HELP - Loose Bolt, or ridiculous coincidence?

Jaimison

Hey,

My name is Jaimison, and I had JUST bought a 2012 FZ6R yesterday. I was going through my manual and adjusting the clock and then decided to reposition it in my driveway when my dumbass dropped it... And I'm supposed to get sliders today x.x

Anyway, it wan't a bad drop, I was on it and "caught it on the first bounce" as in it touched and I immediately got it up. Didn't seem to look like any terrible damage. Usual scratches on the sticker, indicator mirror, handlebars and my pride.

The Problem - As I'm inspecting it further and putting the plastic pieces that slightly popped out back into place, I see a 12mm bolt with the #7 on the head about 3 feet from the bike. It looks exactly like the bolt holding the kickstand on which is 14mm but also has the #7 on it. I spent about a half hour searching for a spot with a missing bolt and I can't find it.

It does sound a little farfetched that a small drop would pop a bolt off. But the similarity to the kickstand bolt and this one just doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy to go out and ride at the moment.

I'm relatively new to bikes and no even less about the mechanics (which I hope to change). So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Chucker

That looks brand new. I wouldn't be surprised if it was sitting somewhere inside the bike and fell out when you dropped it. It wouldn't be the first time a mechanic lost track of something and just replaced it, leaving the original somewhere on the vehicle.

DragonBlu

What Chucker said was my opinion also. I've been a mechanic for 40 years and that was my first thought. I wouldn't worry about it.

DanielW0830

Drop could have been a sign...

Imagine the bolt was wedged somewhere, and you rode the bike and the bolt wedged in the chain or someplace worse while riding. That could have been bad.

So in a way... the drop, was your bikes way of shedding dangerous/unused material. Smart Bike, Always looking out for you. :D

Seriously, I can't see how a minor drop would unscrew 20-30 threads and pop a bolt out. :)

Enjarin

Elite Member

Chevyfazer

Yeah what the others said about the bolt

But....

Man your bike is TOOOOO F'N clean!!! Go find some mud or try and climb a hill lolImageUploadedByTapatalk1345890709.113909.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1345890729.479291.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1345890740.446189.jpg

Jaimison

Imagine the bolt was wedged somewhere, and you rode the bike and the bolt wedged in the chain or someplace worse while riding. That could have been bad.

So in a way... the drop, was your bikes way of shedding dangerous/unused material. Smart Bike, Always looking out for you. :D

Seriously, I can't see how a minor drop would unscrew 20-30 threads and pop a bolt out. :)
I was thinking about that too. So yeah, I loved my bike at first sight. And now I know it loves me back :)

It comes with the bike so you have a spare when one falls out. :D
But....

Man your bike is TOOOOO F'N clean!!! Go find some mud or try and climb a hill lolView attachment 27279View attachment 27280View attachment 27281
These just made me laugh alot!

Thanks for the replies though. I took it out since and it's fine. Just got my LoJack installed. Gonna go test it out! :D

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Jaimison

Fake air intake messed up

So the side that tipped had the fake air intake pop out. And all but one snap will stay in place. I tried pushing it back in before completely removing it. Nothing looks broken or snapped off. The end just won't stay snapped and pops back out.

So I'm starting to consider glue... but that doesn't mean I want to. Trying to consider if/when I'd need to take this apart again. I plan on modding the bike alot.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

flyingminno

So the side that tipped had the fake air intake pop out. And all but one snap will stay in place. I tried pushing it back in before completely removing it. Nothing looks broken or snapped off. The end just won't stay snapped and pops back out.

So I'm starting to consider glue... but that doesn't mean I want to. Trying to consider if/when I'd need to take this apart again. I plan on modding the bike alot.

Any suggestions?
I had the same problem a while back! What you need to do is take of the painted fairing piece, then take off the air scoop and straighten a plastic guide piece in the top corner that got bent!! Then once that piece is straight, it can be reinserted into the main fairing and all is well!

Also, where about in LA are you, just so I can wave if I see another 6R rolling around somewhere!

Last edited:

Jaimison

I had the same problem a while back! What you need to do is take of the painted fairing piece, then take off the air scoop and straighten a plastic guide piece in the top corner that got bent!! Then once that piece is straight, it can be reinserted into the main fairing and all is well!

Also, where about in LA are you, just so I can wave if I see another 6R rolling around somewhere!
I thought that's what I did. Though, I'm new to the terms. I just took off that piece that was popping out (by sliding it forward) and the painted fairing. But not the part between the two, which is what I think you mean. I'll try again when it's less hot. I was cooking outside.

I just got an apartment near Santa Monica/Culver City. But I'm up in West Covina at the moment. I should be back there mid September. I'll send ya a PM if ya wanna take a newb out for a ride haha.

flyingminno

I thought that's what I did. Though, I'm new to the terms. I just took off that piece that was popping out (by sliding it forward) and the painted fairing. But not the part between the two, which is what I think you mean. I'll try again when it's less hot. I was cooking outside.

I just got an apartment near Santa Monica/Culver City. But I'm up in West Covina at the moment. I should be back there mid September. I'll send ya a PM if ya wanna take a newb out for a ride haha.
Ah nice! I actually live in Covina, just seem to spend most of my time out and about. And no worries about being new, we've all been there and done that!

Well I'm going to head out and finish changing the sprockets on the bike, I can take a picture of exactly where the bent piece would be if that would help you.