Help!

jdesiano1

Sorry for the long post but please read.

The other day we installed Oxford Hot hands grip wraps. Rode fine for 2 weeks. Leave from the house this past Saturday and everytime I go to change gears the bike jumps forward like I am popping the clutch. So at first I am like okay just having a crappy day shifting. So we get going down the road and EVERYTIME I shift this happens. (I don't suck this bad) So finally we get into town and I tell my hubby please ride it for a minute and tell me if you notice anything. So he rides and says its fine. Okay so I accept crappy day but at least nothing is wrong with my bike right. Well we get going again and come up to this group of cars. I signal to pass them and roll on the throttle. I get up to about 70 cut in front of them and let off the throttle well it stays at 70 this doesnt register with me until later. Finally towards the end of the day I realize I am having to Roll off the throttle (like turn it off) to get it to engine brake. I am like well thats the problem everytime I would shift the throttle would not back off causing the engine to lurch when I shifted gears.
So now we are trying to figure out what could be wrong with my throttle to make it stick. It does roll off gradually just nowhere near as quick as it is supposed to. Any ideas. Hope ya'll can understand what I am saying. We took the wraps off they have nothing to do with it. :confused:

jdesiano1

Air temp was around 55 Bike temp was anywhere from 160 to 191. This happend from 12:00pm to 6:00 PM

cbzdel

edit: re-read it and it sounds like you need to re-adjust or lube your throttle cable..

redwing-2001

Sorry for the long post but please read.

The other day we installed Oxford Hot hands grip wraps. Rode fine for 2 weeks. Leave from the house this past Saturday and everytime I go to change gears the bike jumps forward like I am popping the clutch. So at first I am like okay just having a crappy day shifting. So we get going down the road and EVERYTIME I shift this happens. (I don't suck this bad) So finally we get into town and I tell my hubby please ride it for a minute and tell me if you notice anything. So he rides and says its fine. Okay so I accept crappy day but at least nothing is wrong with my bike right. Well we get going again and come up to this group of cars. I signal to pass them and roll on the throttle. I get up to about 70 cut in front of them and let off the throttle well it stays at 70 this doesnt register with me until later. Finally towards the end of the day I realize I am having to Roll off the throttle (like turn it off) to get it to engine brake. I am like well thats the problem everytime I would shift the throttle would not back off causing the engine to lurch when I shifted gears.
So now we are trying to figure out what could be wrong with my throttle to make it stick. It does roll off gradually just nowhere near as quick as it is supposed to. Any ideas. Hope ya'll can understand what I am saying. We took the wraps off they have nothing to do with it. :confused:
sounds like your heated grips is binding up the throttle. with the bike not running, roll on the throttle and let go, it should snap back. If not, it may be the wiring for the heated grips does not give the throttle enough play.

llervero

Did you make sure the new grips were install right. There should be no extra rubber after the throtle plastic that goes over the handlebars. If there is any rubber sticking out it would rub on the handlebar.

FitZ6R

It sounds like when you installed the heated grips, something moved out of position and is now causing the throttle to bind. The throttle is supposed to have a few mm of free play, and there should be a small but visible gap (and a large plastic washer) betwen the throttle grip and the brake master cylinder.

You might try loosening the mounting hardware for the brake assembly and adjusting a bit.

jdesiano1

Did you make sure the new grips were install right. There should be no extra rubber after the throtle plastic that goes over the handlebars. If there is any rubber sticking out it would rub on the handlebar.
Not actual grips they are velcro wraps that go around my current grips.

sounds like your heated grips is binding up the throttle. with the bike not running, roll on the throttle and let go, it should snap back. If not, it may be the wiring for the heated grips does not give the throttle enough play.
Hubby undid wraps and did what you said last night, throttle does not snap back it rotates very slow. Wiring for grips not issue

It sounds like when you installed the heated grips, something moved out of position and is now causing the throttle to bind. The throttle is supposed to have a few mm of free play, and there should be a small but visible gap (and a large plastic washer) betwen the throttle grip and the brake master cylinder.

Again not actual grips just wraps. However I was wondering since these get very hot if they might have loosened the glue and allowed my current grip to slide down maybe binding on the bar end? Does that sound possible? There is a gap and the big washer moves freely. Is that correct?

FitZ6R

Again not actual grips just wraps. However I was wondering since these get very hot if they might have loosened the glue and allowed my current grip to slide down maybe binding on the bar end? Does that sound possible?
Could be. I'd say remove the bar end and check for obstruction there. The next step after that would be to disconnect the throttle cables.

There is a gap and the big washer moves freely. Is that correct?
That part sounds OK.

jdesiano1

I think we found the culprit...

Had a rally at the Dragon and the bike was tied down after riding all day. We think the heat from wraps then all the downward pressure from the tie down straps pulled the grips down on the bar ends and it is binding a lil bit. Will let ya'll know. Thanks for all the suggestions!

amirw

I think the best is to revert to the stock grips,
if still happens, then take it to the dealer to fix. You still in the one year warranty i believe. You obviosly don't need to tell him about the mod.:)

gizmogirl

Just fixed this issue.....

...on my FJR. Stock heaters with a Throttlemeister caused symtoms you described and a washer between the now expanding rubber grips and the handlebars solved this slow return. The grips were expanding and although there appeared to be sufficient room, the grip was rubbing the bars until the throttle became a complete push-pull system. Some exciting in traffic!!:surrender:

SilentT

Heated Grips

Has anyone seen a reputable full heated grip package that will work on our FZ6R ? Heard Buel might work ??

jdesiano1

Yeah the grips had just slid down some. Pushed them back up and now it's fine. need some of those canyon dancer tie down things I guess.:p