Help me identify this bike

M

Mattberkshire

Was at the in-laws farm today and they have a knackered old bike I could have if I want it for restoration. It's a twin shock dirt bike with a two cylinder suzuki engine and the name Gilera stamped on a bit of plastic around the rear. No ownership documents or numberplate to help either.

So, come on - can anyone identify this bike for me.....:confused:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SGd5_I_32g[/ame]

R

ready2goriding

The frame is an early 70's Gilera 125 with way too long of rear shocks. Engine appears to be a mid 70's 175 or 250. Any Italian bike from the 70's is a bad idea. Parts are non-existant, and if you find them, high dollar with a 6-8 week wait. Same with engine to a lesser degree. Has no restoration value without the original engine. My advice is to pass... Sorry, I wish the outlook was brighter, doug

M

Mattberkshire

The prognosis isn't good then. What about turning it into a useable runaround? Do you think that would be achievable??

R

ready2goriding

The prognosis isn't good then. What about turning it into a useable runaround? Do you think that would be achievable??
The only problem is parts for normal maintenance. Unless you can make your own, more $$ than it's worth. I've been the proud(?) owner of Hodakas, SWM's, Bultaco's, AJS, Ossa's, + too many more to recall. To my way of thinking, if you cannot get parts, it's no good. I certainly do not mean to be mean or a kill-joy, just telling you my experiences. I really love CZ's, but where I live, they are useless! doug