Hi-beam?

Invader Jim

I don't use high beams during the day. I always use them at night unless approaching oncoming traffic.

Using them at night with oncoming traffic is a good way to get killed. Using them during the day can be obnoxious. I think a high-viz helmet and or helmet/vest/jacket during the day will make you more conspicuous than high beams. The modulating beam seems like a good way to go if you are really concerned.

latony007

There are two different things here going on. The bulb ylwf3vr is asking about looks like it's for tail light, and I don't know anything about that.

For the headlight modulator, I'll have to ask more specific directions from my husband, but it took him all of 5 seconds to switch the modulator from my cruiser to the fz6r when I bought the bike. I know it attaches to the back of the light, you don't actually do anything with the bulb. I'll have him get on tomorrow and explain it better. :eek:

I tried to take a picture of it, but couldn't get a good one. Yes, I just went out to the garage in my bathrobe and slippers at 9:30 pm to take pictures of my bike... Too bad it was an epic fail... :rolleyes:
That's dedication to the Forum! :)
im curious to what he says about putting it on. I may get one.
Thanks

Maadi

Just borrowing Maadi's account. :) Installation is a breeze, just unplug the light bulb (no need to remove anything) and the modulator plugs inline, one end to the bulb; one to the plug end. Add the light sensor and your good to go. 5 min including reading the directions :) Regarding longevity. .. since it modulates the high beam (not flashing on-off but rather takes it from 100% down to about 17% and then up again) it is very easy on the bulb have not had one burn out on any of our motorcycles that's in 7 years and 4 different bikes. Also about the rear tail light modulator. .. check your local laws, may be illegal only headlights are covered under the US DOT. Hope this helps. -Mr. Maadi

latony007

Just borrowing Maadi's account. :) Installation is a breeze, just unplug the light bulb (no need to remove anything) and the modulator plugs inline, one end to the bulb; one to the plug end. Add the light sensor and your good to go. 5 min including reading the directions :) Regarding longevity. .. since it modulates the high beam (not flashing on-off but rather takes it from 100% down to about 17% and then up again) it is very easy on the bulb have not had one burn out on any of our motorcycles that's in 7 years and 4 different bikes. Also about the rear tail light modulator. .. check your local laws, may be illegal only headlights are covered under the US DOT. Hope this helps. -Mr. Maadi
I am going to have to take another look at the front. Looked like a bunch of crap had to come off to get to it. Thanks a lot for both your help!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

latony007

it's easier with one fairing off, but, if you lay down and look up, it's right there!
ok you have convinced me to lay down on the garage floor and take a look. This seems like a good safety mod. Id love to have one of the HID mods by rabbit but its triple, I would have to get the whole housing out and send and then I hear there is some problems with side light around turns or something. This sight just leads to way too much spending my wife is going to kill me if she finds out lol

Rumpig

Digging up an old thread as i didn't want to start a new one, has anyone noticed that when you filck to high beam, it dips your low beam and you get a shadow right in front of the bike? But if you flash your high beam with the flasher switch (2013 model) the low beam stays on and you don't get the shadow.

I pulled the switch housing apart hoping i could just swap the wires between the 2 switches so when you put high beam on low would stay on as well, but it appears the low beam dipper is built in to the high beam switch so this won't work.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member
Last edited:

Chucker

Digging up an old thread as i didn't want to start a new one, has anyone noticed that when you filck to high beam, it dips your low beam and you get a shadow right in front of the bike? But if you flash your high beam with the flasher switch (2013 model) the low beam stays on and you don't get the shadow.

I pulled the switch housing apart hoping i could just swap the wires between the 2 switches so when you put high beam on low would stay on as well, but it appears the low beam dipper is built in to the high beam switch so this won't work.
I'd be worried about overheating the headlight unit if both were on. A flash is one thing, but on constantly would get really hot. I don't know for sure, but I've always believed excessive heat is the reason both filaments aren't lit at the same time. Even in cars, 2 light systems usually are only high or low, whereas 4 light systems will keep all 4 lit.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

jarshie

I'd be worried about overheating the headlight unit if both were on. A flash is one thing, but on constantly would get really hot. I don't know for sure, but I've always believed excessive heat is the reason both filaments aren't lit at the same time. Even in cars, 2 light systems usually are only high or low, whereas 4 light systems will keep all 4 lit.
My two cents and parts background will back this. You may get away with not overheating the bulb/filaments, but i doubt it and would def leave it as is

Ivan_13

Does running the hi beam all the time shorten the life of the bulb?
I ride with my high beams 24/7, and my high beam burnt out quicker than I expected it to. The price for a new bulb, doesn't really matter to me though, i'd rather have the piece of mind.

Malicioso

But wait...

If you have your high beam on during the day, then the flash to pass would be useless, I've used it a number of times during the day when drivers approaching an intersection haven't seen me yet, or on similar scenarios when giving way to pedestrians at crossings.

Chucker

But wait...

If you have your high beam on during the day, then the flash to pass ... I've used it a number of times during the day when drivers approaching an intersection haven't seen me yet.
Be careful with this. Sometimes people think you're giving them the go ahead and it makes them turn in front of you.

Anyone (including bikes) coming in my direction with high beams on will get the same in return.
Anything more than a quick flash of your high beam can make this dangerous situation even more dangerous = 2 blinded drivers approaching each other at speed. While it feels good to give them a blast if they don't lower their high beams, it's much safer to look down and to the right and move over to the right side of the lane.