,
a blackout switch, which I misconceived Chucks post
about his hidden kill switch. However, I don't see
a purpose for a hidden kill switch, why would one
need a hidden kill switch? If you secure your bike,
a hidden kill switch wouldn't be needed. Even with no
power, the bike can still be rolled away. I don't
know how a hidden kill switch serves any purpose
because who besides yourself would have your
keys? Wouldn't a "potential thief" need to get past
your first kill switch? How would that be possible
if he didn't already have your keys? :confused:
I desire more information in regards to blackout
switchs.. Here in Cali I use a disc lock, Fork lock,
and I have my Kryptonite lock locking my rear wheel
into place, if you can prevent the wheels from
moving, the bike connot be rolled or riden away, as
the wheels are locked in place, which means,
"Your potential thief with the F-150"
would have to pull the truck up right to your
bike, and pick the bike straight up, and then
place it in the truck bed, because the tires
cant move, making it impossible to steal.
Plus it helps to have a Glock 19, and have
my bike parked outside my bedroom window.
If my old lady would let me bring it in, I would.