Help Buying Used - What to look for

Tom2112

Greetings everyone,

I have been shopping for a couple months and have finally decided on buying a used FZ6R. In fact, I'm going to look at one tomorrow. It's a craigslist deal. I've asked all of the craigslist kind of questions: title in hand, damage, miles, problems, last time fluids were changed, tire condition, passes state inspection, etc.

What I am here asking is what is specific to the 2009-2013 series of FZ6Rs that I should look out for? Are there common problems to avoid/check for?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Last edited:

yillbs

The Fz is overall a very solid bike, their are no real " known " major issues that plagued a majority of bikes. With that said, check for the normal issues you'd expect on a bike.

Check for oil on the forks. This is quite important, with the cost of these used, they are a dime a dozen, don't settle for one with leaking forks. Also, check the rims, make sure they appear un-damaged along the rims.

Here is a list of other slight issues you might want to look for .

1. If you can, smell the oil, make sure it does not have a gas smell to it, you'll know, trust me.
2. Ask if they have service records, they likely won't, but ask?
3. Check and make sure the clutch compresses, and springs back like it should.
4. Make sure the throttle springs back the way it should, open WOT, then let go, make sure it bounces back.
5. turn on the key, press the read break , make sure the break lights come on, then press the front brake, make sure the light comes on.
6. turn the bike on, listen to the engine below the gauges with the clutch pulled in, and with the clutch released, make sure the ticking sound isn't amplified to the point it's extremely noticeable, this requires you knowing a little bit about 4 cyl bikes though.
7. Make sure the VIN is on the frame :)
8. General inspection, take your foot, and press up against the chain, make sure it's not going up by more than an inch, or an inch and a half. Also, take close note at the color of said chain, AND the color of the lube that was just transferred to the top of your shoe. Is it black, brown, does it look like tar? Is it cleaned? This will tell you a lot about how the guy maintained the bike. If it's a nasty *** chain, i'd walk , again, these bikes are a dime a dozen, anyone that respects their bike, ensures the chain slack is proper, and its not caked in grease.

If you can, start the bike, pull in the clutch, put it in first, and slowly let go of the clutch, make sure the bike starts to move forward before the clutch is fully extended, it might be a clutch issue if not, or just a loose cable, either way, dime a dozen :)

Good luck, i look forward to pics!

Tom2112

Thank you very much! Hopefully I will be driving home with a new (to me) bike tomorrow. But like you said, there are a LOT of them out there. I can afford to be choosy.

As for pics: here's one from the craigslist ad just to get it started. ;)

Last edited:

Tom2112

Well, I made the purchase and brought her home yesterday. It was an all day event - getting a truck, renting a trailer, driving to the owners home, inspecting the bike (it looked brand new), transferring the title, trailering it home, getting insurance, registering it and getting a plate...

Finally about 6pm I got on the bike and went for a 3 hour ride. I'm loving it.

Sorry, no pictures. I was too busy riding. ;)

yillbs

Well, I made the purchase and brought her home yesterday. It was an all day event - getting a truck, renting a trailer, driving to the owners home, inspecting the bike (it looked brand new), transferring the title, trailering it home, getting insurance, registering it and getting a plate...

Finally about 6pm I got on the bike and went for a 3 hour ride. I'm loving it.

Sorry, no pictures. I was too busy riding. ;)
congrats, hurry up with the pics.